It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Not So Troubled Common Christian

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I've been without God this far

Can you prove the above sentence to be an accurate statement? Just wondering.

AS far as you know there is no God. AS far as you know there is no creator... particles in the beginning... gases in the beginning.. were... just created from ...nothing. Out of nothingness was born something.

To say you have been without someone you know not to exist is rather odd in my thinking.

How do you know "God" is not within your own world and reasoning waiting to be discovered? If there comes a day you discover God you will then be able to prove to yourself that there God has been all along.

I respect your belief or rather non belief. I do think we all have within our brains a concept to believe or not believe in a Creator. Perhaps it's our path or perhaps there is no meaning to life or death at all.

Time tells ALL.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by bally001

Your partner? Does that mean you're gay? I've always wondered how Christian homosexuals reconcile with that part of their faith...I mean, do they just ignore it? Take interpretive liberties? Then what's the point?

No, I think you misunderstood. My wife (female) and are I "partners". Just a term I used. As for my Christian beliefs I wanted to say that I don't practice Christianity in the sense as outlined. My wife and children have no beliefs in that sought. They can make up their own minds but I attempt to keep the young ones on the 'straight and narrow'. Simply be good.

Regards,

Bally

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by bally001

Oh cool! Thanks for clarifying!

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

It is my opinion that just because there may be no inherent meaning doesn't mean meaning cannot be assigned. In assigning meaning, we have a tendency to reorder the nature of our reality. That's what makes us gods in our own right. That's what makes me my own god.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Akragon
reply to post by semperfortis

Well if someone told you your beliefs are wrong...

ah we didn't start the war... but we will finish it!

no rest for the wicked!

edit on 16-12-2013 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
As a Christian, I NEVER tell anyone that they're going to Hell; that is not for me to know or to judge.

I also make it a rule to not push my beliefs on anyone. The way I see it, if they're among the chosen, they'll come around when they're supposed to.

When it comes to sharing my beliefs and personal understanding of my faith, I only do so when prompted through a discussion (I.E. when they show interest). When I was a young Christian, I was one of those on fire Christians who would take any opportunity to talk about Jesus, but as I've grown older, I've realized that I can talk until I'm blue in the face, and it won't make a lick of difference to someone that has no interest or desire to hear it.

The best approach for me is as I mentioned above, and beyond that, I live and let live. As long as they keep their beliefs out of my life, I'll keep mine out of theirs.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

semperfortis
It was only after giving my soul to the One that really matters, that I discovered how very weak I am without Him.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for your religion.

semperfortis He then asked if he was going to hell and I said if he did not believe yes… He is a self-professed atheist.. He no longer cares for me which is rather funny if you look at it.

I think most people would be upset to find out they have gotten close to people who actually believe there is a place of torment for good people who simply don't subscribe to the same exact god (one of thousands) that they do.

You example of Mordor fits if the person telling me that actually believed in Mordor. To be honest, I might distance myself a bit from that person.

semperfortis
So maybe, just maybe, the insecurity of the non-believer is becoming more and more apparent?

Or maybe telling people that you believe they are bound for hell is a bit off-putting. Don't mistaken their distaste for your words for confusing your reality with theirs.

semperfortis
As I am a true believer, I can only pray for their salvation

Let's start by telling people about the other parts in the bible like the ones who say that only your god can judge a person or speculate their destination in the afterlife. I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to be telling people which way you are placing your wagers.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
It is so sad

But it is written that many will be called and few will be chosen

So this thread is just perfect

edit on 12/16/2013 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

semperfortis
It is so sad

called for what and chosen for what?..i assume you believe he meant those who are going to Heaven.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by gadfire

If you assume

I need not reply

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

semperfortis
reply to post by gadfire

If you assume

I need not reply

smart answer.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

SisyphusRide

Akragon

Well if someone told you your beliefs are wrong...

ah we didn't start the war... but we will finish it!

no rest for the wicked!

edit on 16-12-2013 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

I beg to differ...

Religion almost always starts the "war"...

And hopefully one day humanity will be finished with it

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Hey Semper,
Good thread... and why I absolutely do not discuss my spirituality or religion with just anyone.. usually not even on here, BUT: I believe in God.. probably not the neutered Christian god of this time period so many do, though. I do believe in Christ. I do believe in a new covenant. I DO NOT believe what passes for Christianity these days by any means. People are burnt on this Christianity because its IS bogus. This god they have out there in so many churches might as well be called a sky fairy or whatever demeaning thing folks decide to degrade "christians" with these days. My God is the one who is a jealous judgemental God.. one who does judge and hate.. and who it would make sense to fear.. beginning of knowledge and all of that. The God of Battle and war in His name. You might have read about that one.. the I AM.
Things change, new covenants and things. Still, warriors are useful. I also had an occasion to believe in things that are not seen, but hoped for. I guess Id have been a apostate or heretic ( definitely a heretic) in years past.. now Im just a crank. A crank that knows exactly where Im going.
I dont call myself a Christian because I dont wish to be lumped in with the others.

You mentioned approaching the alter in church? I have a home alter... antique to appeal to me aesthetically, but an alter anyway.

People who dont want to believe, wont. People who want to scoff and scorn religion and the religious, will. People who want to put out there that thay are xtian and trash christianity.. plentiful. I think that when fishing for men in a septic tank.... you catch turds.

nite nite

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Akragon
I beg to differ...

Religion almost always starts the "war"...

And hopefully one day humanity will be finished with it

sheet! for my particular situation it is simply untrue...

if Dawkins and his followers weren't so empowered in Christendom we all might just get along?

I've said it before but I won't say it again... they need to focus their attention elsewhere because focusing on Christians and those who built their society of freedom is like biting the hand that feeds you... and appears very much like a brand of communism.

and at some point patriots must step forward

God and Country yeehaw!

bring it!

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   

ProfessorChaos
As a Christian, I NEVER tell anyone that they're going to Hell; that is not for me to know or to judge.

I also make it a rule to not push my beliefs on anyone. The way I see it, if they're among the chosen, they'll come around when they're supposed to.

When it comes to sharing my beliefs and personal understanding of my faith, I only do so when prompted through a discussion (I.E. when they show interest). When I was a young Christian, I was one of those on fire Christians who would take any opportunity to talk about Jesus, but as I've grown older, I've realized that I can talk until I'm blue in the face, and it won't make a lick of difference to someone that has no interest or desire to hear it.

The best approach for me is as I mentioned above, and beyond that, I live and let live. As long as they keep their beliefs out of my life, I'll keep mine out of theirs.

I agree with most of the above but there is one thing I am sure of because I've seen it in others and even myself... but if you invoke the name of the lord enough times to even a hardened metal head such as me, and I used to be one of them btw... but if they want blood! they got it! throw enough of it on em and you have a better success ratio than you may imagine.

edit on 17-12-2013 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   

semperfortis
It is so sad

I do not think you have to be chosen on this side to still have the same kind of personality that you need on the next level (heaven for christians). Do not think god will discard because of that, since it would be against highest ideals.

It is like in a team of any sport. Some are chosen to play, many are waiting on the sidelines for a time to be awoken and serve in a symbiotic way.

Meeting god is a life changing event and god has the answers to any question a seeker can ask and I am not talking about religion.

This is the only line really needed to meet god from the bible:
Matthew 7:7
"Keep asking, and it will be given to you. Keep searching, and you will find. Keep knocking, and the door will be opened for you.

The one who seeks and question without stop will sooner or later find god, since god will allow itself to be found.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

SisyphusRide

if Dawkins and his followers weren't so empowered in Christendom we all might just get along?

For me Dawkins is a preacher of an Atheist religion and very dualistic (one way view) that he feel is right kind of science and understanding.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

semperfortis
It is so sad

What's really sad is there are people that believe that. In believing such one will set himself higher than another and believe they are the chosen when in fact we are all chosen otherwise we would not be here.

The Good, bad, and ugly will reap what they ( we ) sow time after time until the soul is complete in the light. That's what we have been chosen to do. Express our self in the Word.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

Dawkins = 1984

science can't explain ethics, morality or love... it came from somewhere and obviously if we were just animals we would be tearing eachother apart living a life of Hedonism.

Dawkins can do what he wants to... look this fruitcake writes books and sells 3 million copies doing real damage, and he's free to roam on the hunt!

edit on 17-12-2013 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

You should pick up a psychology book more often. Your education is clearly lacking. You sound like the '' you can't explain that! '' guy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join