It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grinch steals Power Tools gets 70 years in Prison WOW

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Snarl

Not if I was the boss. She'd get two slices of bread and the equivalent of 8 glasses of water a day (through the crack under the door of course) ... and the cell door would never be opened once in those 70 years. Start making people serve their sentences ... and crime will diminish. Pandering to the convicted encourages them.

The system needs to pay the wrongly convicted ... and that's only after we're sure it wasn't a set-up for that express purpose.

I'm tired of crime.
edit on 16122013 by Snarl because: Formatting

It funny the harder you are on crime the wosre it gets!

If you look to the scandinavia countrys who focus more on rehabilitation you will find a mush lower reoffending rate.

USA that bangs you up for even the most minor of crimes (providing your poor or have no connections of course) has one of the highest crime rates in the devloped world.

I agree rapists and Muders and other violent criminals should be handed draconian sentances with poor conditions.

But theft and white coller crime? Focus of rehabiliation. And dont get me started on drugs.
edit on 16-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

While I'm not going to disagree with what you've got to say ... I'm very willing to let a jury decide the length of the sentence. After that ...

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

crazyewok
Only last week texas let a brat who killed 4 off and crippled another off with just probation for being rich.

Jury's sentence versus a judge's sentence.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Snarl

Not if I was the boss. She'd get two slices of bread and the equivalent of 8 glasses of water a day (through the crack under the door of course) ... and the cell door would never be opened once in those 70 years. Start making people serve their sentences ... and crime will diminish. Pandering to the convicted encourages them.

The system needs to pay the wrongly convicted ... and that's only after we're sure it wasn't a set-up for that express purpose.

I'm tired of crime.
edit on 16122013 by Snarl because: Formatting

I'm hearing you are tired of crime.

Just wondering what evidence you have for methods such as the ones you described deterring people from commit.

If you looked at the evidence I think you will find that it is not the case.
Stopping crime is far deeper and has far more factors than punishment.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

because they clearly have no place in this world.

They have no place in this world? I think you mean society, looks like your brainwashed.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
While California and Texas have the recent Supreme Court rulings when it comes to proportionality of sentences, I don't see the 3 strike rule maintaining its lawful status in the near future.

While the 8th amendment doesn't spell out proportionality (just cruel and unusual punishment), several rulings have gone towards the punishment being proportional to the crime. Some states have had their 3 strike rules struck down since they were sending people to prison for life without parole on misdemeanor convictions.

I have no sympathy for those who break the law and are held accountable. I do have issues when the punishment outstrips the crime.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   

liejunkie01
Our system is broken.

Killers, rapists, and child offenders get less time than many other lesser crimes.

I'm not going to judge her but her wrap sheet isn't on Santa's "good list".

My brother just got sentenced to 12 years for intent to manufacture drugs, while I just went and got a friend who was released from prison after servibg only 3 1/2 years after hitting a guy(DUI) on a bike and leaving him to die along the road.

Our system is intended to be fair and help people. But it is exactly the opposite.

What is actually, factually worse?
Not trying to justify things, much, here, but....
Manufacture drugs that many people use for years and die... or one accident that only kills one person?

I'm always told to look at "the BIG PICTURE" and in the big picture I'm always shown little things and not the cumulative things.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Can't really look at the bigger picture if we don't know the full facts.

Perhaps the drugs were for nobody other than himself?

Were they drugs that can kill? Perhaps they were not as dangerous and addictive as, say, Meth but more like D M T? Even MDMA?
edit on 17-12-2013 by b14warrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   

crazyewok
Only last week texas let a brat who killed 4 off and crippled another off with just probation for being rich.

Somehow, I don't think she has much money. Her sentence seems to reflect that.

In the US, does the jury decide the sentence? Here, the jury only decides the verdict, and the judge decides the sentence.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthFazer

I find this case interesting, for the paradoxes it presents, if not for any other reason.

A number of points stand out to me, and I would like to list them.

1) This most recent offense, committed by the convicted woman, does not warrant such a harsh penalty as the one that has been handed down.

2) The woman should not have been at large, and therefore able to commit this offense, since reason suggests that she should have still been in jail on the "solicitation to commit murder" issue, which I assume refers to some awful murder for hire plot, in which she was previously involved. I think it is fair to say, that if society wishes to be rid of people who would kill for money, such a crime ought to come with a mandatory whole life term.

3) But, whether she should have been in jail already or not, the fact remains that the sentence imposed in this case has very little to do with the crime that was being prosecuted that day, and more to do with the fact that the defendant had priors, and (perhaps understandably) was seen as never having paid for them appropriately.

While I personally value justice ABOVE law, because justice is pure by nature, and law is corrupt by necessity, the law must stand if it is to be considered important by people. Governments, and societies may have their priorities mixed up where law and justice are concerned (frankly, murderers, child molesters, gangsters and the like ought to be terminated upon capture in my book, and all law does is get in the way), but if they are going to insist on a love of the law, then surely that law must be followed!

The sentencing judge should know better than to hand down a sentence like this for a charge of this comparatively minor sort, because that will merely leave an opening through which the defendant could at some point remove herself from incarceration, before a sensible term has been completed.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

You stole my thunder, I was going to mention child rapists that are paroled (or acquitted) that should be executed!
I's a great justice system, if she was famous or rich, she would walk!
By the way, I am lazy and didn't read the whole article so if I am way off-base, just call me an idiot and move along!

edit on 17-12-2013 by wulff because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

It funny the harder you are on crime the wosre it gets!

Is this a great observation, or just a failure to deny ignorance ? Think about
how much sense that makes and then ask yourself, if you truly believe it ?
Lets assume for the fun of it you decide you don't.
How would you redact the statement?

Here's one way.

It isn't at all funny to see our so called justice system crack down on petty non violent
crminals. At the same time our leaders are sucking the life out of the economy. And
purposely causing an environment that can only produce more and more criminals.

Steal power tools from what amounts to a coalition of outlaw sheriff John conglamorates.
And get 70 years? You people think this is just fine? Only because you don't see yourseves
there tomorrow. What is funny, is that I do.

edit on 17-12-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

Xaphan

OccamsRazor04
My view, which I assume few will agree with, is turn prison back to actual centers of rehabilitation, and have the death penalty for multiple offenders. Not out of hate, but because they clearly have no place in this world.

The first part I agree with. The second part is borderline psychopathy.

There are two very different viewpoints. It's like leftism mixed with hardcore conservatism

You clearly have no idea what psychopathy is.

1. a mental disorder in which an individual manifests amoral and antisocial behavior, lack of ability to love or establish meaningful personal relationships, extreme egocentricity, failure to learn from experience, etc.

It is due to love that their life on this world must come to an end. It is extreme selfishness to do otherwise.

Ah, a call for euthanasia, it never gets old! What if someone decides that you have no place in this world for whatsoever phony reasons? It is not terribly hard to come up with those and it will happen out of pure love of course.

On topic, 70 years for stealing some tools is ridiculous, but then again so is the judiciary of the US were guilt and sentence is mostly determined by the wealth of the defendant.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Xaphan

OccamsRazor04
My view, which I assume few will agree with, is turn prison back to actual centers of rehabilitation, and have the death penalty for multiple offenders. Not out of hate, but because they clearly have no place in this world.

The first part I agree with. The second part is borderline psychopathy.

There are two very different viewpoints. It's like leftism mixed with hardcore conservatism

this isn't political...I'm left of center, and I agree that she should spend the rest of her life in prison...she has done so much crime over such a long time, it has become a way of life to her...you have to get her away from the public...it's as simple as that

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
that really is a catch 22 situation. That's a long wrap sheet. but what if she was told she could borrow the weed wacker anytime she liked, then the neighbor was seenile and couldn't remember giving her permission?

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I MUST DESTORY MORE LIVES TO PROVE HOW GOOD OF A PERSON I AM AT DOING MY JOB.

Yeahhhhhhh, sure....

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

crazyewok

You really have to wonder just how much the family paid for that wrist-slap. We have the best justice money can buy.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by b14warrior

I have to agree with that nearly 100%. The majority are not doing crimes just because they want to. It is what life has become because there is little chance down another path.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

roadgravel
reply to post by b14warrior

I have to agree with that nearly 100%. The majority are not doing crimes just because they want to. It is what life has become because there is little chance down another path.

And I agree with you as well. What I would like to know is this: If you were to backtrack, and find where you took the path less traveled ... what would you see there at the fork?

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Having read the article and viewed the video tape and looked at the postings the following can be stated:

Yes I agree that 70 years is a harsh sentence. However, there are a few things to be noted, that should also be taken into account. This woman is a life time criminal, the justice system did not punish her harshly enough in the past. She has a long rap sheet going back to when she was 17, and tried to get someone killed. It shows a lack of remorse or of penance on her part to change her ways.

While the items may not seem to be big, yet at the same time, the question is how long has she been doing this in that community, where it was not caught on video? How many items did she take that did not belong to her, and what became of them?

The problem here is that the penitentiary system is no longer a deterrent, to crime, too often the criminal goes in and does not learn the lesson, and thus is going to in most cases reoffend. Combine that with the lack of forgiveness on the part of society to be under the belief that once you get out you have paid for your crimes, and it sets up a viscous cycle of where people who break the law end up reoffending and getting sent back to jail.

And when someone like Sheriff Arpio runs his jail, people complain about it being too harsh. Yet the statistics are that offenders are less likely to return to Sheriff Joe’s jails than say from another county as those incarcerated tend to want to avoid such.

The solution to this may seem cruel but here it is, jails and prisons need to go back to being harsh and places to avoid. They need to be where a person does what it was originally intended to be, a place where the convicted to penance. They need to take out all of the things that make jail nice and make it a hard nasty place that one does not want to be. And at the same time, society needs to be a bit more forgiving for people who were in jail and prison and give them a second chance, no matter the crime. And while many do not agree with it, the three strikes law needs to be rougher, first time a person goes, it is for the min, the next time, half way through and the third time the max sentence.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join