It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cycling keeps you humble

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I just thought that others might enjoy a funny event that happeend to me last week.

I cycle to work about 5 km on a nice straight road that becomes a cycle drag strip in the morning with cyclists racing each other and all trying to overtake. It makes going to work fun and certinaly wakes you up.

Anyway I was feeling quite proud of myself as I can beat most of the commuter/ cyclists / weekend warriors on bikes that I encounter on my way to work.

Yesterday, I was waiting at the lights with about 3 other bikes when this lady with white hair, at least in her 50's pulled up on a Giant ocr2 beside me, and leaned over and said "wanna race?"

I couldn't believe it, normally we just race and not challange each other but I felt guilty about taking out someone who could be my mother, but I should have known better she had the sinewy, string bean body like a runner.

So we took off, and I quickly passed her, leaned over and said "you gotta do better than that lady". She grinned and replied "I havn't started yet".

For about 2 km after that she stuck right behind me like glue, and just before my end, she pulled out and overtook me!

When I got off my bike my legs were starting to feel like jelly, and my ego had shrunk like balls on a cold morning

[Edited on 21-5-2003 by Netchicken]

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 06:07 PM
link   
lol did you the phrase "omgwtfpwned!" come to mind?

I always see cyclist out here, I haven't rode a bike in years so I shouldn't talk

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a perfect example of how a wind break helps to conserve energy levels.

Chook she beat you with her mind...not her cycling ability. I have watched many tours and have come to the conclusion ...you can be the best sprinter in the world...but it comes down to knowing when to sit back and when to time your bursts....

My suggestion would have been to let her go ahead of you for a while...see if you can stick with her then bammo...you've studied her cycling and come up with a plan to beat her hands down...

Chris

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I always thought it kept ya sterile........

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Yeah you are rigth Chris, there is a mathmatical forumla for the amount of energy you save something like 25% when you are inside of 2 feet. But I don't normally bother with it on the way to work there are so many variables like lights, cars, slow bikes, that I just sprint to the lead and try and stay there.

Cassini you are right about going sterile but the way you sit can help protect you
and I havn't noticed anything so far

Originally posted by OzChris
a perfect example of how a wind break helps to conserve energy levels.

Chook she beat you with her mind...not her cycling ability. I have watched many tours and have come to the conclusion ...you can be the best sprinter in the world...but it comes down to knowing when to sit back and when to time your bursts....

My suggestion would have been to let her go ahead of you for a while...see if you can stick with her then bammo...you've studied her cycling and come up with a plan to beat her hands down...

Chris

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 06:23 PM
link   
is that the drag like they do in nascar?
I never watched nascar, but I played it on ps2 when I first bought it.. and you would use drag from other cars to pass them.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 06:27 PM
link   
it's like a draft in any racing sport.....The car/bike/nascar/indycar etc in front creates a so called pocket of air so the car behind has less air to push through creating less drag which means the car can go faster than the car in front....

A downfall to this the car behind can be buffeted by the winds coming back down off the back off the car in front creating less downforce therefore less handling ability. In cycling though this characteristic is minimal to non existant....

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Heres the stats on drag.

Gap between wheels (feet) Reduction in wind resistance

less than 0............. ..........................45%
1.......................................40%
2 .......................................37%
3.......................................35%
4....................................... 33%
5....................................... 30%

The trouble is finding the sweet spot the further you are behind the rider and staying in it.

Yeah its the same for nascar as well I suppose

[Edited on 21-5-2003 by Netchicken]

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Sounds like a fun ride to work, good way to start the day.

I haven't done much bike riding since I was a kid but recently have had the urge to add biking to my workout routine. I just went out and bought a GIANT Cypress, really nice bike and extremely light. I'm looking forward to getting alot of use out of it this summer.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 06:36 PM
link   
it was a fun game but i can't stand to watch nascar..
now that i think of it... it was a fun game because i liked to cause wrecks on it lol

new topics

top topics

join