It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washing a car at home illegal in NY?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Two guys from NY who just bought a car get harassed by police for attempting to wash it.
Can someone shed some light on this? I wash my car all the time when the weather allows it - would hate to become a criminal over it.
Or is this just an officer meeting a quota?

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mikeone718

Was there water rationing at the time maybe? I also know of some towns that are concerned with detergents being washed down the drain...Why? I have no idea considering all the oil and gas that gets washed down them as well.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Garden City, NY has an ordnance that prohibits washing cars or furniture in public places. The police were following the technical letter of the law.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I used to live in a small community that had a similar law... they were trying to prevent oil, gas and other toxins from seeping into the ground water...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I saw that article on InfoWars.com BUT I didn't watch the video.

I would "assume" (I don't know) that "water rationing" COULD be the "Rational".

Some folks argued the "public washing" at Car Washers should also be ... "Banned" ?

HOWEVER

I will say about the "Car Washers" is that they are MORE EFFICIENT with Water ... BECAUSE ... "Car Washers" FILTER and RECYCLE their WATER many times ... ( and/or that a Single Gallon of Water IS MOST LIKELY used for SEVERAL CARS ).

Just My Observation.

BUT

PLEASE !!! Let us know IF N.Y. decides to FORCE CITIZENS to install ... Toilet Flush Monitors ???
edit on 17-12-2013 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

mikeone718
Two guys from NY who just bought a car get harassed by police for attempting to wash it.
Can someone shed some light on this? I wash my car all the time when the weather allows it - would hate to become a criminal over it.
Or is this just an officer meeting a quota?

I didn't read or see the video. Here in San Antonio, you can't wash your car on a hard surface (driveway). You have to do it over a lawn. I guess so that the water gets used. Or, go to a commercial or self serve car wash where the water is supposedly recycled.
BJ

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

HardCorps

I used to live in a small community that had a similar law... they were trying to prevent oil, gas and other toxins from seeping into the ground water...

It makes more sense when you hear it that way - had a hard time understanding how a driveway can be considered a public area.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

FarleyWayne
PLEASE !!! Let us know IF N.Y. decides to FORCE CITIZENS to install ... Toilet Flush Monitors ???

High Capacity Toilets are now forbidden by building codes, instead a low-flow toilet must be installed in newer homes or when replacing an existing toilet.

Replace Toilet with magazine and we’ve been there before…LOL

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Storm sewers are usually pretty close to driveways. In some places they empty into the ocean, or nearest waterway. It can create a mess.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Im betting its because of "chemicals" and storm drains.

Car washes have the facilitates to drain and filter the chemicals naturally.

I know its extreme, but Oil changes require proper disposal of oil as well, same concept, no chemicals in the storm drain.

Bit silly though, as the same chemicals for washing a car are probably no worse than those from washing laundry in the house or doing dishes.

So baring the above, its cops being dicks, hell even with the above and concern for chemicals, still being dicks.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

benrl
Bit silly though, as the same chemicals for washing a car are probably no worse than those from washing laundry in the house or doing dishes.

Those don't get leaked outside where they can drain into the storm drain though.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Zaphod58

benrl

Those don't get leaked outside where they can drain into the storm drain though.

Good point.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

benrl

Zaphod58

benrl

Good point.

it's on private property, they should use an environmentally safe detergent, and if they get a ticket (which they shouldn't)...sue the SOB neighbors for harassment, and the police for not following the law....and everybody wonders why there is so much anger these days...it's because of crap like this.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
haha wow...

Are you people sure you live in a "free country"?

top topics

join