It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Congress Turning Off Your Televangelist?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
All I could wonder is this political conspiracy against Christian broadcasting , a big business profit grab or simply plain old logic? Looks like this new bill may take away the rule that cable / satellite providers "must carry" local broadcaster affiliates. This could have a big impact on the televangelists. Not sure who else would be effected but there must be some.

Is Congress Turning Off Your Televangelist?

Congress is trying to take televangelists from your televisions.

That's the argument from faith-based broadcasters who are pushing to preserve the nation's "must-carry" rules. The rules, which date back to 1992, require cable and satellite companies to pick up local broadcast affiliates—even the small, less popular stations.

Rep. Steve Scalise, R-La., is pushing legislation to scrap those rules as part of a broader effort to deregulate the airways. Online video and expansive satellite lineups have given consumers so many options that the government no longer needs to decide who carries what, Scalise said.

Now I have no great care for any televangelist but there are many who do. Also this has the slight whiff of the cable / satellite providers backroom maneuverings to me.

National Religious Broadcasters President Dr. Jerry Johnson [says] "These long-standing carriage rules ensure that viewers can access the important and edifying programming their local Christian broadcasters offer free-of-charge."

Still, there seems to be some confusion about which broadcasters would be affected by the measure. Stephen Bell, Scalise's communications director, said that "noncommercial" broadcasters would get to keep their must-carry protections, but he would not specify if networks such as CBN, Trinity Broadcasting Network, and Eternal Word Television Network would qualify for that exemption.

On the other hand if anyone believes that most televanglists are "noncommercial" I've got a bridge to sell you. Just because they offer things for a "donation" doesn't really make it a donation IMO.

Oh yes, to answer my initial question I'll go with "This is a big business profit grab."

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
What buisness is it of the goverment to decide what channels gets picked up or not by the broadcasters? I think the goverment should regulate and distance itself as much as possible from the media.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Personally I think it's none of the governments business but the arguments against removing "must carry" are valid. The main issue is who becomes the "gatekeeper" for advertising revenues. In this case apparently removing the local broadcasters allows the big providers to improve the bottom line.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

They're too late, as I turned mine off decades ago.

WIth that said, I don't think government should be messing with peoples religous or spiritual vices, so long as they are not hurting another person with it.
edit on 17-12-2013 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

What would be next, pbs, NGO, all non profit organization etc... This is bad idea based on greed and everyone should contact representative about it despite your religious beliefs.

The Bot

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

dlbott
reply to post by Bassago

What would be next, pbs, NGO, all non profit organization etc... This is bad idea based on greed and everyone should contact representative about it despite your religious beliefs.

The Bot

I want firefly back should the goverment force FOX to pay for a new series?

Let the media regulate its own scehedule and resource distrabution.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

If you weren't watching before cable, then chances are, you're not watching it now.

If you were watching it, then you still could, just don't use cable.

For example, if SyFy were still any good and still had BSG on (not Caprica) I'd find a way to watch it.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

Agree. This (must carry law) was put into effect to prevent the big outlets from crushing the smaller ones. Normally I'm not in favor of gov intervention but occasionally it has a place.

Many of us remember the forced breakup of AT&T long ago and the struggles that followed. It eventually worked itself out for the better. In this case big business appears to be trying to reverse something to take things in the opposite direction. But hey. it worked for the banks right?

Edit - BTW Beez - Caprica was awesome.
I loved New Cap City.

top topics

join