It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sad Decline of '60 Minutes' The NSA interview

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
A lot of articles going around this morning about the interview conducted by John Miller last night on 60 Minutes.

The Sad Decline of ‘60 Minutes’ Continues With This Week’s NSA Whitewash

Don't Believe a Word of Last Night's 60 Minutes NSA Interview

CBS newsman Miller to rejoin Bill Bratton at NYPD

Complete Transcript

The problems arose even in the basic premise; the interview was conducted by CBS correspondent John Miller—who happens to be an ex-employee of the director of National Intelligence, and is rumored to be in the running for a top NYPD intelligence job. Conveniently, then, he was able to pitch a series of easily answerable softballs to NSA officials, allowing them to parrot the agency's standards spiels about bulk surveillance.

Even though I personally haven't watched 60 Minutes in years, I do remember them at one point being good Journalists. This is just disgusting... What do you think of the interview?

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ATSmediaPRO

The NSA has lost all credibility.

60 Minutes has not broke a story in 25 years.

The real war in this Country is against our lazy media.

After all, they knew about these Programs and knowingly looked the other way.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Yeah, I agree, that interview was a big white wash. I watched that 60 minutes broadcast because of the interview and I came to the conclusion it was just to smooth over the public opinion about the NSA and touting all the good is it is doing and that our private conversations are not at issue.

I did, however, like how they described the connections they make with the phone calls that they are supposedly not listening in to. Just a little inside intel, but revealing none the less, otherwise, just a bunch of propaganda to make the public feel that this Meta type data collecting is OK and helping to catch the bad guys. It certainly didn't make me feel any better about the situation.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

The war is lost. Were just being mopped up.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Willtell

Not for me...

I will never give up on my Country.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

The problem with the phone call chain is how many hops they analyze. That is, the NSA sees who the suspect is talking to, then looks at who every person on that list has phoned, then the contacts of those people. It is like playing seven degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Before you know it, you are on the NSA list because the suspect's friend's cousin called you to say your brake job is done. And that was only three hops.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

whyamIhere

Willtell

Not for me...

I will never give up on my Country.

It's already taken most people just don't know it. Been this way for a long time which I suppose doesn't make it out fault? Our forefathers sold us into slavery long ago. I think the trick was before enough realized it would be too late.

Bravo.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

whyamIhere

yeah...and what do you think would have happened to them if they blew the whistle?....how come I don't see any of these staunch libertarians or teabaggers that are in the congress right now, proposing to shut down the NSA, or at least declassify some of this crap in hearings?......and you think a profit-making media corporation is going to do it????...fat chance

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

whyamIhere

I don't think they are being lazy. It used to be that airing the wrong story, or not spinning a story could end one's career. Now I think the bar has been raised and many reporters fear they will end up like Michael Hastings if they expose what is really going wrong.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

These people can say what ever they want in an interview and not mean a word of it. No one would have the ability to know if they are telling the truth or not tell the next Snowden comes along.

As far as 60 minutes, just another progressive media outlet that is pushing an agenda that more and more people stop watching every day.

edit on 16-12-2013 by Battleline because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
They had to do something to make up for going a little too far in their Benghazi story.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Rosinitiate

If I may be so bold as to answer for whyamIhere I think what he means by "I will never give up my country" is that he will never give up the ideals of this country nor of hoping to restore it in the future.
He and I both know that country was taken by coup more or less.
What remains to seen is whether they can shut people like us up who love the United States and would lay down their lives to see it returned to Constitutional principles and sound leadership.
There are millions just like us out there.

60 minutes used to hold people to the fire and do real investigative journalism.
Since 9/11 at least it's become an hour long commercial for whoever they're supposedly "investigating", in this case the NSA.
edit on 16-12-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join