It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think of PIRACY?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Still think piracy is unfair for the hard-working artists who spend a lot of personal studio time, writing/composing/recording music albums. The Napster-Metallica incident comes to mind. Fans were screaming sacrilege for a band preaching 'hypocrisy of society' through their music. But at the end of the day, they're just like anyone making a living.

The Operation Payback attacks by the Anonymous group on KISS Gene Simmons' websites in 2010. Is another reminder that music recording artists are the worst affected by piracy. Simmons probably over-reacted. But his comments and reaction proves that anyone will get concerned about their hard work being stolen. Especially artists who depend mainly on studio album sales. Unlike those who perform at gigs/concerts as well.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
No problem with it whatsoever.
Nothing is taken or stolen and Downloading, imo, is fine.

People have already explained why this is, so i'm merely saying yay or nay.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
If you leave an apple pie sitting on my countertop to cool, and I have some of that pie, then it isn't stealing. Secure your belongings.....you have to at least make an attempt.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

AsianAlienKungFusion
Still think piracy is unfair for the hard-working artists who spend a lot of personal studio time, writing/composing/recording music albums. The Napster-Metallica incident comes to mind. Fans were screaming sacrilege for a band preaching 'hypocrisy of society' through their music. But at the end of the day, they're just like anyone making a living.

The Operation Payback attacks by the Anonymous group on KISS Gene Simmons' websites in 2010. Is another reminder that music recording artists are the worst affected by piracy. Simmons probably over-reacted. But his comments and reaction proves that anyone will get concerned about their hard work being stolen. Especially artists who depend mainly on studio album sales. Unlike those who perform at gigs/concerts as well.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

artists either throw a fit because their recording company demands that they do it (even then most artists enourage you to get their music no matter how you do it) or they own the record company and want those profits.

Most artists do not profit from album sales. THey are getting raped by the record company, too. Artists make money by touring and selling crap at concerts. Piracy doesn't affet that income.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

IkNOwSTuff
reply to post by SaturnFX

Whats your thoughts on downloading games you bought back in the day?

Ive recently downloaded Zues Master of olympus, baldurs gate, planescape torment and icewind dale.
All for free and I assume illegally (not sure if they are abandon ware yet as most came out in the 90's) but when they were new I did purchase them (mainly coz I dont think pirating was an option back then)

I wouldnt download any new games coz I think they all suck or are just to complicated for me LOL

Difficult to give a sweeping answer for on that one.
I for instance purchased Elder Scrolls Oblivion for the 360 when it first launched. I then decided to purchase it for the PC (pre-steam) and the disks got scratched and eventually lost. 3rd time, I simply downloaded it, I mean, how many dang times do you need to buy it.
So, I am not speaking from a holier than thou standpoint, I am a hypocrite actually as I have been known to do "trials".

As far as older games, well, Battle For Middle Earth 1 and 2 are pretty impossible to find (and no official servers up hosting games anyhow). I used to own both games (disks) but have since lost them. And since nobody is selling them, even online, I see no issues there.

If there was a place to purchase (extra cheap) those two titles mind you, I would..not because I love paying for stuff, but because I would love to do my part in encouraging them to make a BFME3. the first two were excellent.

A simple way to look at it. a purchase is a clap..and artists will only preform if they get applause at the end, else they will move on to other projects...enough claps and they will do another set. Piracy is not clapping.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

stargatetravels
No problem with it whatsoever.
Nothing is taken or stolen and Downloading, imo, is fine.

People have already explained why this is, so i'm merely saying yay or nay.

I want you to spend a few months writing a book, then publish it.
I then will take your book erase your name, put my name, and give your work away to everyone for free because F you, that's why.

Then write another one...because I wanna give more of your work away....and another, and another...your labors are my gifts.

no problem with it, right? now get to writing.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

In each of the last 3 contests for the avatar creations team, i have had art that I created entered by another member. So what?

There are 5 companies in the world who use logos that I created and gave them. Some make good money.

I once built a macro heavy scheduling tool in excel that would forecast call arrivals (based on prior 13 week vs 2 week rolling history), then create a schedule for about 50 call center agents so that the call volume would be covered to the best degree possible. If you called your local water municipality in one of the larger cities in the "beltway", you likely talked to an agent that my workbook scheduled to be there. Took me about a week of solid work, and i gave it to them for free (mostly because the call center director was someone I had known for awhile).

I think that you trying to win points by employing empathy has its limitations. Especially among those that do what they do because they love doing it.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

In each of the last 3 contests for the avatar creations team, i have had art that I created entered by another member. So what?

There are 5 companies in the world who use logos that I created and gave them. Some make good money.

I once built a macro heavy scheduling tool in excel that would forecast call arrivals (based on prior 13 week vs 2 week rolling history), then create a schedule for about 50 call center agents so that the call volume would be covered to the best degree possible. If you called your local water municipality in one of the larger cities in the "beltway", you likely talked to an agent that my workbook scheduled to be there. Took me about a week of solid work, and i gave it to them for free (mostly because the call center director was someone I had known for awhile).

I think that you trying to win points by employing empathy has its limitations. Especially among those that do what they do because they love doing it.

But what you have listed first off you have given away, and are portfolio builders anyhow.
I am not saying people don't create out of love, plenty do. I am saying however proper companies that depend on revenue for product do not do that, and when something of quality comes out and does not generate revenue, then that avenue is abandoned.

Mods are a good example for video games. Modders do it for love, and every modder out there will stand up for the company in question and their revenue generation machine. No revenue for the developer, no future games, no love modding by the community. This is a perfect symbiotic relationship.

Books...again, a author who writes to pay rent and buy food will only write if its worth the time, else he will have to go find some crappy burger flipping job or something and not continue to write the fantastic stories they weave. Sure, plenty of story writers out there that just toss it into the ether for free..and most of that is crap. The reason authors do well is because they are really bloody good storytellers and are worth the buck paid for the story...you don't want them to stop, and they have to eat..so voila.

Pay for value..especially if it effects frequency of valuable product delivered.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by blueyezblkdragon

I think what happens is that certain areas of law get basically looked at sort of like J walking. Everyone has j walked. Everyone. at some point. But the gravity of it just isn't significant enough. It's like saying you're not allowed to drink water or breath air. We live in a sea of information so there's no way to manage all that at this point. Eventually it will be though that everything is tracked. I hate to say it but forums likethis will be a think of the past. You won't be able to openly discuss anything, even thinking the wrong thing would land you in jail. that's where things are going.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Do you think of pirates as nothing but thieves?

That would depend entirely on what you are doing with downloaded content. Are you using it exclusively for private purposes, or are you profiting?

If you are profiting, then yes, you're just a cheat and thief and I hope the authorities get you for it.

If you just download movies, games etc, the likely hood of you purchasing such material actually goes up quite significantly. Contrary to popular belief most people purchase movies and games AFTER having already played or watched them.

Also, considering that most digital entertainment is chalk full of advertising, both obvious and subliminal, it could be argued they should pay me for watching these things.

~Tenth

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 12/20/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I do not believe an idea can be copyrighted. Nor can a logo, which will be emblazoned on billboards all across my natural landscape.

An author of a book....i am unsure how to broach that. The biggest thing to me is that if i own something, it is my job to secure it.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

I think that a creative mind should be shared and empowered, not exploited with a price tag stuck of it. I know the the world revolves around it, but who the # thought of that theory???

top topics

<< 1   >>

join