It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Relativity Paradox

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Hellas
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

So according to this 'paradox', both versions are right. But what if you would have a person right in front of the train, let's say the driver. When he comes out of the tunnel, he should be able to see the trainspotter, when for the trainspotter the train is still in the tunnel, thus he can't be seen by the driver.

Which is kind of odd...

Incorrect. When he is out of the tunnel, he is out, he will see the spotter and the spotter will see him.

The difference is that the spotter will think the BACK of the train is in the tunnel, and the conductor will think the back of the train has not entered the tunnel yet.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Arbitrageur
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

The space time diagrams show there is one reality, so that much is true, but they also show how that reality is perceived differently by different observers. The space-time diagrams are how physicists make sense out of the relativity of simultaneity (this issue).

Here is the same reality as seen by three different observers, which shows the three observers see three different things:

Relativity of simultaneity

Events A, B, and C occur in different order depending on the motion of the observer. The white line represents a plane of simultaneity being moved from the past to the future.

So is the reality sequence A, B, C, or sequence C, B, A, or did all three happen simultaneously? The single reality is that all three are mathematically equivalent in relativity so it's a single reality, just seen differently by different observers.

edit on 18-12-2013 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

This is actually a beautiful example of perspective and how it can kind of layer contrasting realities into one cohesive environment. The reality of the measurement requires or hinges on a limited static perspective...otherwise the values or measurements fluctuate between the three different perspectives and associated values measured. Paradoxes aren't inherently wrong they are kind of like illusions.

I posted a thread about this called Perspectology that goes a little more in depth into what I'm talking about here.

The overtones in my thread were more psychological but have physical illustrations as well.

I really like this illustration though!

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join