It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is an "old soul"?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I have two sons. The eldest, a troubled youth but is doing well now and I love and am very proud of him.

My youngest, though, is why I'm asking. He's ten. An awesome ten. He's entering the sixth grade (according to his test results and his home schooling) and is awesome!

He takes time with our elderly neighbors. He sits with them and listens to what they have to say. He has so many "grand-parents" they have to stand in line. He's articulate. Speaks German, Spanish and is learning Latin.

(this is not to brag on a child that is far smarter than me, but to add content to what my query is)

It is often remarked that he has an "old soul".

Everyone says it.

Now I've googled "old soul".
Reincarnation.
Wisdom.
yadda-yadda.

I come to you and ask, what is an old soul?

I've heard that comment all my life but have never discerned what it meant.

For the record, I've been told that I have a very "young soul", whatever THAT means.

So I bow to the collective great minds of ATS to help me learn something.

Thank you for your time.

Love and hugs,

beez

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

An old soul is one that has been incarnating since very ancient times. It could be one that has incarnated many, or just a handful of times, but is nevertheless, ancient. One sign of an old soul is wisdom far beyond ones age. And yes, he does seem to have some signs of possibly being an old soul. Congrats.

edit on 12/15/2013 by Klassified because: Clarity, eta, corrections

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

He's 10.

Now I may not be the sharpest bowling ball in the drawer, but. . .

I've played chess for quite some time. Once, I stale-mated a Ranked Master.

My little boy has BEATEN me in chess.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It sounds like you may have a prodigy on your hands, Beez. He just needs room to breathe, grow, and express himself, and it sounds like you're already giving him that. Insert *thumbs up* here.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I don't mean for this to be a brag on my boy. He's awesome in his own right.

But the "old soul" business is what has me curious. Even good Catholics say he has an old soul.

Reincarnation???

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
That is fascinating to me. Yes I've heard this term before, it makes me think of
reincarnation and everything that comes with that. I've done some reading on that.

Regardless of what level anyone is on we are all very important pieces of the puzzle.

So if your son is an "old soul" what does that make you ? Are you a protector
of this old soul ? Or did he choose you ?

Interesting Stuff !
leolady

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Tupac was said to have "a young heart and an old soul". Having an old soul means to have lived through much in your life span, compared to others of the same age.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

beezzer

I don't mean for this to be a brag on my boy. He's awesome in his own right.

But the "old soul" business is what has me curious. Even good Catholics say he has an old soul.

Reincarnation???

You're a parent, and you're proud. By all means, brag a little.

I don't know how I feel about reincarnation. I have my problems with the concept. Nevertheless, that is where the saying comes from. Although the poster above me is correct, that some people use it to describe maturity beyond ones years.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

leolady

That is fascinating to me. Yes I've heard this term before, it makes me think of
reincarnation and everything that comes with that. I've done some reading on that.

Regardless of what level anyone is on we are all very important pieces of the puzzle.

So if your son is an "old soul" what does that make you ? Are you a protector
of this old soul ? Or did he choose you ?

Interesting Stuff !
leolady

With my son, it'd be an honor just to be his guardian.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by GokuVsSuperman0

My little guy has lived. We try to provide him experiences that he'll remember.

We sing at our home.

We dance.

We take ordinary trips to the grocery store and make them "opera shopping" where we have to sing whatever we say or want.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

We just want to encourage and let him grow.

We tender morality, ethics, love and respect.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Heya Beez.. I can only share with you what my interpretation of that is through my own Faith. Old Soul as I've known and used the term refers to someone with past lives and who is or seems aware and to have carried a sense of that with them. The knowledge from personal past experience beyond what their age can explain or other things that make that apparent.

Usually, in my experience, it's a subtle thing and not readily apparent outside people who are looking for it on first meeting anyone. I did meet one little girl though who was self aware at 10, and had a presence about her that was far closer to wise old woman than a child. She had the serious bearing and intensity to match...

Anyway.. just throwing my two carrots in for a term I'm very familiar with, tho it may not mean the same in our usage?

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I think an old soul refers to being more aware of your own conscious. That might be good or bad. I know old souls who indulge in defeatism. And I know old souls who show immense personal progression on an intellectual and emotional basis. Your son is the latter.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Oh my, what a question. Well, let's see. . .I recognize an old soul when I look into their eyes, and see a world of familiarity and solidarity.

An old soul is one with the vision to see the end result without having lived a time. An old soul is one without the need for explanation, yet is sometimes seen as "new".\

Old souls are relatives of that sacred and secret place we remember as being the point of Origin. Old souls can call the oldest stars of the Universe a personal friend.

Old souls sometimes stand to embrace another when love has allowed the two to exist with one another.

An old soul is someone who's first memories are its last, for the end is always just a second after the beginning, and vice versa.

An old soul is what breathed life into the lost of us, yes, the lost.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

My son sits with our elderly neighbors and will listen for hours on end their stories, their lives. He'll hold a hand.

Then he'll do something like wipe a booger on the wall of our apartment, fart and giggle for an hour.

10 year-old-boy stuff.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Staafke
I think an old soul refers to being more aware of your own conscious. That might be good or bad. I know old souls who indulge in defeatism. And I know old souls who show immense personal progression on an intellectual and emotional basis. Your son is the latter.

He's very self aware.

He's a loner but comfortable in a crowd.

He's a bit of an enigma.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Divine Strake

I wish you could meet him.

He's a character. A great little boy.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
You come to me and ask, what is an old soul?

Reincarnation.
Wisdom.
Yadda-yadda.

Children Who Remember Previous Lives: A Question of Reincarnation

edit on 15-12-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Well, I fully believe it to be possible to spiritually connect and meet.
2nd.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
This is fascinating, and no one can blame you for bragging he sounds amazing.

Ive been called an old soul a few times in when I was in Japan. Not from being super intelligent either. From the context and discussion they were referring to reincarnation.

It meant someone who has been coming to this earth a long time and has very nearly gotten everything they could from the experience. To me an old soul is someone almost prepared for the next step with no needto be reincanated on earth very soon.

What the next step would be who knows.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join