It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military helicopters circle over Northampton (uk)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I drove into Northampton on Monday (the 16th) and heard a deafening sound I looked above to see 2 puma `copters circling very low .just above rooftops the did this for a couple of laps then dropped below the rooftops and seemed to land. The only place in that direction was the Northampton Boys school or a local private high security mental hospital. I couldn`t hang around so I didn`t see them take off again.
I was intrigued so when I got home and searched the local media on the net nothing and still today nothing. However there were articles dated 10th December reporting three pumas overflying the town

www.northamptonchron.co.uk...

The article stated an MOD source saying they were on "regular training flight" from RAF Benson I Oxfordshire. The funny thing is why this report and not the one where they landed?
Also according to the MOD website low flying in not permitted in town above a population of over 100,000 Northampton has more 200,000

Any thoughts? The only thing I can think of is that Ian Huntley the Soham child killer has recently (allegedly) been transferred to the secure mental hospital

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by dashdespatch

Airforce bases around Northampton

I wouldn't worry too much, just training my guess

Cody

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

They are not allowed to train over a town of that size...that`s my point (or rather one of them!)
edit on 17-12-2013 by dashdespatch because: typo

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Usually military pilots have to do so many hours per month and so many per year. You'll see an increase in flights at the end of each month and especially at the end of each year, as they cram to meet all their requirements.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

You're sure they were Puma's ?

They do seem a tad large for deliveries or personnel movement, be interesting to this if this develops further,

is someone you know you can call and ask in the area ?

Cody

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Definitely Pumas strange thing about them both black and they both had both side doors open .
edit on 17-12-2013 by dashdespatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Puma helicopters are also used commercially.

While military helicopters may not routinely train above centres of population - like Northampton, I am sure they do.

My guess is that they were dropping off the Seven Dwarfs at the Royal and Derngate Theatre for the panto. I will incidentally be going to see Sleeping Beauty in the wonderful City of Northampton in a fortnight with my cousin and our families. Can't wait.

Regards

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

RAF you could just make out the roundels on their rear bodies (Didn`t know we had been promoted to city status!)
edit on 17-12-2013 by dashdespatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

dashdespatch

Any thoughts? The only thing I can think of is that Ian Huntley the Soham child killer has recently (allegedly) been transferred to the secure mental hospital

Interesting.

Definitely wouldn't have been Huntly, absoloutely no reason they wouldn't just stick him in a sweatbox.

Trust me that they treat all prisoners in his very very wide category the same and it's sweatboxes for all.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
So what?

like really

so what.

I live near a RAF base see lots of helicopters flying about and often jets screaming over heard.

does not mean anything

i really dont know what you are getting at OP, so what?

RAF conducting training flights just like your link says.

why does that matter?

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Did you actually read my post? The military are not allowed to train over large towns. I live in a village and we regularly get Tornados Typhoons Pumas and Chinooks flying at low level hell we even had the Vulcan bomber doing low level flypasts for an hour last year! The difference is my village only has a population of 5,000

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

They do it all the time, they do it for air shows for example, training, deployments and so on

do you have any proof that they are not aloud to do this, and even if you happen to do, I can tell you that the regularly break that regulation.

I have seen them do it over my town many times, usually chinook's though I think.

The police and air ambulance can do it as well, fly low.

Just because they were flying low over the town means nothing other than the fact that they were flying low over a town.

I still dont know why you seem to think this is significant.
edit on 17-12-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Nothing to see here..move along..just a training day....my wife saw something like this in Leeds a few years ago..nothing to worry about...just practice

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

dashdespatch
RAF you could just make out the roundels on their rear bodies (Didn`t know we had been promoted to city status!)

I live in the sticks so anything bigger than Devizes is a city!

Perhaps they were paying a visit to some cadet or territorial army bash.

Regards

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The OP states that there is a school nearby. Quite often the forces send military helicopters to schools on recruitment drives, been doing so for decades, even when I was at school in the late 70's. I remember a couple of Army Wessex landing on our school playing field once and another time it was a Sea King.

So, maybe it was a similar event. Not at all newsworthy and would explain them flying low over the ton and dropping low and out of sight.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

i live in a smallish town, fenland area. on the 5th of this month at 7.45pm my dog heard it first, then i did and got up, opened the back door and jesus not that far from rooftop a military jet was screaming past, but it was a noise i had never heard before it sounded like and i thought it was coming down i actually screamed because it sounded like it was on a nosedive, whether the pilot momentarily lost control i don't know but i never want to hear that sound again and i was still shaken an hour later, i honestly have never seen one so close and the noise it made was one i never want to hear again and i wasn't the only one who thought that. why? why fly that low? what the hell is going on, they usually fly lowish round here and every year we have the Lancaster fly straight over my damn house about 5 times and this one was much louder than a Lancaster. i understand they have to train but really? over a small town? theres been one particular military jet thats been round here twice flying really low and i suspect it was that same aircraft, but i have no clue what type it was, i was going to put in a complaint to MOD but...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Probably just coincidence but there were strange jets flying over Preston, Lancashire today - looked like a 70s/80s style fighter jet (have gone through BAe archives and can't find a match - US F16s look very close though) but with a big glass cockpit and white light at the front.

Training flights over here are common though, despite it being a City.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Guess they must be breaking the rules quite often!
www.gov.uk...

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I get them all the time here in my small town in worcs'. They fly between 300-500 ft, I even wave sometimes to the guys in the helo' and get a wave back. They train alone and in pairs landing at my local Hospital.
How far from Northampton General are you? They could be using the hospitals landing pad for training.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

What time of day was it ?

Could make a lot of difference, I'm surprised I didn't think to ask before

Cody

top topics

<<   2 >>

join