It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syfy channel is garbage. What happened to sifi and the great stuff that was on !

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

desertguy
I remember the good old days of the sifi channel they used to have shows like time tunnel, land of the giants, twilight zone, star trek and other great old shows. I cant stand the shows they have on their now it is just terrible. I did find a channel that plays some of those sifi shows on Saturday night the channel is KMEV I think channel 20 on directv.

I just want to know why the heck did they change to syfy and mess everything up ?

What were some of your favorite old Sifi channel shows ?

The problem is that the guy who owns the network does not like science fiction. He doesn't want you to like it either. Personally, I think it's because science fiction isn't about science, it's about philosophy. Why would someone driven by greed want you to think about why greed is bad?

My personal favorite though, would still have to be Stargate. The first 2 series, at least, had a lot more humor than you generally find elsewhere in the genre. I like to laugh just as much as I like to learn.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

CretumOrbis

desertguy
I remember the good old days of the sifi channel they used to have shows like time tunnel, land of the giants, twilight zone, star trek and other great old shows. I cant stand the shows they have on their now it is just terrible. I did find a channel that plays some of those sifi shows on Saturday night the channel is KMEV I think channel 20 on directv.

I just want to know why the heck did they change to syfy and mess everything up ?

The problem is that the guy who owns the network does not like science fiction. He doesn't want you to like it either. Personally, I think it's because science fiction isn't about science, it's about philosophy. Why would someone driven by greed want you to think about why greed is bad?

My personal favorite though, would still have to be Stargate. The first 2 series, at least, had a lot more humor than you generally find elsewhere in the genre. I like to laugh just as much as I like to learn.

Stargate was my favorite show, my favorite episode was the one where the same day kept repeating, and when they traveled back to 1969. I did not really get much int Atlantis episodes the one or two I saw were pretty good.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
It's all a bunch of poser-hipster crap now. Can't single them out though, all those networks are reality show tripe now. I mean, how many ghost hunting, gator wrangling, swamp logging, gold mining, lobster catching, housewives of (insert city), keeping up with shows do we need? Each year more and more turn up which leads me to believe there is a market, so the networks might be cheap and evil but the masses are retarded.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

I like a few reality shows not all of them are bad. I watch Pawn Stars, and American Pickers those are about the only 2 I watch. My girl friend watches almost all of the MTV reality shows which I can stand none of them.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
It was quite deliberate on the part of SyFy execs. The revenue stream for Science Fiction shows isn't good, because of everything Sci-Fi is the one genre that gets pirated the most. Plus it's very expensive to make, you've got sets, special effects budgets, there's a reason a lot of Stargate happened in that same damned forest.

So when you have this combination of expensive to make tv, niche audiences, and an audience that will prefer to download the show rather than watch it live with the adverts, it results in a scenario where not much sci-fi gets made anymore.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

desertguy

Working very closely with the group that makes Defiance, I can say with a lot of honesty that SyFy's old management needs to be purged now that Comcast owns NBC-Universal. I know they probably won't but that's what happened to SyFy, they started to think after BSG that they were invincible and could do no wrong, and that cheap CGI would cover them. Of course.. it couldn't and they couldn't achieve the effects that were done for BSG and Caprica.. and they got depressed..

Anyhow, I can say with certainty that there are 2 new shows coming out that will blow your mind effects wise (i'm working on both of them as one of the CG modelers) and one will be on SyFy, the other on CBS..

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

I look forward to seeing the new show maybe It will be something I will like.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I think part of the problem is that modern execs can't get passed special effects.

Many old shows were made with little money and yet were good shows because they had good story lines. Just look at all the original series of Dr Who or Blakes 7. They worked.

Now it is all special effects and damn the story line just copy what was done before.

The last Star Trek movie, WTF, who in their right mind would do such a thing. It was mind boggling stupid.

Star Gate forgettable. What were they thinking. Lets combine Star Gate with Lost in Space, add in some sex in the city and a few more day time soaps. Why, just how could they have been so damn stupid.

The problem is that we have stupid execs who now nothing about the genre. All they know is how to play it safe for $$$.

P

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

I did not care much for the new star trek either, but I did enjoy the StarGate episodes.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join