It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Genius Of Tai Chi

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

BASSPLYR
reply to post by Astrocyte

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Hey Raydar if you're the chick in that picture... And you do tai chi then I recommend we meet up to train... Extensive grappling ... On the ground .

If that's not you then ... Do you know if she does tai chi? And might wanna like teach me some stuff.
edit on 2-1-2014 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-1-2014 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

Yes, that's me. My husband introduced me to tai chi a few years ago. Love it.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RadarOReilly

Hey right on. Ill clean up my act a little then. But hey if it improved your sex life then all I can say is very cool.

Did it improve his abilities and that benefits you or have you yourself actually gotten an upgrade in your nervous system that directly benefited your situation. Just curious.

All that aside what type if tai chi do you guys practice? Yang, Chen, wu, sun? Any favorite sequences?

What are your thoughts in regards to the completeness of the art from a psychological perspective?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know the type. We simply go to a free class in the park. It's led by an older gentleman who teaches by example and by helping us individually with the forms and movements.

I don't tend to think of the art in terms of psych. My background is neuroscience. I suppose I'd go into something regarding mirror neurons and the basal ganglia if I were more inclined to a lengthy reply. Interesting to ponder though.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

No harm in not knowing which variety you're learning. It's all god. I too sometimes participate in a free class at a park down the street from me.

Anyways, I'd actually enjoy a lengthy technical response in regards to your perspective of tai chi from a neuroscience background. You mentioned mirror neurons and the basal ganglia. I understand mirror neurons are responsible for how humans and others learn motor movements from others via observation. Monkey see monkey do so to speak. SO it makes total sense that you would mention that as it mirrors the learning model of what goes on at that park. I wonder if things like tai chi could be useful as therapy for individuals with various motor dysfunctions.

Also, you mentioned the basal ganglia. I'm not too sure what the basal ganglia does but I think its sorta like the main processing unit in the center of the brain, responsible for basically coordinating everything the brain is trying to accomplish. Like fuzing emotional and physical stimuli in real time in response to a situation. I dunno if I got the basics right. But it brings me to a idea that's been rummaging around my head. I notice that when I slowly do martial arts movements with attention to the details, with mindfulness I guess, that it does have a emotionally soothing effect almost like meditation and in return even offers a minor somatic high too. SO thats telling me that the movements I'm doing are modulating somehow what my brain is doing. Like when you listen to percussive music patterns the brain starts to get entrained to the percussive rhythm.

SO could things like tai chi or any similar movement system act in a way like a type of mental therapy too. Could it be used to help autistic individuals and things like that just by the very nature that it seems to have a roll in modulating the brains basal ganglia and that mirror neurons might be one of the best keys in accomplishing this. I dunno if I'm conveying my hypothesis well as I'm sorta typing on a stream of consciousness right now and haven't ever really thought about putting my neurophysical notions into words before.

So possibly there is a accidental genius to tai chi in that it's side effects are so bountiful, even though it was in reality just a family martial art developed by a family that worked as hired security for caravans.

Thanks for responding initially by the way. I realize my first post towards you was a little crass. But boys will be boys i guess. Still interested in a possible lengthy reply if you've got the time. So, what say you Radar?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Ment to write its all good not its all god. Guess I know who's really in control of my iPhones auto correct

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

BASSPLYR

Ment to write its all good not its all god. Guess I know who's really in control of my iPhones auto correct

Will try to reply soon when I have more time. And no worries re: crass boy comments. I love crass boy comments. Hell, I coined the term basal gangbanglia in our lab. That oughta tell ya something.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Yes it does I look forward to your reply

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by RadarOReilly[/.

Double post. I guess my basal ganglia is a little over stimulated right now. :/

edit on 9-1-2014 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-1-2014 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join