It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reinstalling Firefox fresh.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I have some weird malware that I cannot get rid of that only affects Firefox. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, deleted etc and its still there. How do I totally get rid of Firefox so I can install it fresh? Thanks
Firepiston

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Use Chrome instead?

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

signalfire
Use Chrome instead?

I need firefox for some games and other things. Other browsers are not supported. I never had good luck with chrome anyway.
Firepiston

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Try getting CCleaner from Piriform. It's a tiny program that can clean your browser cookies, etc and your registry better than most. It also has an option to use it instead of your OS's remove programs utility.

Down load it here: www.piriform.com... Allow it to update, uninstall FF, run the first option for browser cookies, etc. Then run the registry cleaner thing 2 or 3 times (it takes a couple times to catch all the useless keys left from old/bad programs). Then reboot your machine.

You should be able to cleanly install your FF again. You might want to check out a browser called Maxthon which is a 'cloud' browser and has an option to run with FF protocals (or chrome, ie, safari, as you like). www.maxthon.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I wouldn't want to use Google's spy browser either, OP. Once you uninstall Firefox, then as long as you also click "uninstall personal files", then it's completely uninstalled.

You can go to "C:\Users\'username'\AppData\Roaming" and delete the Mozilla folder to ensure that Firefox is completely gone. But if you're reinstalling and still having the same problem, it's not with Firefox but something else on your machine.

Download "Malwarebytes" and scan your machine:

www.malwarebytes.org...

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

On top of what Bonez said, I would also run Junkware Removal Tool. It's good at cleaning out garbageware from your system, and from your browsers.
Download to desktop>Right-click>Run as administrator> Done. It may take several minutes depending on how much junk is on your system. (It IS a safe program to use. No adware, etc.)

edit on 12/15/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies I will try those.
Firepiston

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Uninstalling Firefox won't get rid of the malware. CCcleaner won't help you removing malware. The last post above me is the best suggestion as a malware removal tool.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by FirePiston

Try to use Spybot search & destroy. Had a similiar thing once...

top topics

join