It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
John 8:31-32 If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

I do wonder what the truth is that will set you free. I suppose no one actually is free yet, as in no body knows the truth. It seems you have to hold to the teachings of Jesus to learn the truth.

It's so very easy to believe a lie. I welcome the truth.

Alot of academia institutions quote "the truth will set you free".

So really how do we get free. Does this truth magically appear out of no where or is it something that Jesus tells you.

What's your opinion of what the truth is. Everyone on earth is a prisoner.

We all live in the dark. There are people who know more than others but everyone is still in the dark about so many things.

I believe the truth is valuable if whether it can be believed.

How do you go about getting truth?

Revelation of the truth could alter the world. If one person can get free then others can follow. So far there isn't a truth like this.

Tell me about the truth. What's your opinion. Iron sharpens iron. Lend us some of your words.

I have nothing really. I am only a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. Move and shift some of your truth in this thread.

Tell a story that is the truth.

Leeda

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
When a religious person of any faith finally understands that there is no god, THAT'S when the truth will set them free.

In my opinion of course!

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I believe that death is the truth, admitting to ones self that you have no control over this mortal coil. The illusion of control is given but until the final hour we live in a lie.

In death, we find truth, in death we are free.

IMO that is

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Whats going on today???
So many religious threads without any point.

Im gonna go cut and paste some paragraphs from the god delusion by Richard Dawkins and at the end put "discuss" or "what do you think?" and call it a thread.

I think you will know the truth when you stop relying on works of fiction to tell you whats true

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by leeda

Some live in the light and are guided by the light. God reveals the truth in his word and by way of the Holy Spirit.

"If you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding -indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding." prov. 2

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by leeda

If we're quoting the words of Jesus, we're really obliged to go by what Jesus meant by them.
"The truth will make you free" is part of the speech beginning "I am the light of the world" (ch8 v12), in which he declares that "you will die in your sins unless you believe that I am he [i.e. the one who has come "from above]" (v24).
Taking the words in context, then, that is what he means by "the truth".

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
In my experience, if you take in all information unbiased, then the things that are universally, cosmically, spiritually true, the information gives a tingle of sorts within the crown that I can only explain as the feeling of immediate expansion of knowledge and consciousness. When you hear a truth, there is no denying it within yourself, even if you deny it vocally within this plane, the plane of the consciousness and the conscience hears no lies.

Just my two cents.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by leeda

the truth is...

"the world today is such a wicked place, fighting going on between the human race" -Bill Ward

And you got to learn how to fight if you want to survive and live the gift of life... the world devours good people and you don't want that to happen.

Truth is reality which is not always what you see...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by leeda

The truth he is speaking about is actually quite simple... and it does set one free

The truth is... Death is an illusion

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
The lie is attachment to things.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
When you learn to recognize the truth in this world, they usually lock you up or destroy your reputation. I think that John didn't realize how bad it was going to get.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Akragon
reply to post by leeda

The truth he is speaking about is actually quite simple... and it does set one free

The truth is... Death is an illusion

In one way of looking at it is not totally an illusion. It is a change and the body really dissolves. It is just not the end many believe it is.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
The truth in my opinion is that we are all eternal because we are all connected to the eternal Spirit of God, the Now. Life never ends because life is all we have ever experienced. You cannot be aware of being unaware, so our lives have been continuous streams of information called light. The image we see is the light and image of God and we are the image of the invisible God just as Jesus is said to be.

Have you ever seen yourself truly, or have you only seen yourself in a reflection of your true self? Looking in a mirror is not looking at yourself, you have to look in front of the mirror to what you see, the image itself.

The truth in my opinion is that we are all eternal and most all of religion is a lie that has its foundation in truth. Science and religion really are trying to figure out the same thing except religion claims to have it all figured out already whereas science doesn't.

Science deals with the seen, religion deals with the unseen which is why they can twist it whichever way they want and they've been pretty successful so far if you ask me, just look at the world around us. In a world where the "truth" (religion) has been so influential throughout history, you'd think we'd be in a little better situation right now, but we're not.
edit on 32011414CST323 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
The truth will make you free is not the whole statement.It is missing the catalyst.

If you continue in my word you are truly a disciple of mine... then you will know the truth ...then the truth will make you free.

The key is "know" not believe.He said this statement to some Jews who "believed" in him.He clearly made a contrast between believing and knowing.Believing is only the beginning.It is only temporary and transitory at best.Knowing is the purpose of all things.Knowing is a state of being.Yahoshua never said he "believed" in anything.He only tells others they must "first "believe" then knowing (knowing the Truth) is the culmination however knowing the "Truth" isn't an event.It isn't just an "epiphany it is a process just like everything.

Truth can only be revealed not believed.To believe something is to NOT know.The Truth can only be revealed by the creator God.There is no "method" of religious piety or "method" of any kind to know the truth because that is the antithesis of the truth.

Peter was the example of having a truth revealed to him when Yahoshua asked who do "you" say I am and his answer was The Son of God, the christ(anointed one).Yahoshua answer to that statement was "flesh and blood has not revealed this to you...in other words Yahoshua didn't..the scriptures didn't. Judaism didn't...prayer didn't...etc etc...there is no method at all.Yahoshua said the Father revealed it to Peter and the "revelation" process was the foundation "rock" the called out ones (eclessia which is translation of church) would be built (grow) on.

The revelation from the father had ZERO to do with a new "church" organization or a "new religion" then and now.Yahoshua didn't say Peter would be the new "leader" he said the opposite and called him "Peter"(Petra) the little stone".. a pebble.A few versus later Yahoshua is calling Peter "satan"(the adversary). People don't change(repent) automatically...everything is a process.It all starts with belief THEN knowing.Faith without works(knowing) is DEAD.

Yahoshua was ALWAYS making proclamations of what things "are" not methods.He clearly stated NONE would understand ANYTHING he taught.. even the disciples didn't....yet man made (not the apostles) a religion out of words recorded by others of what he said.

Yahoshua didn't say "religion" would make a man free.Religion is what man is being freed from!! The Greek word aphesis used for forgiveness means "freed from bondage" not pardoned.That is an example of the "twisting" of the truth that religion does.

Yahoshua was never outlining a method to "know" the creator God.His purpose for the words he "spoke" was proclamation.Declaring what things"are". There is no religion nor mysticism in what he said or did.The culmination of all he said/preached/proclaimed was "the coming of the Kingdom of the creator God". The "birth of mankind into the Kingdom of God.(and the Kingdom of God born into them).

The creator God is "causing" it ALL to happen. That is why the creator God is ..the creator!Everything is "made" by and through the father.The thing being made(mankind) has only one thing to do...receive...nothing more can or will be done.As the Bard said.. mankind is much ado of nothing.When you are a truly a disciple of "the Truth" you will "know" the truth and the truth will make you free.In one sense ..it really is that simple.

edit on 17-12-2013 by Rex282 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
My truth is that God's spirit does not only dwell in the hearts of people, but it actually creates them. Bill Hicks style "We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively." But at the same time, God exists as a separate, natural being that serves as the model that our consciousness is formed after. There is no truth higher than consciousness, and everything that exists only exists within the context of experience. In essence, I believe we are all created and exist only within the imagination of God.

John 1:3 says "Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made." All things were made and exist for the glory of God, even things made by human hands. That's not to take away from anyone's sense of accomplishment, only to persuade us to give thanks to God for the abilities He gave to us. And even that is not for God's own selfish sense of ego, but to allow us to learn the humility necessary for the greatest achievements.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by leeda

Christ’s disciples are those that continue in His word and the truth that Christ is talking about here is not some arbitrary truth but the truth of who He is. You'll have to read John 8:12-29 to see that because all that comes before verse 30. Salvation is a Person (Luke 2:30; John 8:24) and to deny the Person of Christ, who He is, is to deny the Gospel that saves you (Matt 16:16-17; Mark 1:1; Rom 1:9; 1 Cor 15:1-14; 2 Thess 1:7-8).

This is why Jesus says in John 8:24, "Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins." (John 8:24 NKJV)

And why He asks his disciples, "He said to them, 'But who do you say that I am?' Simon Peter answered and said, 'You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.' Jesus answered and said to him, 'Blessed are you, Simon Bar- Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.'" (Matthew 16:15-17 NKJV)

The purpose of John's writing:

"And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name." (John 20:30-31 NKJV)

>> Alot of academia institutions quote "the truth will set you free".

They not only quote that passage out of context but a whole lot more.

EDIT: Also notice what it says in verse 36: "Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Only the Son can set you free and if you want to be free then know who He is and why He came and then receive Him (John 1:12).

For further evidence you can turn to Hosea 4:1,6

Hear the word of the LORD,
You children of Israel,
For the LORD brings a charge against the inhabitants of the land:
“There is no truth or mercy
Or knowledge of God in the land
(Hosea 4:1 NKJV)

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.
Because you have rejected knowledge,
I also will reject you from being priest for Me;
Because you have forgotten the law of your God,
I also will forget your children
(Hosea 4:6 NKJV)

"but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen." (2 Peter 3:18 NKJV)

"And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent." (John 17:3 NKJV)

In this life the most important thing is knowing who God is as revealed in the scriptures.
edit on 18-12-2013 by VoiceInTheWilderness because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join