It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Noah's Ark round?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
No it wasn't,because to echo the sentiments of a few posts ago,the story of Noah and his ark is just a plagiarising of the epic of Gilgamesh amongst others and never actually happened.
Coracles and other similar flat bottomed boats are primarily designed for flat but fast moving water such as rivers.The flat bottom design means they displace very little water,so can operate safely in just a few inches depth of water.
How ever they are too unstable to be used in choppy water or any real swell.Even back then boat builders knew that a boat needed a pointed bow to be able to ride a wave and not capsize or be tipped over by pointing it up the wave.A round boat doesn't have a pointed end (really!!!!) so would be very vulnerable to being tipped over in rough and choppy waters.Yes I know it's about 100 times bigger than the ones the Welsh guys use and then carry home on their backs,but I believe that any boat builder all those years ago would still go for the most stable design possible knowing how bad the coming storm was going to be.

To answer the other points.The claimed Jap finding of the claimed ark was never confirmed as far as I'm aware as they never revealed it's location,so as far as I'm concerned it can go in the hoax bin.
There are two other claimed resting places for the claimed ark that never was.One is about 14,000 feet up mount Ararat,and the other one is about 6,000 feet up a minor mountain a short distance to the south of this,the latter is the one where they've built a visitor centre and any one can go and see it.But.......there has never been enough water in the world to put any sort of boat anywhere near 6,0000 feet above mean sea level.Even if all the ice in the world melted,the sea level would only rise by about 200 feet,and as this is about 200 miles from the nearest sea and the coastline hasn't changed significantly in the last 5000 years or so. So if there is the remains of a boat 6000 feet up a mountain,someone has built it there or it isn't a boat and some just some freak geological formation.

The seashells at the summit of mount Everest are easily explained.You know I hope that those mountains in particular are made from sedimentary rock,this means that 100s of millions of years ago they were underwater.Sedimentary rock is nothing more than countless layers of dead sea creatures compressed into solid rock by the weight of countless more layers on top of them.When the continents were still floating about and randomly bumping into each other,two separate plates hit each other and pushed up the mountains we see today.The easily found sea shells are the last layer to be deposited while they were still part of the sea bed.

Anyway,I can feel a holiday in Turkey next year to the site of the claimed ark the public can visit.Even though I know it isn't,it'll be a bit of fun to visit what I've only seen in countless photos of the past few years.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Char-Lee
reply to post by schuyler

How do I know? Well, first of all, there's not enough water to cover the earth.

If the ocean bottom were not as deep and/or the mountain ranges were not yet so large there is plenty of water.

If the ocean bottom was "not as deep" then there would be LESS water. There's no evidence of either one.

Mt. Everest and the Himalayan range, along with the Alps, the Rockies, the Appalachians, the Andes, and most of the world's other mountains are composed of ocean-bottom sediments, full of marine fossils laid down by the Flood. Mt. Everest itself has clam fossils at its summit. These rock layers cover an extensive area, including much of Asia. They give every indication of resulting from cataclysmic water processes. These are the kinds of deposits we would expect to result from the worldwide, world-destroying Flood of Noah's day.

Not exactly. Mountain ranges have been thrust upwards because of subduction with the movement of continents via plate tectonics. Some mountain ranges, such as the Appalachians, are very old and have been the subject of erosion., so they are smooth, rounded, and with a tree line clear to the top. Some, such as the Cascade Range, are fairly new and have not suffered much erosion. You would expect to see fossils and such in mountains' geologic traits because that rock was not always part of a mountain. You can drive along nearly any mountain pass highway and see layers of rock thrust up at odd angles, layers that show a sedimentary origin when the rock was flat, under water, and the subject of layered deposits. None of that proves a flood. All it proves is that the earth is a very active place.

To some people, every time the earth grumbles, God did it. Lightning bolts are thrown by Zeus. I believe in being tolerant of other people's religions. Let them believe what they want, but the rest of us aren't compelled to share belief in their crap nor make decisions guided by their beliefs.
edit on 12/15/2013 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

To some people, every time the earth grumbles, God did it. Lightning bolts are thrown by Zeus. I believe in being tolerant of other people's religions. Let them believe what they want, but the rest of us aren't compelled to share belief in their crap nor make decisions guided by their beliefs.

I don't think anyone asked you too. You are clearly interested in "The Ark" story though.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Right yeah, thread seems to be going that old way..

Bye.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Imagewerx
No it wasn't,because to echo the sentiments of a few posts ago,the story of Noah and his ark is just a plagiarising of the epic of Gilgamesh

Didn't bother reading or researching the source the OP posted?

The tablets are regarding the story of Gilgamesh....

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Actually no I didn't,it was from memory so apologies if I misread or misquoted.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Char-Lee

I don't think anyone asked you too. You are clearly interested in "The Ark" story though.

I absolutely am! And I do believe it is evidence of a "flood," just not one claimed in the bible. As mythology it is great and a well-developed story. It also dovetails nicely with other flood tales around the globe--not just Gilgamesh, but tails from Native American tribes and those in Japan, China, and India.

Something DID happen in the distant past and has been commemorated and changed to fit the local mythology. The interesting thing is that it has gone through phases.

1. It happened just exactly the way the Bible tells it sometime after 4004 BC.
2. It didn't happen at all. The whole thing is ridiculous.
3. You know, there's something to it. We have some real evidence

We're at number three now and I think if we pay attention and follow the clues we have a tremendous amount to learn about our past. The thing is, it doesn't contradict any scientific knowledge at all, including the evolution of our own species. In the larger scheme of things, it's really a contemporary event, and ironically, the Biblical story is partial proof of it.
edit on 12/15/2013 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by HumAnnunaki

I believe this theory over global warming

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

PLAYERONE01
reply to post by HumAnnunaki

I believe this theory over global warming

Ha Ha! That WAS global warming!

To expand on the biblical story a little more, it really is a good story. Some of the flood stories amount to, "There was a flood. Lots of people drowned. It was really bad. The end." But the Bible story is much more involved, and I believe it attempted to take care of the facts as understood at the time. This was a Middle Eastern story set down by a desert tribe, after all. They didn't originate the story; they were told the story. It was already in the mythology, but, like all oral tradition, it changed on the telling to fit local circumstances. They embellished it and made it better.

These guys had really no idea how large the Earth was, nor how many millions of species there are in the world. So they looked around and took note of the species they DID know about, from camels to goats, insects, birds, crocodiles, probably lions. They might have had some idea of Africa's animals, but they had no clue about pandas, mammoths, cougars, polar bears and grizzlies. They just weren't there. The universe of animals was smaller, finite.

So they added up what they knew and determined they could fit on an ark, at least if God calmed them down so the predators didn't eat the prey for a few days. It was doable, possible. It did not strain credibility. The ancients weren't stupid. If you tried to BS them with some story that all the species would fit in a rowboat, they'd know it was impossible. But a huge ark? That worked. It was possible not only to build one, which was within their capabilities, but to place all the animals they knew about inside. That explained how all the species surrounding the desert dwellers survived. In a sense, it was "scientific" in the sense that they attempted to account for the known world. Given what they believed about the world, it was a plausible story.

And it's full of symbolism. For example, it "rained for 40 days and 40 nights." That's hardly a record. I live near Seattle. That's normal. But the number "40" means, in symbolism, a "really long time." It doesn't mean 40 literal days. The ancients listening to the story around the campfire would have known that. We Westerners, steeped in pedantic exactitude, have lost the context of the story. Of course, Christian theology, insisting on every English word in the Bible being the literal Word of God, hasn't helped explain the ancient stories much, either.

So, the biblical story of Noah's Ark is a great story. It has a "truth" to tell, but if you take it literally, you've missed what it is really trying to tell you.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Back to the beginning is on CNN right now talking about the flood. Right now it's showing research about ancient shore lines in the Black Sea that is evidence for a "flood".

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I've always wondered if the Ark story was more than it was...

Maybe Atlantis was in Fact Mars....
Maybe the Pillars of Hercules were the 2 moons around Mars, or the 2 moons around Earth (yes, we have 2 moons).
Animals 2 by 2 - Maybe the genetic structure of those animals were stored and rebuilt on Earth.
Death by technology....
Not seeing land for some time = trip through space from mars to Earth.

Civilization / Cities seemingly spring up out of nowhere on Earth....
Issues with Human history /Human origins...

Noah's Ark round? Sure why not...

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Yes, and you could also imagine the ark came fully loaded with plant and animal DNA from another location in the universe, destination, earth.

I find it interesting that even today we still are influenced by the Bible,
www.globalresearch.ca...

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
The whole problem with a world wide flood is one of volume. Years ago, a friend and I did the calculations, taking a point about 5 meters above the tallest mountains in the world, and figuring out the corresponding volume of water needed to fill up to that point.

There's simply not enough water on the planet.

However, we did conclude that an extraterrestrial ice ball about 2000 kilometres in circumference would contain enough water to do the job. The impact, though, would have left some trace in the geological record, which we were never able to locate.

Fascinating still, is that it took 100 years to build, regardless of the shape. Then again, the OP is referring to the Gilgamesh version.....

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
The way it works is that if you're going to buy the Noah story as presented in the Bible, then you're going to have to buy the whole thing and not pick and choose which details you want to believe and which ones you aren't.

So, no. Noah's Ark was not round. It was exactly the size and shape described in the Bible.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

While I understand what you are saying in order for the flood story to make any sense a person must view the world at the time of the flood and not what we think today.

Devils advocate -

Back then the population on this planet was less than it is now. Since we are getting stories about a global flood on just about every continent does not mean all continents / land mass were submerged. We must also take into account the possibility for embellishment by those reporting the flood. Since the generally accepted position about contact with other continents in those days, we have to assume that the stories shared were possibility days, weeks, years, hundreds of years old.

That's one long game of telephone...

How many days was the Ark at sea?
How many days did it take to reach the American continents using a sailing vessel?

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
This pretty much sums it up...I have to agree with Rogan on this one...why is anyone even considering that an ark that housed 2 of each creature ever existed? Such a tired subject that people need to put to bed and never wake up!

Pwnage starts at 3:10

edit on 17-12-2013 by sprint34 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
The biblical literalism and dogmas obscure that these myths very likely describe a "real" event, perhaps a massive flooding caused by some natural cataclysm. Maybe 'just' the meting of the glaciers at the end of the last glaciation.

Perhaps an ancient(s) watched the sky and saw an approaching rock(s) and did some quick calculus (heck Newton might not have been the first, right?) and figured it would hit the ocean (and/or Canadian area glaciers) throwing tsunamis and storms across the land, displacing a huge amount of water, life boats were built, useful animals gathered and doped up, and the story handed down to be obscured by history's game of "telephone."

I dunno, wasn't there as far as I know... but the pervasive myths are indicative of something big and wet happening a long time ago... though fairly recently geologically speaking. And the shells found on dry land are more indicative of continental drift and buckling due to the fossils' great age, but heck, who knows and a few miles from where I sit in the mountains in a desert are sea shell fossils that cover a whole hillside. But they are older than a few thousand years. More like several hundred million.

Oh, and the Mars to Earth ark whimsy is quite creative! Heh, and truly, it's at least possible.. just not at all probable with what we've found so far!

This ol' planet is a tad more exciting than we once thought, or rather, hoped. So many ways for us to be doomed... so much time to be doomed in!

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I have a question about Noah and his story....

What about all the other people that had boats? Did their boats just not work?

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
I have a question about Noah and his story....

What about all the other people that had boats? Did their boats just not work?

I thought about that too.
In the bible it says that God instructed him how to build it and God actually shut the door of the ark before the flood. So there was some divine intervention there. Other werent given the divine assistance in this boat and other boats wouldnt have survived the cataclysm. God wasnt talking to other people and mentioned "perfection in your generations".Some believe that Noah and his family hadnt been tainted genetically by the Nephilim blood.

Regardless of your religious affiliations.. both the stories of Gilgamesh and Noah ( and the other 25 or so flood stories in different religions) are pretty darned interesting!

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I just don't understand how we aren't all hopelessly inbred beyond belief. Just the other day there was news story about this inbred family in the Australian outback. The children had all kinds of mental problems and deformities from the generations of inbreeding.

The same can be said for all the animals. Just TWO of each? That's not nearly enough genetic diversity for a population to bounce back from.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join