It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PETA'S Unbelievable Letter To 18 Yr. Old Girl Who Was Attacked By Bear

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
What law was this young woman breaking PETA?
Oh, none?
Good, then shut the hell up.
and Merry Christmas!
(ooh sorry, you don't celebrate that due to unfair labor practices for reindeer - mah bad)
edit on 18-12-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   

VoidHawk
Am I understanding this right!?!

She went out hunting bears. The Bear bit her. And she's concerned because someone told her to think about it from the Bears point of view??

BWA HA HA HA

The Bear should have bit her head off.

Good bear.

Exactly, I agree with PETA here.

If you decide to go out murdering animals in their own environment, you get what you get.
I think PETA were very considerate and respectful in their letter.

I would have rubbed it in a little more.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Oh, none?

I don't believe they said she broke one. Nor did PETA by writing the letter. The intent I felt was pretty clear in the letter. Whether it was in good taste is separate to that.
edit on 18-12-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by stargatetravels

You cant murder an animal.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   

WilsonWilson

You cant murder an animal.

Ya...uh huh...mmkay.
Well let's say killing animals instead then huh?
Farming is one thing, to farm and rear livestock for the purpose of consumption, provided it's done humanely, isn't so bad.

But if you go around stalking prey and shooting stuff in the woods, then stuff like this happens.
And I think it's pretty fair, it's karma.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Oh come now... I fully support and love PETA. Who wouldn't? The People for Eating Tasty Animals is for all things good for dinner!

Oh... Wait.. wrong PETA? We're all talking about the extremists that consistently say one thing and do another? Err...

Well, those folks are just flat wrong now. They seem to revel in shock and intimidation campaigns from half naked billboards to comparing chickens to the holocaust to keeping a straight face while claiming they are all about No-Kill Shelters. (Yeah.. easy to be, when you shuttle the 'less than perfect' to shelters that will kill 'em).

They could have sent a letter of sympathy, if anything at all. (and was anything really appropriate, I'm wondering??) Instead they choose to make someone feel just a little bit worse than they had to.

How low class.....

* Shouldn't need to be said, but these days..one never knows about misunderstandings, so I note the above as strictly my personal opinion.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
All in all I believe this letter was in bad taste, and bad timing.

PETA should go lecture someone else, elsewhere.

Poor young lady was probably still recovering from her wounds.

My two cents.
Now pass the steak, will ya?

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

They seem to revel in shock and intimidation campaigns

Maybe so

Or maybe the truth of the situation is shocking and that intimidates people.

Maybe there is room for both those being true.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
'Unbelievable?' you write? The letter is cordial & to the point. People like to believe that politics must stay confined to designated arenas & have little place included in one's private affairs and happenings - a notion which is obviously counter-productive if one subscribes to the political features of a democratic-republic (i.e., the political arena is much closer to home than you might think, and this makes people very uncomfortable).

To cover my ass, I condone hunting (although I do not condone hunting purely for sport) and I feel the history is PETA is riddled with laughable errors and mistakes contradictory to their pacifist agenda. And I am pro-gun and value the nature of the 2nd Amendment.

With that said, I get irritated that this young girl expects sympathy for her unfortunate predicament, yet gets pissed off when a letter invites her to lucidly reflect on the errors of her own error-laden philosophical position - which she brazenly refuses to even consider. If doesn't matter if the letter is from PETA or if it is from Miles Davis - it is the content of the discourse offered that is valuable (hence, the political nature of this event).

The question is never directly stated in the letter, but it is more or less the following: does the feature of sentience (the capacity for the perception of subjective experience, and thus, suffering) necessitate certain and definite rights? If the answer is 'no,' then this young girl should not expect any sympathy from her horrific encounter, and further, she shouldn't expect any help or medical care when things go 'wrong' and humans get mauled by bears (or one another).

However, if the answer is 'yes,' then the girl has two options: 1) abandon her pursuit of hunting (at least for sport), or 2) explain just why it is that human suffering takes precedence over that of other beings.

Obviously, the nature of this discourse is complex and the chick can't be faulted for not knowing the terrain. However, she looks dumb for sticking to her guns (no pun intended) by refusing to even consider the juxtaposition of her predicament with that of her attacker.

To add, what the hell is so revolting about outdoor-photography or hiking? Are these pursuits too 'left-wing' for some of you? If you want get away from political discourse, then let me assure you that there is absolutey zero inherently political weight assigned to either hobby - yet hunting for sport carries a great deal of political and ethical considerations, because at its core, it is violent, disruptive, and inconsiderate.

-kissy

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

In the grand scheme of things, there is always room for all views... Can't say anything else without being the ultimate hypocrite in more than one way.

In my personal view of things? Well...Hunters don't have the problem. People who have time to worry about things like other people's hobbys or habits for stocking meat in their freezer have an issue to work past.

Hunting is kinda how we eat and have for thousands of years. Most of it now is what one might call Industrial hunting. We hunt them right up a ramp to various forms of dispatch in a slaughterhouse. That makes dinner for hundreds of millions.

Some, actually still go shoot it themselves ...and personally, after a short stint long ago at a Turkey kill plant? The ones getting shot get the better end of the bargain for how they go.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Yes killing would be the correct word.

i dont agree with you however, i think it more humane as long as killed correctly for animals to be living free, and then caught. Rather than farmed and then slaughtered.
Seems their quality of life would be better, but i guess it's subjective.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   

In my personal view of things?

Thanks for sharing your personal view. I'll post some of mine in turn.

I acknowledge mankind has a history of killing and eating animals. It was done out of necessity. And even today is or many. My personal stance would be if you're in position that you could provide for yourself and your family without the killing of animals it should be done. Ideally. I myself am fortunate enough for that to even be an option. Second to that, purchasing meat outside of mainstream factory farming. Ideally.

It's not so much about the killing but the quality of the life that was lived. That's the bulk of the issue that vegetarians like myself, who are so on moral grounds , take qualm with. I don't agree with hunting for sport. Hunting for food because you need it I do agree with. Again, if you can avoid it, if you're in that position, that I would agree with more.
edit on 18-12-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

Hunting is kinda how we eat and have for thousands of years. Most of it now is what one might call Industrial hunting. We hunt them right up a ramp to various forms of dispatch in a slaughterhouse. That makes dinner for hundreds of millions.

Actually no, we had this whole thing happen...um, what was it again agricultural revolution? Farming?
We have farms and people breed and rear animals solely for produce & consumption, literally no need to go into the wilderness and kill stuff any more, it's just taking stuff out of the wild and nature.
Unless ya just like killing stuff I guesd?

Some, actually still go shoot it themselves ...and personally, after a short stint long ago at a Turkey kill plant? The ones getting shot get the better end of the bargain for how they go.

There are many countries that have banned battery hens and superfarms etc.
Most countries also dint pump their cattle full of drugs to the point that other countries have banned their import.
The US farming (I use that loosely) model is so wrong and industrialised that it's actually offensive.
Which is why people should buy small, fresh, local...farmers markets etc.
Don't support the super farms and town-sized killing plants, and things will change.

All of this debate is pointless anyway.
The letter was not offensive and girl realises now that hunting is painfull and bloody, perhaps she'll think twice from now on, though I doubt it.
I'm not defending PETA nor did I want to debate farming and hunting.
I merely wanted to agree with the posters who said "boo boo, tough *bleep*" to this girl.
If you play with fire, you get burnt.
edit on 18-12-2013 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
18 year old girl hunting ??

Ok.

Everybody who is hunting got what he/she was asking for. You either kill or get killed. No place for sorrow or consolation on my part at least. I suspect they weren't hunting because they were starving.

I feel no sympathy for this girl...and she should consider herself lucky and I agree with PETA...she should rethink her actions in the future.

If you're into killing and gun carrying or are in some way involved in it...you get what you ask for.

To send that type of letter so soon after the attack IMO is tacky and shameful.

No it isn't. To go out killing animals for sport is tacky and shameful. IMO.

And yes, she still intends to go hunting when she gets the chance.

Absolutely. It is in our human nature not to learn from our mistakes. I guess...the bear should be relocated or put in a Zoo...she's just bothering this brave young huntress.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Well, some people see downsides to hunting and eating meat as the human physiology is designed to do. (Check out those teeth closely. You have the teeth of a predator animal, as we are. You also have the eyes of a predator animal...as we are.)

I also see the downsides of over-dependence on produce and grown food. I saw that side for years as a produce trucker and the alteration to the entire environment of some regions to support artificial agriculture. At the levels it's required to feed the population, it makes the debate degrees and types of negative we're discussing. Not a black and white good vs. bad, by any means.

That's my take anyway.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Rainbowresidue
All in all I believe this letter was in bad taste, and bad timing.

PETA should go lecture someone else, elsewhere.

Poor young lady was probably still recovering from her wounds.

My two cents.
Now pass the steak, will ya?

W t f, poor young lady? She was out hunting, with a gun and I guess for fun, people who hunt for recreation deserve more than a little scratch on the ear.

This thread from the OP and some of its replies is truly shocking.
edit on 1820132013Wed, 18 Dec 2013 06:20:58 -060006am1218WednesdayAmerica/Chicago by doorhandle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   

and eating meat as the human physiology is designed to do.

Yet no essential nutrition is exclusive to meat. The shape of our teeth doesn't negate that fact. I recently hit my 10 year mark of being a 'veggie killer' and my physiology seems to agree enough with it that I compete in competitive martial arts.

Yeah I agree with you about the negative impact. That's true for factory farming as well. I think what we should draw from that is the understanding any direction will entail a very challenging task to create the right infrastructure to maintain our huge populace. Whether it's with or without animals, we should always strive to improve it.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Well, I will agree 100% that we should strive to improve our system and that would certainly include the way all areas of it are done right now. In general, it'll eventually be about finding a balance between meat and produce that works and doesn't impact the world around us too badly more one way than the other, given that humans will be impacting it strongly, regardless.

Altho in the thread story here....I think for me it comes down to PETA's general low class and lack of taste for how they operate. They like making misery a bit worse and thrive on offending people. This girl didn't need to be contacted. They could have voiced their opinion or even taken out ad space ...and I say that seriously, because this group DOES do things like that.

Contacting her directly over something to make her feel bad (which was the intent here) for doing something cherished as a tradition in this country by a good % of it's past and current population is how PETA comes to be hated by so many, I think. It's not even about specific issues they come to care about, as a few? I care about too....but I'd be so much happier if they didn't take the same side on even those few.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   

snarky412

Panic2k11
reply to post by snarky412

Again you point is, we need an organization to protect little girls since bears can protect themselves. I think that the move was to the point and could be an incredibly opportunity to make a sport hunters reconsider their actions that were the direct cause of his situation.

There are too many humans and too few bears, that is the final math.

Ah, let me guess....

You are anti-gun

The reason for HUNTING SEASON is to thin out animals, so they don't over populate.
Whether it's deer/bear season, there is a specific time of the year to hunt.
It's not like a free for all, shoot what we want when we want.
There are laws in place to monitor hunting

And I value human lives over wild animals any day of the week

edit on 17-12-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

the reason for hunting season is to feed a hunters ego, not his stomach...why do you think fish and game have to give out "tags"???....because there wouldn't be any bears left if they didn't....you don't think nature had a way to THIN OUT the bear and dear population before man came along????... and as far as "valuing" human life over animals....staying away from meat-eating wild animals, is the way to value human life

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Asktheanimals
Oh, none?
and Merry Christmas!
(ooh sorry, you don't celebrate that due to unfair labor practices for reindeer - mah bad)
edit on 18-12-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

Short and sweet. (insert thumbs up icon here)

My main issue was why send the letter to begin with? What was the point? Why did PETA feel it was necessary to voice their opinion? Who do they think they are to think that their opinion matters to anyone other than their followers?

This girl was not laying in a hospital bed going "ZOMG.... woe is me... I just don't understand why a bear attacked me, could someone please explain?"

So yeah... they should have just shut up and left it alone. It makes you wonder how many more letters like this they send out that haven't gotten any publicity.

edit on 12/18/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join