It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phoenix grocery store with bare shelves......reason?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
This is more for FYI or keep your eyes open........

I went to the local grocery on a whim to make some cheesy goodness for the office tomorrow. It was about eight pm, and like most men, straight to the cheese isle on a mission. I rounded the corner and the shelves were bare.....and i don't mean out of the brand you want, I mean absolutely bare. I was a bit taken aback, but then thought, the truck just hasn't come in yet. I started looking further, and the place was bare, looks like it hadn't been stocked in over two weeks. Entire sections, just empty, I didn't see any signs that there was a special that would have cleaned them out. It looked like a grocery after someone whispers snow in texas.

Okay, so not to get my panties in a bunch, i get some of what i was after (oh, and the produce looked straight off the truck, and fully stocked) and go to the cashier. I ask her, 'what's up, did the truck not show up.'.....she just looks at me, shakes her head, and says, 'i really don't know, we aren't getting resupplied'. Okay, now one more side note, I live downtown phoenix, this is a mid-sized mexican grocery store (largest at a convenient distance without driving to a big box). I go there regularly and never noticed anything close to this.

My curiosity, because this is a lower income establishment, are the supply lines 'drying' up...little by little, to deplete the pantry of those that would need it most? Again, this isn't anything more than a raised eyebrow, especially when the cashier couldn't give me a solid reason why the shelves were bare. Has anyone else noticed any strange lack of product in the groceries?

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pointr97

Could it possibly they are going out of business or closing that location?!

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

That was my initial thought, but no sign of that....nothing marked down, new produce coming in...we have a lot of produce vendors, so they get it from a different supplier than the 'packaged' stuff.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   

pointr97
... Has anyone else noticed any strange lack of product in the groceries?

Shelves are well supplied in SE Louisiana
Every time I go into a well stocked grocery store, I wonder how much longer it'll last, but no, haven't seen anything out of the ordinary here.

I suspect that somebody hasn't been paying their suppliers for merchandize delivered.
edit on 17-12-2013 by incoserv because: didn't edit

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Not to be specific, but can you at least give a region where this is? You should also get some pictures of the aisle along with another day, to show that you are running bare....that is my opinion.

Post Script:
No you did outline the region, and I even started to research that area; and then I completely brain farted. My bad.
edit on 17-12-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

ownbestenemy

Not to be specific, but can you at least give a region where this is? You should also get some pictures of the aisle along with another day, to show that you are running bare....that is my opinion.

Region is phoenix, az.....sorry, thought i had outlined that. Agreed, I will swing by tomorrow for pics, it really was stark bare....and I have been monitoring our local radio stations, nothing at all has indicated a shipping issue. It is a fairly active market, so I don't think it is incoming funding, yet your right...there could be a lack of paying the supplier.

I keep going back to a few threads I have read that groceries are not allowed to keep more than 3 days worth of stock on hand, and that if the lower income stores are 'delayed', that would deplete the supply even more. Making those most in need, meaning those without the means to keep a pantry stocked would be most susceptible without anyone really noticing, or those that would get the attention of the MSM.

I keep thinking about the frog in water story....before we know it, we are boiled.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Cheezy Poofs stocked in Naples, FL today! No bare shelves around down here.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Used to live down there, I'm thinking a couple miles north right off camelback, some off named side street. What I remember was Albertsons was walking distance as was the 7-11 and a taco bell. This was like 15 years ago. They always seemed to be normally stocked back then. I probably would have hit the beer aisle before the cheese, but that's what a 7-11 is for, right?

Wish I could remember the cross street that was like 3 blocks away... I lived in 'suburban downtown'. Wasn't exactly cheap but it was still a #hole. Good location though, actually, believe it or not.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dfens

Actually think i know the albertson's you speak of....not too many in phoenix. This is just an odd area to have depleted stock, i guess that is what raised my red flags. it may be absolutely nothing, bounced check to the supplier, but then could be something else. Kinda like the lack of ammo stock for the last year, the market hasn't recovered, no one has a good explanation except that DHS is buying all the ammo. But gang, keep an eye on your markets, easiest way to control a population is through food. This market i'm referring to is a market that people walk to, it isn't walmart where everyone would notice immediately. It is effecting the local community that 'doesn't matter', even though the community isn't considered, it is a rung in the ladder if things go bottoms up. I will check in on that market tomorrow.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

and I'm already well stocked on beer and bourbon....this was a quick trip for cheesy dip...mmmmmmmmmmm

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Albertson's are on the way out; sadly as it is from my home state of Idaho. It might be that the store is closing and when it comes to food-markets, they don't really advertise a "going out of business" sale. They just close and transfer product elsewhere (including surrounding markets that want their product).

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

oh, no, the albertson's topic is a side note, not related to this market.....this market is a local venue that has been around awhile and very busy. It isn't a chain by any means.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Hi pointr97,

It just sounds like a small market going out of business. I have been noticing that for years now. They don't have a chance against Ralphs owned by Kroegers (spelling?) (here in southern California) and not to mention the super Walmarts. Or the owner may be having financial problems or the store is being mismanaged. There are many reasons. I would be more concerned if the super chains start having bare shelves.

Blessings,
yesterday

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I braved the Walmart at 2300 last night. the truck had just come and the staff was at work restocking.

but I was actually shocked with how bare the shelves were. I have gotten used to a shortage of my beloved sriracha, but I actually said aloud to myself, "wow. place looks pretty picked-over."

never seen it like that before.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   

tgidkp
I braved the Walmart at 2300 last night. the truck had just come and the staff was at work restocking.

but I was actually shocked with how bare the shelves were. I have gotten used to a shortage of my beloved sriracha, but I actually said aloud to myself, "wow. place looks pretty picked-over."

Sriracha is a different beast altogether....the California Health Department has stepped into that one.....

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   

I wonder if the CHD realizes the magnitude of public fury that would result from blocking the supply of the condiment that flows from the rivers of heaven?

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Yep.that's what it is. 9 times out of 10 it won't be announced.

Especially not in smaller stores. Atleast that's how it is here in the East.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

ownbestenemy

tgidkp

Sriracha is a different beast altogether....the California Health Department has stepped into that one.....

The Siracha ban is worthy of a thread all it's own. No wonder California is going down hill. First lead now Siracha, next they will ban breathing in public.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Panties ???????????

SnF

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Bare shelves would make me worry if it was 3 or 4 (all) of the stores in my area.

The closest store to me is a gas station/grocery/convenience store that the owners are letting go down the toilet. The roof is leaky, they are never properly stocked, the code enforcer and health inspector have been giving the owners a hard time. But this has been going on for a few years now and everyone knows the owners have other businesses they care about more than the old gas station place I live near.

Now if the other few local stores around here all of a sudden had bare shelves too, then I just might panic at that point. Of course, when a big storm is on the way, the stores get rushed and cleaned out a bit, but that is the norm and I would expect that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join