It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Discover a Jewel at the Heart of Quantum Physics

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+74 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Scientists Discover a Jewel at the Heart of Quantum Physics

Physicists reported this week the discovery of a jewel-like geometric object that dramatically simplifies calculations of particle interactions and challenges the notion that space and time are fundamental components of reality.

“This is completely new and very much simpler than anything that has been done before,” said Andrew Hodges, a mathematical physicist at Oxford University who has been following the work.

The revelation that particle interactions, the most basic events in nature, may be consequences of geometry significantly advances a decades-long effort to reformulate quantum field theory, the body of laws describing elementary particles and their interactions. Interactions that were previously calculated with mathematical formulas thousands of terms long can now be described by computing the volume of the corresponding jewel-like “amplituhedron,” which yields an equivalent one-term expression.

“The degree of efficiency is mind-boggling,” said Jacob Bourjaily, a theoretical physicist at Harvard University and an author of the first of two papers detailing the new idea. “You can easily do, on paper, computations that were infeasible even with a computer before.”

I love perusing these sites

I came across this one just a few minutes ago even though it's a few days old. I'd thought I'd post it and see what others here had to share on the topic.

If true, I'm assuming the idea of modern mans knowledge is continually accelerating exponentially seems to be the case here maybe. I'm not going to claim I know what the implications of this means but sounds rather interesting.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I wish I had a better understanding of the quantom world.

Our reality is so cool, aside from rampant corruption that levels the most active imagination.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I'm convinced its possible for mankind to decipher all the riddles of the universe.If we don't kill each other.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

SnF on this and your other post a few minutes ago. I love physics related info, especially Quantum physics! I'd give my leftie to have a better depth of understanding of it, myself.

+34 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Further proof of the sacred power of Geometry, one more example of old world mystics having an understanding of things that we are only now beginning to comprehend.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Locality is the notion that particles can interact only from adjoining positions in space and time. And unitarity holds that the probabilities of all possible outcomes of a quantum mechanical interaction must add up to one. The concepts are the central pillars of quantum field theory in its original form, but in certain situations involving gravity, both break down, suggesting neither is a fundamental aspect of nature.

In keeping with this idea, the new geometric approach to particle interactions removes locality and unitarity from its starting assumptions. The amplituhedron is not built out of space-time and probabilities; these properties merely arise as consequences of the jewel’s geometry. The usual picture of space and time, and particles moving around in them, is a construct.

“It’s a better formulation that makes you think about everything in a completely different way,” said David Skinner, a theoretical physicist at Cambridge University.

The amplituhedron itself does not describe gravity. But Arkani-Hamed and his collaborators think there might be a related geometric object that does. Its properties would make it clear why particles appear to exist, and why they appear to move in three dimensions of space and to change over time.

Because “we know that ultimately, we need to find a theory that doesn’t have” unitarity and locality, Bourjaily said, “it’s a starting point to ultimately describing a quantum theory of gravity.”

This sums it up. Basically, space-time is impossible to compute, even at our level of technology. However, observed particle reactions with and within space-time, by this method of amplituhedron, allows physicists to generate a geometric pattern, a unique design, which describes the interaction involved and condenses the computing required to relate the observation. Short hand physics particle interaction if you will. Gravity has eluded physicists due to the space-time conundrum, but there may exist a geometric pattern which describes gravity and the laws of interaction. The race is on for that geometric shape, which saves a ton of time writing equations and computing. Physicists MAY have found a HUGE short-cut to solving gravity. Important to note, the geometric shape will not explain gravity, or how to counter it, but the shape will define gravity on an interactive scale and allow physicists to know gravity's framework, without space-time confusing the solution process.

ABSOLUTELY SIMPLE, which is why this may be the trick.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Thorneblood
Further proof of the sacred power of Geometry, one more example of old world mystics having an understanding of things that we are only now beginning to comprehend.

Yup. The anti-mysticism types are gonna be so pissed. Can't wait.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This could have implications for a form of interstellar propulsion as envisioned by NASA's Alan C. Holt. See his Field Resonance Propulsion papers from the 1980s. He describes something that would need exactly this type of discovery in order to work.

Incidentally, his work was the subject of a cover story in Science Digest in May of 1982.

edit on 16-12-2013 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

Some excerpts from the paper:

The relevant conclusion which this latest discovery now helps with (since Field Resonance Propulsion was based on the assumption that what was found in the original post, would be found)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

I'm not completely sure how mystical something is, if it can be explained, or deciphered by by math?

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Didn't Einstein say something about maths describing the universe and how the simpler the maths was the more it was likely to be true, more than likely we're messing around like a few 3rd graders trying to work out basic maths by trial and error in a class and waiting for the teacher to reveal a very simple method that makes you go all homer simpson

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Well sure, now that it's been accepted by science it's cool.

On a side note, i wonder what would happen if they did this to that jewel....
wired

A research team from the University of Singapore has developed a device that can make objects invisible by bathing them in a beam of darkness.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

spacedoubt
reply to post by BlueMule

I'm not completely sure how mystical something is, if it can be explained, or deciphered by by math?

What is mystical about anything? To start with, mysticism is an observation of the unexplained. True, this theory may or may not hold water and in order to prove it, one must decipher the geometry and prove it mathematically. However, if the result is produced for one to observe, in its natural state, then one may begin the process of explaining it mathematically. The mystic quality of this theory is clear. WHAMMO! There it is! Now let us get to work explaining it, reverse engineering the observation. Before this theory, physicists had no parameters to define the interactions, much less describing the mathematics in an equation. The geometric shape, if it holds true, will give physicists all the information in a condensed, easy to relate shape. That so far, is mystical. Once it is proven, if it is proven, then math and science will rule the law in our understanding and application of all particle interactions by way of forces weak, strong, and yet to be identified by numbers, but possibly identified by geometric design.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Awaiting when time is discovered to be composed of space and the same around. Gravity is a side effect of transition between the two stable states. Particles are harmonic disturbances (turbulence) of those same transitions.
edit on 16-12-2013 by tkwasny because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tkwasny

Didn't the article say that this made time and space questionable or was that a different article i was reading about this?

This one

The amplituhedron is not built out of space-time and probabilities; these properties merely arise as consequences of the jewel’s geometry. The usual picture of space and time, and particles moving around in them, is a construct.

edit on 16-12-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

Lol choice avatar pic

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Thorneblood
reply to post by tkwasny

Didn't the article say that this made time and space questionable or was that a different article i was reading about this?

This one

The amplituhedron is not built out of space-time and probabilities; these properties merely arise as consequences of the jewel’s geometry. The usual picture of space and time, and particles moving around in them, is a construct.

Locality is the notion that particles can interact only from adjoining positions in space and time. And unitarity holds that the probabilities of all possible outcomes of a quantum mechanical interaction must add up to one. The concepts are the central pillars of quantum field theory in its original form, but in certain situations involving gravity, both break down, suggesting neither is a fundamental aspect of nature.

It suggests space and time are not fundamental aspects of nature, whereby force interactions should not be studied and defined including space-time. So, yeah, space-time is not natural, or that is what the theory weakly suggests. The amplituhedron defines a geometric design without the influence of space-time, or in a pure state according to this theory.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Boscov

Well ok! I do see what you are saying.
However i myself might apply the word Mysterious. Same root, but less of a spiritual connotation.
If this is how it is..a sort of crystalline mathematics, the macro then reflects the micro, or the nano, or the pico..or whatever is even smaller
, it's something that we've seen, and can reapply. So this is helpful!

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

This could change everything !!
Warp Drive here we come .............................

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

BlueMule

Thorneblood

Yup. The anti-mysticism types are gonna be so pissed. Can't wait.

Yes!

And doesn't this kind of vindicate the Platonic theory of the Geometry of Elements?

Deeper still penetrates his insight that symmetry defines structure. Plato sensed enormous potential in the fact that asking for perfect symmetry leads one to discover a small number of possible structures. Based on that foundation, and a few clues from experience, the outlandish synthesis that his philosophy suggested should be possible, to realize the World as Ideas, might be achievable. And clues were there to be found: Near-coincidence between the number of perfect solids (five) and the number of suspected elements (four); suggestions of how observed qualities might reflect underlying shapes (e.g., the sting of fire from the sharp points of tetrahedra). One must also admire the boldness of genius in seeing an apparent defect in the theory—five solids for four elements—as an opportunity for crowning creation, either with the Universe as a whole (Plato) or with space itself (Aristotle).

Plato's Beautiful Loser was, in hindsight, a product of premature, and immature, ambition. He tried to leap directly from beautiful mathematics, some imaginative numerology, and primitive, cherry-picked observations to a Theory of Everything. In this his ambition was premature. Also, Plato failed to draw out specific consequences from his ideas, or to test them critically. He sketched an inspiring world-model, but was content to "declare victory" without engaging any serious battles. The mature and challenging form of scientific ambition, which aspires to understand specific features of the world in detail and with precision, emerged only centuries later.

www.pbs.org...

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I keep saying that golden geometry is proof of the existence of an intelligent "programmer"(God).
Im just waiting for confirmation.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

spacedoubt
reply to post by Boscov

Well ok! I do see what you are saying.
However i myself might apply the word Mysterious. Same root, but less of a spiritual connotation.
If this is how it is..a sort of crystalline mathematics, the macro then reflects the micro, or the nano, or the pico..or whatever is even smaller
, it's something that we've seen, and can reapply. So this is helpful!

No argument here. Mysterious works fine. I would add, that spirituality, to some, infers a different state of being that shares with a bond to our perceived physical realm. A geometric pattern, as to our understanding, indicates design. I am not for quarreling over the designer, but rather an acknowledgement of the design and its applications to our reality or possible realities both physical and spiritual. Either way, spiritual or not, this theory may encompass all that keeps our feet on the ground, our minds in the clouds, and our eyes fixed on the stars. Hard not to get excited about a unifying theory, especially with many more discoveries to be made by unlocking gravity and in a sense, allowing ourselves a chance to test our new understandings free of the chains of space and time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join