It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists discover magnetic liquid crystals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Just wanted to share a new discovery that will supposedly in the future enable for optical devices to work with the help of magnetic field instead of electricity.

They are, however, still unable to foretell where excatly this magnetic liquid crystal can be used...

Slovenian scientists have succeed in creating a magnetic liquid crystal, becoming the first in the world to do so after more than 40 years of unsuccessful attempts, an article published on Thursday in the acclaimed British magazine Nature shows.

The discovery opens numerous new possibilities, an example being optic devices that can be steered by very small magnetic fields as opposed to external voltage.

source: www.sloveniatimes.com...

Also this compound is believed to be very useful in the future. The material operates at higher frequencies and would possibly be able to protect us from electromagnetic radiation, explains Darja Lisjak, from the IJS.

source: www.siol.net...
edit on 17-12-2013 by Op3nM1nd3d because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Op3nM1nd3d
Just wanted to share a new discovery that will supposedly in the future enable for optical devices to work with the help of magnetic field instead of electricity.

They are, however, still unable to foretell where excatly this magnetic liquid crystal can be used...

Slovenian scientists have succeed in creating a magnetic liquid crystal, becoming the first in the world to do so after more than 40 years of unsuccessful attempts, an article published on Thursday in the acclaimed British magazine Nature shows.

The discovery opens numerous new possibilities, an example being optic devices that can be steered by very small magnetic fields as opposed to external voltage.

source: www.sloveniatimes.com...

Also this compound is believed to be very useful in the future. The material operates at higher frequencies and would possibly be able to protect us from electromagnetic radiation, explains Darja Lisjak, from the IJS.

source: www.siol.net...

Just dont put near speakers.

(Anyone from the era of cassette tapes will know what I mean)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

Edit: nevermind

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Op3nM1nd3d

Slovenian scientists have succeeded in creating a magnetic liquid crystal, becoming the first in the world to do so after more than 40 years of unsuccessful attempts

Got to love the dedication and persistence. I love how often I hear stuff like that. Failing for years but still pushing forward because they believe in the hypothesis.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Heh, at least they`re doing something for what they are paid for, can`t say the same for politicians

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

You might have misunderstood my intent there
I was only meaning to congratulate them for a job well done.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

yeah, sorry. Today it seems to be one of those days. Can be seen in my reply to OneManArmy plus noticing few local people here raising eyebrows during conversation
Best for me to stay quiet today

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Lucid Lunacy

You might have misunderstood my intent there
I was only meaning to congratulate them for a job well done.

the fact is nobody believes in any soviet scientists or their discoveries because they are fake or just made up.

when i think of soviet science i see giant iron foundrys worked by drudges and people queing for bread.

even their planes are copies of american planes.they are just thieves feeding of us americans.

we need to punish them.

all the advances are made hy american scientists and the russians just steal our research.

i think we should sue them.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by beckybecky

the fact is nobody believes in any soviet scientists or their discoveries because they are fake or just made up.

when i think of soviet science i see giant iron foundrys worked by drudges and people queing for bread.

even their planes are copies of american planes.they are just thieves feeding of us americans.

You might want to re-learn geography and history
And off topic perhaps also find out from who America bought space program in the first place

Just saying...
edit on 21-12-2013 by Op3nM1nd3d because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Interesting.

Just musing over how this might be integrated into an energy generator.

Liquid magnets..inside a circular, closed vacuum tube, will offer very little resistance to flow of the liquid.

Liquid frictionless magnetic bearings working in repulsion might be another use too.

new topics

top topics

join