It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Secret Complex Exists Underneath Belgrade

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 05:37 AM
link   
An investigation into a mysterious shooting of two soldiers in Belgrade has reveled a huge secret underground complex of tunnels and bunkers beneath the Serbian capital. The system, left over form the communist era, comprises a 2 square mile area. It may have also served as a haven for Serbian war criminals. The bunker came to light as part of an investigation into the October 5th shooting of two guards at an entrance to the complex.

story.news.yahoo.com
BELGRADE, Serbia-Montenegro - A probe into the mysterious shooting of two soldiers has revealed the existence beneath the Serbian capital of a secret communist-era network of tunnels and bunkers that could have served as recent hideouts for some of the world's most-wanted war crimes suspects.

The 2-square-mile complex � dubbed a "concrete underground city" by the local media � was built deep inside a rocky hill in a residential area of Belgrade in the 1960s on the orders of communist strongman Josip Broz Tito. Until recently its existence was known only to senior military commanders and politicians.

The secret was revealed during an investigation this month into the deaths of two soldiers who were guarding an entrance to the complex. Both were found fatally shot.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its an interesting find. One has to wonder is there are other complexes like this in other former Warsaw Pact countries (Yugoslavia was not I realize). Sophia in Bulgaria would be another spot to look, or even Skopje in Macedonia. It is also interesting to note that according to the article, Saddam Hussein like the complex so much, he hired the same design team to build him duplicate one in Iraq.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
This is wierd, how many years would it take to build that place?Of course it would need a huge amount of manpower to build something like an underground city.How could they keep all the workers silent, besides killing them?Anyway, the only thing that i think comes close to this is the underground tunnels built during the vietnam war, it's pretty amazing how they are connected.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
As a kid from 1976 to early 1980 we lived in Yugoslavia under Tito. My dad's company was contracted to build a copper processing plant in Macedonia called Buchem (spelling is off) My dad was an expert in deep mine engineering and was the resident engineer for the project. If there is one thing in a communist country (even one that shunned the USSR) there was lots of manpower.

new topics

join