It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Shoots, Kills College Student for Speaking Disrespectfully

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   

The San Antonio campus cop was placed on paid administrative leave following the shooting of a clearly unarmed and non-combative student. What was the 23-year-old student’s crime? Robert Cameron Redus was shot dead by officer Carter at 2 a.m. for nothing more than making a sarcastic remark toward the officer who pulled him over for speeding..

According to the police report, local KSAT News explains that witnesses affirmed that the cop literally “emptied his gun” into the student without warning.

“I didn’t hear him say anything like, ‘Get down on your hands and knees,’ you know?” one witness explained, “I didn’t hear him say anything. He just started shooting. He emptied the gun on him… Boom, boom, boom.Six shots — five or six.”

Cop Shoots, Kills College Student for Speaking Disrespectfully

Additional links here..

Cop Says Redus Attacked Before Shooting, Parents Say Otherwise

Parents doubt Official Account About How Son Was killed By Officer

I am in anguish over this latest tragedy and unfortunately all too familiar event. While Iceland is mourning their first fatal police shooting in it's history, we are being systematically violated, abused, and murdered for making sarcastic remarks.

What the hell is wrong with our police force?! They are ALL traitors and guilty by association simply by letting this guy go and covering it up!! It seriously makes me want to cry, and I'm sure there will be a point in time when I do. this feeling of powerlessness and watching my countrymen by brutalized by these nazi murderers is sickening.

and even more sickening is nobody cares! I doubt anyone I work with will even hear about this, and will continue their daily grind, not giving a # about the state of our nation just football and getting faded. I am very sad about all of this and considering moving out of this country before it is too late to escape this place. I doubt I will because of family, many of whom don't see what's coming, or consider acts like these isolated incidents, not reflecting a fast growing and frightening trend. I guess all we can do now is pray, and be there for each other. and stand up and fight back when we see our brothers and sisters being victimized by these disgusting treasonous cowards.

Blessings to you ATSers all and your families in these absolute #ed times we live in. If there is a light at the end of the tunnel I certainly don't see nothing bright yet!!
edit on 16-12-2013 by SecTownKid because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SecTownKid

What are they feeding these cops?

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Seems the way of the days..

He who sits and does nothing will end up in this situation then we will wonder yet again why?

But we will be told straight legit because the kids mouth was battering the cops ear to roughly and had to be killed, it was a life threatening situation..

Meh, whatever.. We reap what we sow...

reply to post by JohnnySasaki

Power trip, inadequacies, bullies, assholes, small minded, insecurities..

Take your pick, sure tf isn't the way it was back in the day.. Remember those days when you could somewhat trust a cop?
edit on 12/16/2013 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I would like to hear from the handful of officers that are members here at ATS on this situation.

• How would they deal with this if it was in their department?
  • Do they see this being as rampant as the media portrays?
  • What would be their recommended punishment for a fellow officer that was found to this type of excessive use of force with no justification?

That is what I would like to hear right now....an HONEST response to the famed "Code of Silence" that enables this type of behavior in the force.

edit on 12/16/2013 by Krakatoa because: Fixed spelling and other fat-finger errors

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I'm Canadian, so admitedly i'm no expert on the U.S. Justice System but how does one shoot an unarmed man 5 times and not go to jail for it ? I get that he's a cop and all that but I'd really hope this guy gets more than a paid leave. He should be spending some time in Jail.

I suppose I can only hope that the investigation will lead to charges against the officer. It's high time a judge throws the book at one of these trigger happy cops, it's high time they realise that It's a badge, not a "Get out of jail, Free" Card....

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

...Cop shoots college student

First off, Johnny Law is sporting a CHP badge, not a Campus badge, so the pic is sh!t...

2nd: I don't believe the student was a minority, so we probable shouldn't be talking about this.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I am appalled any time an unarmed student is shot and even more furious when it is a college campus police officer, but you have only posted a short piece of what the news has reported. Apparently there was a physical altercation, leading the officer to call for back-up prior to the shooting. The police department has reported that the entire incident is on audio recording and an altercation ensued.

Isn't it a little unfair to leave that part of this news story out of your thread?

Everybody hold your horses.
edit on 12-16-2013 by TruthLover557 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

HUH..... a snippet from the link you provide gives this account:

According to the police report, local KSAT News explains that witnesses affirmed that the cop literally “emptied his gun” into the student without warning.

“I didn’t hear him say anything like, ‘Get down on your hands and knees,’ you know?” one witness explained, “I didn’t hear him say anything. He just started shooting. He emptied the gun on him… Boom, boom, boom.Six shots — five or six.”

Mohammad Haidarasl also witnessed the murder, saying that Redus’ last words were “Oh, you’re gonna shoot me?”

Redus couldn’t believe officer Carter would actually go that far, but Haidarasl added that the cop kept yelling “Stop resisting, stop resisting,” even though it was clear Redus was offering no physical residence, only sarcastic comments.

link to source

On the other hand a snippet of the CNN reports:

A resident of Redus' apartment complex, 22-year-old Mohammad Haidarasl, told the San Antonio Express-News that Redus was his upstairs neighbor.
Haidarasl told the paper he was on his apartment sofa at 2 a.m. when he heard noise outside, and a voice he believes to have been the officer's saying, "Stop resisting, stop resisting."
The newspaper quoted Haidarasl as saying he thought he heard a struggle and "Then the cop said, 'I'm going to shoot.' "
A male voice replied, " 'Oh, you're gonna shoot me?' like sarcastic almost," Haidarasl said.

Less than a minute later, he said, he heard shots.

Link to source

The "Political Blindspot" report has the comment " even though it was clear Redus was offering no physical residence [sic] " (I'm guessing / hoping they actually meant resistance) whereas "CNN" leaves that comment out...... putting a totally different feel to what happened.

Wonder who is right? A little known website "Political Blindspot" or the MSM CNN .... hmmmmm
edit on 16-12-2013 by eNaR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
You said it all.

Cops do these things because they know they will be able to get away with it.

Dis-arm all police officers, and make them carry rape whistles.

Paid leave- wow. (acting suprised)

Why isnt he in jail? Yea- so what does it matter if hes a cop? He killed an unarmed man, he should be locked away period, not sitting on his sofa watching cops for a week.

Truth is- that kid was probably going to do great things, but got robbed that chance by someone who should be in general population with the rest of their kind they put in there.
When I look at cops anymore- respect is the most distant word in my mind.

If I have an Emergency- I will call the fire department. At least I know I wont get shot.

Seriously though- if these cops dont start getting sentenced like the rest of their kind, its going to be a lot harder to feel sympathetic to their pliate in the future.

RIP

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I was very young when my parents taught me "No matter how wrong, rude, or rough a police officer is, always address them respectfully and as Sir, don't argue with them, and do whatever they say".

I'm not saying the victim was wrong for their behavior. I am saying you treat a loaded gun with the respect such a danger warrants. And I'm not referring to the weapon here.

I've been handcuffed many times, forcefully removed from a vehicle (seat belt removal was slower then the cops patience apparently), and have looked down the barrel of their guns. And oddly, I have never seen the inside of a jail cell. A cooperative and respectful attitude goes a long way with cops.
edit on 12/16/2013 by spleenika because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by spleenika

Respect works both ways.

Also- a bad attitude is not a call to empty 5-6 bullets into someone.

Why should I respect someone who kills an unarmed man? Cops are ALWAYS loaded and ready to kill, college students are not. So tell me why this cop could have felt so threatened?

I dont respect psychos with badges who kill and get away with it.

Sorry- but cops arent the good guys anymore, the ones who get shot by them tend to be though, like this kid.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthLover557

First of all you seem to be implying that just because a struggle ensues, it gives cops the right to empty a clip into an unarmed kid? He had a tazer that was not drawn or deployed, why not use that instead of filling him with lead?

According to the officers story he claims that Redus tried to grab his collapsible baton. If that's even true, which we don't know because the dashcam was apparently not mounted during the encounter, couldn't he have prevented this in a non lethal way or subdued him? Or do these cowards need fifteen cops armed to the teeth to subdue a kid otherwise they just shoot them?

And also, how the hell is this kid supposed to know how to use a collapsible baton?

While I respect your opinion and agree that my initial post was one sided and hate filled towards cops, I'm pissed off either way. with all due respect at this point I have zero tolerance for these assholes, the story they are giving us reeks of deception.

and the official story, if true, is of little significance and does not justify this killing. the writing is on the wall cops our NOT our protectors, and I say this because there have been too many instances like this that are either being falsely justified or completely covered up. the mainstream media seems to be following suit.

Praying for this kids family right now I hope this officer gets what's coming to him.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

I agree with everything you said.

However the 2 way respect thing only works between 2 people. Not 1 cop and 1 people.

Cops have the ability to ruin your life. They may rape you, frame you, murder you, and with even the slightest provocation as shown in this article. I am no advocate of the police, I am an advocate of personal safety. Which is why you show nothing but respect to cops, particularly if they don't deserve it. The cops who ARE respectful to you are far less likely to be a danger.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I appreciate the OP including the additional links..but did anyone check and read them?

Redus and Carter struggled when Carter tried to handcuff Redus during a traffic stpo for speeding and erratic driving, Alamo Heights Police Chief Richard Pruitt said at a news conference Monday. Redus wrestled Carter's baton away and hit him with it before Carter retrieved it and told Redus to stop or he would shoot, Pruitt said.

Redus turned around and charged Carter with an arm raised to strike him, Pruitt said. Carter fired his .40-caliber semi-automatic weapon six times, hitting Redus five times — in the chest, neck, eye, arm and thigh, Pruitt said.
Source

HuffPo isn't pro-cop and that's them reporting it. Second link on the OP for this...

I believe I'm going to wait for more information on this one. Something ain't right, and it's not necessarily as straight forward as the first link makes it sound, by the look of that.

BTW....the Pic on that first link also appeared some time back on another story about a California checkpoint for one thing or another. I recall being a part of the debate on precisely where the rifle was likely pointing tho... So interesting how they reused a file photo and that one in particular.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

eNaR

Wonder who is right? A little known website "Political Blindspot" or the MSM CNN .... hmmmmm
edit on 16-12-2013 by eNaR because: (no reason given)

To be completely fair Political Blind Spot has a tendency to selectively post articles that incriminate cops of murder and brutality, generally putting them in a bad light. I should have picked a more balanced article in the OP so forgive me for that guys.

edit on 16-12-2013 by SecTownKid because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Unfortunately this is the sort of people who are attracted to police work, Most police are either bullies or were bullied as children and they are attracted to the authority that the badge and uniform give them.

Even in Australia you can get roughed up for being "disrespectful" and not showing the proper amount of deference Ie kissing ass when getting fined for something.

That said there are some genuine coppers out there but sadly they are few and far between and are grossly outnumbered by the sociopaths on powertrips.

I cant believe he is on PAID administration leave, basically a fricken holiday for murder!!!!

I cant imagine what this kids family must be going through

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
While I'm not fan of the police, the first link is more of hit piece blog, to be fair.

Did you read the other links at all as they contradict your original link and perhaps might take some wind out of your rant?

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   

I agree with you 100%, while the original article may have been one sided, lets assume that the campus cops's versions of the events is true and there was some sort of altercation with the baton... I hardly see how that's justification to shoot him 5 times and KILL him. He could of stalled until him backup arrived and worst case scenario shoot him in the leg to neutralize him, but lets face it.... Every time i see one of these stories. The cops always go for the killshot...

I understand why cops/security/whatever need to carry guns but I also believe the ones carrying them should be able to use a little self restraint.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

My theory, (and this ONLY my theory), is that we are recruiting veterans from the Afghanistan/Iraq theater who have some form of PTSD. Yes, they can follow orders and dissamble a firearm within seconds, but they lack the psychology to deal with situations like this.
I know that police recruiting involves psychological tests and background checks, but you can never read/predict the recesses of the human mind.
We are basically chimps wearing clothing...

Kratos

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I guess you have to think of it this way.

Every time you engage with a police officer, your life is in danger. How you act, will either save it, or end it.

No point arguing the facts of it being right or wrong, it's just how it is.

Next time you encounter a cop... remember, they will kill you for no reason. Don't give them that reason.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join