It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch 2014

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

Events like Laki can evolve very slowly, over weeks. So just because it doesn't look that way now, doesn't mean it can't get that way over time.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

8 months i think is the record.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

yep.

This is still very early in the game.
There is no telling what might happen.
It could peter out,
or go into something no one has ever seen before,
with volcanoes, you just never know.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I think there is more in store for this myself.

Been watching since it started with the EQs and just waiting.
I hate that feeling.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
it sounds to be easing down now...
silent for the storm?

baering.github.io...

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Re the Laki crisis in the late 1780's, yeah apart from the millions who died due to famine all over the world, it lead to the French Revolution and consequently probably to where we are today regarding freedom.
Volcano's decide how the world operates, not the PTB!

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I was just looking at the time in Iceland, still daylight! 9:40pm
How dramatic would this have been if it happened in the Winter, and everything was white?
edit on 09u24324314 by muzzy because: gads I hate these new smiley's, deleted the one supposed to be wide eyed

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzy

If it lasts long enough, you may get to see the effect yet.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
indeed
I wonder if the cameras will keep going if it does

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzy
indeed
I wonder if the cameras will keep going if it does

Depends on how bad the snowstorms get.
I wish the other cams of the region were active, some were clearly taken off line.

M.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
i fear that this may in turn be a caldrea forming major eruption in the coming days and weeks . may end up being a vei 7 if these .5 + quakes continue and no im not using scare tactics . its what i sense and feel .but im hoping that im wrong

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: alysha.angel

Well considering they are saying that Barda is slowly sinking, and magma is flowing out of it towards the fissure, I can't realistically see even a VEI 1 eruption, much less a VEI 7. At least not from Barda.

www.ruv.is...

"These strong earthquakes are the consequence of magna streaming out of the chamber beneath the caldera", says Pall Einarsson, professor of geophysics at University of Iceland´s Institute of Earth Sciences. "The magma chamber is clearly subsiding, thus reacting to the considerable amount of magma that has been streaming out towards the dike intrusion," says Einarsson. "Analysis of these earthquakes supports this conclusion, as well as nearby GPS measurements of land deformation. We call this pressure changes in the roof of the magma chamber; in effect, the top of the volcano is sinking ever so slightly."

Maybe the weight of the ice finally took its toll. Or it could be new magma that tried to get into Barda and was rejected by 1200 feet of ice that said "no, no, you're not coming in here, so find another place to go." And thus it went running out as a lateral dyke intrusion. And then rejected by rock further northeast, it finally found a yielding path above and erupted in the fissures we have seen.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
its also a fact that any volcano is unpredictable . things can and have changed drasticly in the blink of an eye . like i said i could be wrong but iv had a lot of dreams over the past 7 years of a major eruption at some volcano .( i predicted the 2004 tidal wave that hit 5 years before it happened .. ) and a lot of my dreams have come true in one way or the other ..

i pray their right and this is the worst of it .but those quakes are too large for this small of an eruption and thats what im going by .. as of now its a wait and see what happens kind of thing . wouldnt you agree?

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: alysha.angel
.but those quakes are too large for this small of an eruption and thats what im going by

Well not necessarily if you understand how these particular quakes are being created. If you have part of the caldera roof dropping, and we are talking huge, huge slabs of rock and ice here, that's the earthquakes source. They're different from the smaller quakes being created by magma intrusion. Sounds like to me Barda is emptying, not filling. And even if it was filling, the fissure eruptions have been effusive and non-explosive. So even in that case, I doubt there would have been much big boom at Barda unless maybe so much steam was created it blew a hole through the ice cap. But the magma composition apparently is not silica rich enough to support a Plinian type event- at least- so far.

But who knows, maybe some very evil, super explosive magma will follow from a deep down mantle-derived source and kill us all. Sounds like that's what you want.

edit on Mon Sep 1st 2014 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Seeing a big change at Bardarbunga

6:00pm MST 9-1-2014

6:30pm MST 9-1-2014

Likely another big shake to come & clear the pipes (soonish.)

6:38 9-1-2014

Looks like it grew a tad.

Cam 2 6:44 pm MST 9-1-2014

M.
edit on 1-9-2014 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
6:49 MST 9-1-2014

For bad connections to MILA try:
www.youtube.com...
(That evil youtube livestream with frequently inane chat.)

M.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Maybe more flow.

M.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The latest GPS is in.

Click me

That is quite a drop in height since the last two days, but also quite a lot of uplift afterwards.

the movement seems to have come to a halt since the fissure eruption.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: earthling42

I see what you mean. Wow.
M.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join