It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GlaxoSmithKline to stop paying doctors to promote drugs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

Not sure if it's only in China or the United States as well, but it's a start
Now if only the other drug companies would follow suit

This is one of the largest pharmaceutical companies & they have been known to skew tests results and reward doctors for pushing their medicines onto unsuspecting patients.

Dec 17 (Reuters) - GlaxoSmithKline said on Tuesday it would stop paying doctors to promote its products through speaking engagements and end linking compensation for its sales representatives to the number of prescriptions doctors write.

It also plans to stop payments to healthcare professionals for attendance at medical conferences by the start of 2016.

The move comes amid a major bribery investigation in China, where authorities allege Britain's biggest drugmaker made corrupt payments to doctors and officials to boost its drug sales.

www.reuters.com...

9/06/13

The U.S. Justice Department's probe is focusing on whether GSK and other drugmakers violated the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices act, which forbids U.S. companies from engaging in bribery while doing business abroad.

Although GSK is a British company, U.S. law enforcement officials have jurisdiction over it because its shares are listed on a U.S. stock exchange. GSK's American depository receipts trade on the New York Stock Exchange.

Justice Department officials have been investigating GSK's sales practices in other countries for at least three years, according to the company's corporate filings. Expanding the probe to include the China allegations is a routine step, experts said on Friday.

GlaxoSmithKline Under Investigation For Allegedly Bribing Doctors In China

I have been angry with them ever since they came out with the controversial sugar drug 'Avandaryl'
Which in turn pissed me off at the doctor, who has since retired, for ignoring my husband's complaints of the side effects.

Well, the FDA finally banned the drug, basically limiting it's prescription.
But then the doctor put him on another controversial drug.
We asked him, 'You mean to tell us there is nothing else that would work? He said---NO--

Since then, my husband goes to a new doctor and he took him off the Actos, said it was dangerous, and put him on a milder well known drug. Needless to say, many of the side effects are gone. Yay!!

Boy I hate the way they market these drugs any more, like if they were candy or something
And the doctors are just as guilty, caring more for lining their pockets than the patients themselves.

edit on 17-12-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

caring more for lining their pockets than the patients themselves

It's the way of the world we live in...

Providing service not for service sake, but for profit's sake.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
And some people think they don't deliberately design their drugs to cause illness so they can increase the sales of their other products.

The last thing these corporations would like to see is a healthy, disease free population...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   

NuclearPaul
And some people think they don't deliberately design their drugs to cause illness so they can increase the sales of their other products.

The last thing these corporations would like to see is a healthy, disease free population...

Ah yes.....

The doctor my husband goes to now has actually taken him off of 2 meds, and possibly another, waiting on blood results.
He said as long as you are doing good, I don't see the need for you to keep taking them as long as we monitor how you are doing. *happy dance*

He has since lost 25 lbs. over this past year [weight gained from the Avandaryl], no more rash on his back, not tired and not nearly as 'moody'....irritation/moodiness is a common side effect it seems like

Another thing is that when they prescribe 8, 9 or more meds, how the hell do they know that they won't interact with one another???
Oh, I forgot, that's where they prescribe another med to take care of any problems

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

It's obviously damage control, GSK would've gone about their merry way if they weren't caught in china, now it's not about bribing the doctors but bribing officials.

It really makes you wonder how deep it goes. In the past I've consulted two doctors about the same symptoms, and they both disagreed with each other not on opinion, but on medication. In the end both medications gave me terrible side effects, They couldn't write a prescription quick enough IMO. And since then I've learned never to take anything unless it's absolutely vital.

The quacks want you sick, it's as simple as that. All the drugs they feed you only compromises your body, leaving you needing medication for an ailment that was caused by medication.

edit on 17-12-2013 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Thank God!!

This needs to be illegal, lobbying to doctors from big pharma is a HUUUUUGE problem! No matter the issue, the doc will prescribe whatever medication will send them to Hawaii this year!

I wish government would impliment a law prohibiting this stuff, but who am I kidding it happens in government also.....So it is a pipe dream of mine that will never come to pass completely, but this is a step in the right direction! Others need to follow suit here.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I doubt seriously this applies anywhere but in China.
You see, China has been hardening their defenses against the corruption in the west.
We in the west should do the same against too big to fail and too big corp.
But hey, the most fun part of the ride is the slide down, I'll figure out what is wrong when I hit the ground!

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

g146541

I doubt seriously this applies anywhere but in China.

Here in France it is also illegal. It is also illegal for pharmaceutical companies to give any samples, or gifts of any kind (neither money, objects, nor trips... ). They also are not allowed to have public advertising for drugs. This is enforced.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Not sure if it's only in China or the United States as well, but it's a start
Now if only the other drug companies would follow suit

Here's hoping!

F&S

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Thecakeisalie

It's obviously damage control, GSK would've gone about their merry way if they weren't caught in china, now it's not about bribing the doctors but bribing officials.

It really makes you wonder how deep it goes. In the past I've consulted two doctors about the same symptoms, and they both disagreed with each other not on opinion, but on medication. In the end both medications gave me terrible side effects, They couldn't write a prescription quick enough IMO. And since then I've learned never to take anything unless it's absolutely vital.

The quacks want you sick, it's as simple as that. All the drugs they feed you only compromises your body, leaving you needing medication for an ailment that was caused by medication.

edit on 17-12-2013 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

Not sure about that.
Over the past few years medical companies have been having to abide by stricter and stricter rules regarding "freebies" certainly in the UK.
Most companies don't even try to do stuff like that now as it's far too complex to get approved.

As for your last line.....yeah right.

new topics

top topics

join