It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch 2014

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by donlashway

Thanks for that
No I had not caught up with that one yet. (My Google alert for 'volcano' and 'eruption' did not offer that one!)

Click the image to enlarge

Volcanoes erupting this week ending 31 Jan 2014 contributing to the chart.
Excluding the 17 always erupting.

Dukono (Halmahera Indonesia)
Etna (Sicily Italy)
Shiveluch (Kamchatka. Russia)
Sinabung (Indonesia)
Tungurahua (Ecuador)

Generally activity (except for Sinabung) remains low.
edit on 2/2/2014 by PuterMan because: To add some clarity to the listing.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Mr. Puterman,

I've been following Etna. I just checked the squiggly lines and once again I find myself frustrated. It would appear we are losing monitors. It was easy to predict the next eruption because each graph was increasing and you could follow along. Now, even the ones left online are losing transmissions. At least I had that webicorder one left. And when I checked back to see if I could use that as my only source for reference, even it has gaps. So, at the moment I feel blind. Have a look at what's left and tell me it you think there's small harmonics and whether they increasing. You know, hey, it could always be wind. Winter is hard on the equipment.

I agree general activity is low. But now Central America seems to be energizing.

I think Sinbung's eruptions are directly linked to 2004. The giant quake woke up the mountain. I believe it was awakened in 2010. I wish I could focus. Because I know I read some article sometime that was talking about volcanoes and the 2004 mega-thrust. Or, was it Japan. Ug, I can't even remember the thrust of the article for a point to make.

Did everyone see the picture of that new volcanic island that merge with the other nearby? At one point it looked like Snoopy. That's all I'm interested in at the moment. Cartoons. Check out the volcano on Volcano Discovery. I'll see if I can' muster enough energy to post.
I must be done thinking now.

I found the page. Here's Snoopy.

www.volcanodiscovery.com...

Wow. I still have edit time. I went back and looked at Etna. Now I think it's ebbing. So, I think it don't matter much.

edit on 2-2-2014 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
It looks like another explosive episode at Tungurahua started about 30 minutes ago.
Links:
Ecuadorian Helicorders
Spectrograms (this start from the bottom=earliest, top=most recent--you'll have to scroll down a bit)

Station RETU has the most obvious signals/is closest to the action.

Webcams

I can just barely make out the eruption column in this screen grab from the Guadalupe cam. The clouds are in the way. :

And finally, this report from the geophysical institute has some nice images of the eruption from 1 February.

ETA this amazing picture from twitter of the eruption on the 1st.

edit on 2/4/2014 by Olivine because: add link and pic

edit on 2/4/2014 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Person taking this photo of Sinabung just had to be saying “OH Sh%T”!!!

Volcanic Twisters on Sinabungs Pyroclastic Flows

Links: www.slate.com...
www.photovolcanica.com...
Terrible Beauty

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I feel the same way. But you have nailed it verbally

Thanks for posting
edit on 11-2-2014 by crappiekat because: Sp. My menopause is showing

Just beautiful but so scary.
edit on 11-2-2014 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Kelud (or Kelut) volcano on the island of Java in Indonesia erupted explosively on 13 February.

Eruptions blog has a good write-up and there is more info in the comments.

Good info in this French language blog post by Bernard Duyck, too. (this link is source of image above)

The Indonesian government has issued a 10 km evacuation around the volcano--over 200,000 people live in that zone.

Early reports are of 2 deaths from roof collapse due to the heavy weight of ash/tephra.

Check out this animation of the ash plume.

There are reports of ash falling over 200 kms away. I hope this episode is short-lived.

ETA:
The death toll is up to 3 persons. Six airports have been closed. Incredibly, the eruption was heard over 125 miles away.

Muhammad Hendrasto, head of Indonesia's volcano monitoring agency, said the mountain erupted violently about 90 minutes after authorities raised its alert status to the highest level. The disaster agency said it had spewed millions of cubic meters of debris into the atmosphere.

source

edit on 2/14/2014 by Olivine because: add a bit more info

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
So, you think Yellowstone is going to erupt

A disclaimer form Eric Klemetti in relation to the rumours circulating because of B944

The [Yellowstone eruption coming] story appears to be based on a misinterpretation of public “webicorders”, which are graphics depicting seismic data, on the University of Utah Seismographic Station (UUSS) web site (UU operates the Yellowstone Seismic Network). A borehole seismometer called “B944″, located near the West Thumb region of the Park, has been malfunctioning in recent weeks with strong bursts of electronic noise contaminating its data. These noise bursts appear as wild excursions on the B944 webicorders that can appear alarming to the inexperienced eye.

But............................

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a friend of mine lives near Kelud, she was pretty scared... but at least she lives far away enough so that she did not need to be evacuated.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

It sounds like legit new changes?

Not only was there a sudden rise in the elevation of the ground, and development of new cracks, but a gas called Helium-4, a very rare type of Helium, has begun coming out of the surface. It is the presence of this gas that has scientists quite concerned.

The scientists who revealed today’s information report the quantity of helium-4 in Yellowstone’s gas emissions is hundreds to thousands of times greater than it should be — a sign that the crust is releasing its ancient stores of the rare isotope, the researchers said.”However, much of the helium emitted from this region is actually radiogenic helium-4 produced within the crust by decay of uranium and thorium. Today’s report shows by combining gas emission rates with chemistry and isotopic analyses, that crustal helium-4 emission rates from Yellowstone exceed (by orders of magnitude) any conceivable rate of generation within the crust.” This means the Helium -4 is coming from very far beneath the ground, a clear signal that something big is happening that hasn’t happened in Yellowstone in our lifetime.

www.preppersworldusa.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekingDepth

Person taking this photo of Sinabung just had to be saying “OH Sh%T”!!!

Or saying "Maybe I should run instead of taking these pictures!"

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I keep wondering about Mt. Rainier

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I found this nifty 3-D image of Nishino-shima volcano posted in the comments on Eruptions blog.
You can zoom in and out & twist it around to look from all angles. Pretty clever.

reply to post by warren408

It has been quiet at Mt. Rainer. I was wondering if the repeating earthquakes from the glaciers would return this winter, but I haven't noticed them.

Beautiful view on the web cam this morning. L ink

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

An interesting article that merits more scrutiny, however I don't think it has any connection to the seismograph with a problem.

Thanks for the link however.

I do believe that despite what the experts say it may well be aware persons on the Internet that actually first finger significant changes as they read more into reports (legitimately) that the scientists do. 'They' always say 'of course we would be telling you if something was happening' and I have no doubt they would but when?.............."Oh by the way Yellowstone is going to erupt today. Better run". Yeah right, very useful NOT.

This week's volcano chart. See signature for link to the geophysical report (updating soon)

Click the image to enlarge

edit on 8/3/2014 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
so ...Hekla next in line?

www.ibtimes.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

im sorry to say but no Heckla is not about to erupt ,

en.vedur.is...=table

yes there have been quakes but we would need a lot more in order for an eruption to take place .. but since shes close to my neck of the woods i do keep a minor eye on her .. and every volcano in iceland ..

and a link to the helicorders themselves

hraun.vedur.is...

unless im reading them wrong .. im outta sync
edit on 20/3/14 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

The problem with Hekla seems to be that the volcano gives little to no warning before erupting. The reason for the question about Hekla is the GPS says there's a bulge forming. I looked for that GPS on Volcano Discovery and couldn't figure which GPS showed a rise. Police have put up warning signs around the volcano warning about a sudden eruption. Here's a thread where I posted some info.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

To add. The reason that Hekla may not have preliminary earthquakes is because a lava tube isn't being plugged. If the bulge is being filled out by incoming magma, it may be moving without restriction- just really slowly as not to disturb the rock. Here's an article talking about earthquakes before an Alaskan eruption.

www.sciencecodex.com...

Even in this study, the window for the swarm that brought on the eruption was only 36 hours or so. Another reason for the stated alert is the new bulge means the magma chamber is more full than a previous eruption. None of this means an eruption is imminent. It means an eruption is due. If the chamber is fulling slowly, it still take months. But, within a year or so, an eruption should be expected. Probably the sooner the better. This means less lava to flow, and less pressure. I'd rather see Helka split open as opposed to it erupting via pressure.

Here's some of those articles about Hekla.

www.newsoficeland.com...

www.wired.com...

www.livefromiceland.is...

www.wunderground.com...

edit on 21-3-2014 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
You will need to run this through Google Translate as it is in Indonesian but this is the latest status report on Sinabung

There are some good graphs in the report.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

When Hekla does her thing the quakes start at Torfajokull according to a report I read many years ago. Hekla is more or less aseismic and there may only be a few quakes before she blows. You cannot determine that state of Hekla from earthquake information in advance.

I will see if I can find a link for that report but I make no promises!

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

This interested me because it refers back to something in the EMST paper, that links helium-4 production to other processes within the EMST model.

The core of the Earth is considered as an electrically unbalanced real gas of particles subject to the exclusion principle. The number of its electrons (~10^53 ) is thought to be around two orders of magnitude greater than the number of protons (~3.6´10^51 ) in the core. Excess Mass (EM), is bulk matter which is a product of transformation of simpler and smaller structural units into bigger and more complex ones through a process of controlled nuclear fusions. Hydrogen nuclei, due to electromagnetic confinement, tunnel, resonate and condense into a coherent, friction free, and therefore ‘cold’ super-conducting state. They then fuse with other 2 H nuclei to produce helium ( 4 He) and other larger nuclei. For every 4 nucleons that combine to form a helium nucleus, 2 protons are recycled (Fishbane et.al. I993). Without a source of re-supply, fusioning will reduce to zero as 2 H units and electrons are exhausted

Down in the core, electromagnetic energy is the dominant form in which processes take place due to the extremely compressed conditions atoms are in, all evidence points to density increasing with depth.

The presence of condensed 4 He atoms-bosons into a coherent, friction free, ‘cold’ state is the best explanation for the lack of transmission of S waves and for the extremely low attenuation of P waves in the outer core. The lack of transmission of S waves, implies fluid, and the extremely low P wave dumping, represented by a Q factor of the order of 10,000 (Table 3),implies a superfluid, that is a friction free fluid. If the material was an iron melt, it's temperature would have to be above it'smelting point; but then, due to bulk flow effects, observed attenuation should to be very high --not to mention the problems an iron melt raises with regard to Curie point temperature and geomagnetism. This, friction free fluid helium along with its dielectric property, can explain magnetic reversals. These properties of seismic waves, are strong evidence for the presence of large amounts of the superfluid helium within the outer core.

If there is not an iron core, then something other than the traditionally accepted view of earth's structure is at work.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

If there is not an iron core

The whole concept of an iron core is preposterous. Numpties Scientists that could not work out that the earth's magnetic field does not have to be because it is a magnet came up with the theory that it must be iron, or it could not magnetic. I consider there to be no conclusive proof of the iron core theory.

The lull in volcanic activity is in my opinion related to the electric universe theories and a plasma core, and a period of quiet in the mother of the plasma core for our system, the Sun.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join