It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is an "old soul"?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I want to thank everyone who has replied and have provided some insight to my question.

My son is kind, empathetic, generous.

Perhaps an old soul just means he has more knowledge of "self" and more insight into others.

This has been a great thread, a wonderful read, and speaks highly of the quality of people here at the site.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Have you had him tested? Like, has the school talked to you about him being gifted?

I have a ten year old who was tested out to be "gifted". He has an IQ of 130. He's ten so he should have an IQ of 100... or this is the typical IQ I should say of a ten year old.

He is not all that empathetic though. lol We are working on that.

I think an old soul is one who has lived many times and is about to graduate from this world. He has learned what he needed and now he is a teacher so to speak.

Also, has he ever been diagnosed with Aspergers or Autism? The reason why I asked is because I have found through research our child prodigies of today are coming from these diagnoses.

Jacob Barnett comes to mind. If you are not familiar with his story... check it out.

Some say he is Einstein reincarnated. He is here to finish where Einstein left off. Jacob began college at ten!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
An old soul is someone that has wisdom beyond their years.
edit on 16-12-2013 by WonderBoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Shiloh7

Now strangely, although 'my little old spirit' is now grown up, its my younger son who has the compassion and side which likes to help. The elder, although there if needed does not seem to have the same - dare I say - generosity of spirit. So I am at a loss as to what exactly an old spirit is. I believe in reincarnation so as we all come and go etc I can't see the connection for some and not others.

For some old souls it takes time to warm up.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

beezzer
I want to thank everyone who has replied and have provided some insight to my question.

My son is kind, empathetic, generous.

Perhaps an old soul just means he has more knowledge of "self" and more insight into others.

This has been a great thread, a wonderful read, and speaks highly of the quality of people here at the site.

Have you noticed it he is more introvert than extrovert? That he has more thought going on under the surface than he is sharing and that his self value is internally measured. The opposite is extrovert where you are very out going and can have your self value measured on other people opinion.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

He's neither introverted nor extroverted.

He's surprisingly confident for a child his age, though.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by LittleByLittle

He's neither introverted nor extroverted.

He's surprisingly confident for a child his age, though.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

In my youth, I was pointed out many times as an old soul. My practical sense allowed me to understand complex math and sciences, well before my developmental age. The main accusation though, was that my emotional reactions where mostly of adult capability. Where I felt a sort of pride for being advanced, I also longed to experience the lifestyles of my peers. That left me with a still life long goal of treasuring my primal, unconscious emotional reactions "inner child". Now that I'm older, my abilities are in comparison, easier to label. No more old soul, which is used mainly for children, that have an intangible edge.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by blindprometheus

So you don't think adults can have old souls?

Honest question.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

WonderBoi
An old soul is someone that has wisdom beyond their years.
edit on 16-12-2013 by WonderBoi because: (no reason given)

I've heard people refer to my papa as an Old FART. Was that complimentary...like Old wine?
cwm

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I do not have the discernment or awareness, to without doubt, validate any notions that are observed but lay in the ethereal. I assume, the inner side of me is still the same, with the exception of experiences granted thru time.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by blindprometheus

I'm 50. An "old fart". But as many would attest to, I've been labeled as having a very young soul, even at my advanced and crippled age.

I certainly was never someone who was labeled as having an old soul in my youth.

As you are older, has anyone ever commented on the age of your "soul"?

Apologies if the questions are too intrusive.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Well, I often am pointed out as intelligent or philosophical or deep. I assume its nearly the same thing as being an "old soul". The fact that I treasure the emotionally illogical side of being human, has earned me the title of "young at heart". My best guess of the main interpretation of an "old soul", is someone who more complex than the situation should allow. A young soul, would be someone who is able to emotionally enjoy something long past a situation should allow. I believe in the existence of souls but words are easier to understand.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Old soul means a knowing and understanding that's beyond most people's abilities regardless of age. It roots from superior awareness in general, but seems focused on high self-awareness.

It's easier to spot in children. A balance between conscientiousness, intellect, and deviation.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Someone who has the ability to learn from others experiences and learning how to apply them in ones own life. Some people take a lifetime to get an old soul while others are gifted with the foresight too see and live through others eyes. It is a special gift that will serve him well in life. Anywho that is my two cents worth.

:cheers :
edit on 17-12-2013 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-12-2013 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Read: Life After Life
1975 Raymond A. Moody

I am 53 and have been called an "old soul" most of my life, even as an adult.

Reincarnation is not denied in the Bible. It is understood as the basis for some of the questions the deciples asked.

"And as he was passing by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, 'Rabbi, who has sinned, this man or his parents, that he should be born blind?" Jesus answered, 'Neither has this man sinned, nor his parents, but the works of God were to be made manifest in him.'" (John 9:1)

"For all the prophets and the law have prophesied until John. And if you are willing to receive it, he is Elijah who was to come." (Matthew 11:13-14)

"And the disciples asked him, saying, 'Why then do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?' But he answered them and said, 'Elijah indeed is to come and will restore all things. But I say to you that Elijah has come already, and they did not know him, but did to him whatever they wished. So also shall the Son of Man suffer at their hand.' Then the disciples understood that he had spoken of John the Baptist." (Matthew 17:10-13)

These are just three of many instances in the Christian Bible.

Newton's law states the law of karma in scientific terms. It states that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Many Reincarnationists believe that we choose the circumstances of our life to aid in the growth of our soul.

Personally I believe the most powerful evidence for Reincarnation is the existence of child prodigies, idiot savants and people born with mental and/or physical handicaps.

I believe we are here to learn certain lessons and will continue to incarnate here until we learn them, rather than having the whole of eternity depend upon the choices of one short life.
In my opinion the concept of reincarnation puts the responsibility on the individual because it reinforces the statement that "Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap."

edit on 17-12-2013 by RedmoonMWC because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Considering that the soul is outside of the dimension of time it makes little sense to designate an age. In my estimation the usage of young and old soul seems to be one based in ego, and for those who feel more enlightened then their peers to either compliment or disparage the subject of their assessment. In terms of how it is applied people regularly use "old soul" as a compliment to suggest someone is innately wise and has considerable depth, often especially for their biological age, whereas generally the opposite for a young or "new" soul.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
One of the signs of an "old soul" is when children show more maturity, even at a very young age, than their parents. The contrast jumps out at you. I remember one little girl who, at three years of age, was more mature and more responsible than her mother. She was also very intelligent.

I could write a much longer post about this because I had the opportunity to observe the dynamics of their relationship over a long period of time, but I'd rather not go into too much detail.

She also showed signs of having been re-incarnated. She had an abnormal reaction to sudden loud noises. She wasn't just startled by them but would have almost a full body spasm, as if reacting to an explosion of some kind, out of all proportion to the size of the sound being heard. I think she may have died violently in a previous life. She outgrew that phenomenon but when she was a very young child, under two, it was very noticeable, at least to me.

She was adorable and grew up, had kids and is now doing very well in an excellent job.
edit on 18-12-2013 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I like to think that we can move up and out of here.
In an infinite universe they have to have better places than this. So,to me an old soul is a slow learner.

Thank you thank you,I am here all week.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Hehe. I don't think those Catholics quite knew what they were saying when they called him an old soul. But, yea...reincarnation. We don't get to remember, but my thought is that those who have been around the block a few times tend to come back with better and better focus for their current life.

Also, even though I have a pretty rampant, spiritual hunger, I suspect I may be a younger soul.
edit on 18-12-2013 by awakendhybrid because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2    4 >>

join