It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate GOP fails in final bid to block military pension cuts in budget bill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
So Harry Reid and his band of idiots have decided that illegal aliens are more important than those who have served. Those who have in good faith signed a contract and fulfilled the contract.

www.foxnews.com...

"By blocking my amendment, they voted to cut pensions for wounded warriors," he said afterwards. "Senators in this chamber have many valid ideas for replacing these pension cuts, including my proposal to close the tax welfare loophole for illegal filers, and all deserved a fair and open hearing. But they were denied.”

It’s pretty simple really. The DNC does not want to alienate their new found base once anmesty is passed.

As was said, there were many other ways that this money could have been found through other cuts, but this is a delibrate poke in the Veterans eye in my opinion.

Some will say that 1% is not that much but it does add up over time. And since they have gone down this road now, who is to say that they won't keep doing it?

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

This is sad.
Why can't these retards that we keep re-electing at least do an across the board cut? Then every segment of the voter base can whine about being screwed.
But to cut pensions for wounded veterans while letting the IRS fraud continue for 'undocumented' (read ILLEGAL) 'workers' (read ALIENS) is unconscionable!

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

" A Nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten "

We have taken earned benefits from those that fight and die for this country and allowed them to those that enter the country illegally.

Just the fact that this loophole for illegals tax returns is being discussed and not stopped no matter what is done to the vets says volumes as to how corrupt this government has become.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death." - Sun Tzu

edit on 18-12-2013 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Democrats the big spenders are now the big cutters and the bad guys? I heard Paul Ryan bragging on the radio about how much spending cuts he got in order to avert a shutdown. If Patty Murray had her way, there would be no cuts, tax overhaul, and more spending.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Read about this earlier today,literally makes me sick.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MOMof3

I used to like Ryan until he became a VP contender. And then his true colors really showed. Just another McCain. A wishy-washy spineless politician.

I guess they're right in what some say. Washington DC changes a person. About the only people who I know of that have stayed true to form are Ron Paul and Bernie Sanders. All the others, on both sides of the aisle that have stayed true to themselves and made no bones about it have been kicked to the curb.

I think Congress is playing the "Knock-out" game with this decision. I know I feel like I've just been sucker punched.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Power corrupts. I am 62 and I don't know what to do about Washington. I saw them do the same d*** thing to Viet Nam Vets, three of my family were drafted into that war. Somehow, we the people, democrats, republicans, independents, have got to come together on this. I think term limits, but I have been hearing this for 40yrs and nothing changes.

You and I may look different or think different, but I have never stolen anything from you or you me. That is the head game Washington has been playing with its citizens.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
This has to be the lowest possible things congress and the Senate has ever done. I'm a retired veteran. This bill also included disabled vets that were medical discharged /Retired ,not under the VA Health care system. .

Paul Ryan knew very what he was doing and it was found out yesterday. Paul deliberately mislead member of congress and the senate, withholding information on that this cut included disabled soldiers that are still in the hospital beds as I write this. So the senate passes it anyway! Then " we'll fix it later " WTF is wrong with these people in Washington ? Once again caught in another lie.

There are many other places to make these cuts and the excuses I heard where nothing but laziness, not to explore them. Well Republicans you just managed to pxxx off the entire Military.
This gets you a A Big No Vote from me , and just about the entire U.S. Military.

I myself just had surgery at the VA still trying to correct some damage from an explosion. I can just Imagine how angry some of these disabled vets are with washington. paul ryan said. " they most likely have a second job. " some of these guys have arms and legs missing.

edit on 19-12-2013 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
A lot of folks don't understand this issue ... and a lot of other folks ain't telling (because it's not in their financial interests to do so).

Here's some truth: ANYTIME you see anything dealing with government pay and PERCENTAGES ... somebody's getting' screwed.

Here's some more truth: Your average four-star general is 'entitled' to SO much pay ... their entitlement exceeds the federal pay cap. Yep ... that means their retirement take-home pay exceeds what a congressman makes (and we all know that's overly generous for what it is that they do/accomplish). And ... that's before adding in all the perks they take with them into retirement.

This subject frustrates me more than any other I am aware of.

On the subject of 'illegal' aliens: There are a lot of jobs that wouldn't get done otherwise. People oughta be careful about pitchin' a bitch ... without having a back-up plan, some temporary upheaval, and 'real' change/reform/re-shaping of America.

**Copied from www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Believe it or not...I get where you're coming from. I DO have a financial interest in this bill. As a retired E-7 (which are the majority of retirees) I make enough to get by, barely. I've done my own math as it pertains to me and my age and I will be out $65,000.00 over the next ten years. I can't work a second job as I have a bad back which the VA denied me, even after providing medical records proof that I was injured in the line of duty. They just said I was getting old and [Snip] happens. Of course, I'm fighting that.

This cut is really not going to hurt the retired officers at all...but the enlisted. The guys who spent twenty plus years out in the field...not driving a desk and making brownie points.

People get their panties all tied up in a wad over somethinga TV celeb says when THIS goes unoticed and ignored? I'm next to ballistic on this issue.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Why didn't the Republicans put it into the bill before sending it up to the Senate? After after all they control the house.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

buster2010
Why didn't the Republicans put it into the bill before sending it up to the Senate? After after all they control the house.

There are Repubs and Dems who are fighting to overturn this. It's not quite set in stone as of yet. 2014 looks like it will be a exciting year come election time. But will people be willing to braek with their party? I wouldn't bet on that, but we'll see.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

buster2010

You answered your own question.

The republicans don't care.

Democrats can be counted on to cut military as a matter of course.
Republicans talk like they support the military, but they don't.

Who's worst? The ones that tell the truth or the ones that make nice sounds then screw you over?

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I didn't factor 'sacrifice' into my reply ... as that is one deep rabbit hole. Of course, TPTB don't want that incorporated into the equation either, because the true cost of National Security would make the standing army we have today come quickly into alignment with what is required by the Constitution.

Personally, I'd walk away from my retirement check if everyone else would. That would leave a LOT more available to people like you who got broke. I'm broke too, but not so bad that I applied for those benefits. My elbow doesn't work right, my ankle hurts everyday, my knees took above average wear-and-tear ... but that's sacrifice ... and I gave that up for my monthly pay ... not my retirement check ... it was a choice ... and there were NEVER any other pre-conceived notions on my part.

After taxes, my retirement pay is LESS than a grand a month. Four-star generals are taking home 25 times that amount (capped). They retire into jobs that hand them $$millions$$ in bonuses which you and I could never dream of. And ... if they ever put themselves physically into harm's way ... it was only for the opportunity to claim 'hero' status later on in life. I doubt ANY of them would put themselves into the state of constant risk that is the enlisted-man's reality ... and yet ... we allow 'them' to get away with it.

My parents taught me never to bring up a problem without offering a solution. Here's mine: The American People need to figure out if 'retirement' should even be a consideration for government employees. They should then set an entitlement limit. Anyone drawing retirement below that level should get an incremental (percentage) increase towards that target ... and anyone above should face the opposite. No matter which side of the line you fall on, you will reach that target in three years. ****Get that proposal in front of Congress and TPTB would completely lose it**** ... but it would be FAIR.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
When Ryan says all this money will be going back into the Pentagon, where do you think he means? That's right, unneeded contracts for big donor defense contractors.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

I proposed to my Senator that he put forth a bill that would "Buy out" retirees pensions on a volunteer basis. Something along the lines of 25% of the retirees pension over twenty years tax free. (I myself would not do that, but I put it out there as a option) All without denying VA and GI Bill benefits.

I do know that there are those in this economy who would snatch it up in a heartbeat. And that money would flow right back into the economy.

Hell, there are those who would spend all that money on other things that would shorten their lives dramatically, thusly saving even more money in the long run. Not trying to be cold hearted, just acknowledging the truth.

Others would take that money and invest it or start their own business making the economy even stronger.

Is that a stupid idea? Be honest.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

TDawgRex
reply to post by Snarl

Is that a stupid idea? Be honest.

Yes. That retirement check is a form of welfare (just like their monthly paycheck FTM). If you front-load payment, what's to have them not look for additional/other compensation under another program?

ETA: Thought about this. My response was kinda blunt.

At least you DID something. You addressed a problem, and you did so formally. Good on you, brother!!
edit on 24122013 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

rupertg
When Ryan says all this money will be going back into the Pentagon, where do you think he means? That's right, unneeded contracts for big donor defense contractors.

If you're saying Ryan is a "snake" or a man who "lacks honor" ... we're on the same sheet of music.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

I see a benefit as something that is earned.

Whereas welfare is not.

I've looked up both the terms of Benefit and Entitlement via the dictionary and it pretty much says they are the same thing. Welfare on the other hand is where I find things get sticky. I'm not totally against it, but I'm not totally for it either.

I just put the idea out there as a option. Kind of like the CSB-Redux Plan. Servicemembers who chose that plan are really screwing themselves over. But it's their choice to do so.

But this bill is playing right into the hands of those who are championing illegals. And that is all kinds of wrong. They are letting those who are willingly breaking the law get away with it and punishing those who have abided by their contract. It's becoming a Bizarro world.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join