It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Noah's Ark round?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Was Noah's Ark round?

Scholar says 3,700-year-old clay tablet reveals boat was a coracle made out of reeds and bitumen

He says: 'Wall, wall! Reed wall, reed wall! Atram-Hasis, pay heed to my advice, that you may live forever! Destroy your house, build a boat; despise possessions And save life! Draw out the boat that you will built with a circular design; Let its length and breadth be the same.'
Dr Irving Finkel, Assistant Keeper of the Department of the Middle East at the British Museum, translated the cuneiform script on the tablet

Dr Irving Finkel, Assistant Keeper of the Department of the Middle East at the British Museum, translated the cuneiform script on the tablet

The ancient Babylonian text describes the ark as a round 220-ft diameter coracle with walls 20-ft high.

According to the tablet, the ark had two levels and a roof on the top. The craft was divided into sections to divide the various animals into their own sections.

The 60 lines of text, which Dr Finkel describes as a 'detailed construction manual for building an ark', claims the craft was built using ropes and reeds before being smeared with bitumen to make it waterproof.

There are dozens of ancient tablets that have been found which describe the flood story but Finkel, Assistant Keeper of Ancient Mesopotamian script, languages and cultures Department at the British Museum, says this one is the first to describe the vessel's shape.

I still believe there is truth to myth and legend, and someday, hopefully, more will be brought to light.

The Flood: Mesopotamian Archaeological Evidence

ncse.com...

www.theguardian.com...

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 113131p://bSunday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Well, according to several threads posted a few years back this video was presented as possible proof of the Ark being found by some Chinese. I'd suggest turning the volume down unless you like that sort of music.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
This would be an interesting explanation for how it could have survived total chaos for waves and currents, as one might imagine it would be while coastlines and land vs water was all in flux for position.

This would be how a rogue wave ..or just par for the course, by imagining what this was supposed to have been needed for...wouldn't have just capsized the lot of them like a toy in a bathtub.

It's actually brilliant to think of that way. No matter how bad flooding and the forces related to it got, he'd have been in the best design for stability and survival. Of course..GOING anywhere by deliberate choice was a little wishful thinking, it seems ...but then, at the time? Would they have cared about getting anywhere but dry and alive?

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

SLAYER69

Well, according to several threads posted a few years back this video was presented as possible proof of the Ark being found by some Chinese. I'd suggest turning the volume down unless you like that sort of music.

TY I will check that out

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
A polygon of some sort (hexagon, octagon, or 12-sided) would be easier to build than round. But I'd guess rectangle as the most likely shape. Without looking it up, that's the impression I got from the dimensions in the Bible. I think it would take waves fine if it sat low in the water, which is how I picture it.

As far as what the Chinese found, I'd want to see evidence that it floated rather than just being a structure built there on the mountain. There is another candidate there on the surface of the mountain also, and that one has more of a boat-like shape. The location being in Turkey has hampered research/discovery significantly.
edit on 15-12-2013 by toidiem because: can't type

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
If I may inject a twist to the Noah's Ark theory -

The Ark was indeed round

Many years ago in ancient history, there existed a 'prior man'
with an advanced technology likened to that of the fabled Atlantis.

Their technology could not save them from what they had learned
through their applications of math and astronomy.
(huge tsunamis, earthquakes, volcanism, asteroid impact, polar tilt, ice age)
We ALL spoke the same language at the Tower of Babel, as our knowledge was
that of a God - cataclysm was enveloped and the species was scattered leaving
the surviving populace to perish from disease and other consequences.

Knowing this, and as an arrogant society such as we are today,
they would not let there lineage fall to a foot note of cosmic dust.

As our scientist would do today if faced with total annilation,
their's was a plan to gather two of everything knowing our planet would
eventually self generate, and re-grow our species after the cataclysm
thereby leaving ancient monuments encoded in math to explain
our mysterious past and illustrious speed in intelligence.
(explaining why we have done this in supposedly only six thousand years)

All planet species was gathered and then cryo-genetically frozen and
stored in the round Ark to be sent away from the planets destruction and
brought back at a later date to replenish the earth through test tube and
eventually invitro method once a suitable creature was created.
(explaining the EVE/ADAM recreation)

As their species was as ours and do to jubjectual bombardment of
solar radiation, are unable to sustain extended periods of inter
galactic space travel, developed a robotic custodial servant to
succeed such a monumental endeavor.

This 'servant' was created to endure and recreate it's masters, teaching
as they went.
We today would see the servant as a synthetic robot built with a exo carbon fibre frame
hyrdaulically activated humanoid commanded by internal nano-bot computer chips
with timers and fibre optics draped in a grey synthetic heat absorbing
(transferred to an energy perpetual motion machine) latex skin.
Humanoid slightly in appearance and yet not frightening, not quite four foot tall
with large dark eyes for solar power operated internal batteries.

This was OUR heritage, left by our ancestors, to resume a class one civilization
in a relatively short expanse of time.

They are 'ours', bequeathed to from our distant ancestors, so indeed -
the NOAA ARCC theory is correct, but with a modern version view.

Nation Of One Analogical Astrological Atonement Recovery Cohabitation Crisis

So yes indeed the Arcc was round with two decks and a top level.

Just my personal theory.

All apologies if I derailed the thread or insulted someone's religious view.

..and now back to regular viewing..
edit on 15-12-2013 by HumAnnunaki because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Was Noah's Ark round?

No, but Gilgamesh's was.

The Epic of Gilgamesh is a parallel, Babylonian account of a global flood and an effort to save and to survive.

Been around for quite a while.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I absolutely love how the example picture shows a Giraffe and Bear on the same vessel, considering the two have never been closer than 2000 miles from one another

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

After watching that video and reading the OP, I am really strating to wonder about all these similar cultural stories.

Are the similar stories just that one story passed down, or does history repeat itself and there was more than one flood?

The flood is jsut one of many common stories.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by HumAnnunaki

Omg thhat is awesome

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Stormdancer777

Was Noah's Ark round?

One multi-specie family floating between the lands...

edit on 15-12-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This is kind of like arguing how many angels are on the head of a pin. You are trying to prove the details of an object that never existed. How do I know? Well, first of all, there's not enough water to cover the earth. But that doesn't mean there wasn't a flood.

The most likely explanation (and one supported by the scientific facts as we know them) is that there was a significant rise in sea level about 12-14,000 years ago at the end of the last Ice Age when glacial waters melted back into the oceans. We're talking about 60 feet or so, which is quite enough to flood coastal cities and put a big dent in whatever civilizations were then extant. This explains the universal flood myth. God and Noah are not required; that's just a local variation out of the middle East.

Archaeological evidence is available to you if you want that. There are extensive structures beneath the sea-- just off the coast of India and Japan. Roll the sea back 60 feet and they would be exposed for your archaeological pleasure.

Scientific evidence is available to you if you want that. Not only are there extensive studies of what happened at the end of the last Ice Age, including studies of the volume of water sucked up into the ice packs and released again, there is also accepted evidence of disasters like that of Lake Missoula in Canada, where an ice dam held back the flood waters until it melted. When it did melt the resulting water flowed down the Columbia River Valley, stripping away all the topsoil and leaving behind a barren landscape that is Eastern Washington State today.

Now extrapolate that to Hudson Bay and you've got your flood. No God, no Noah, no Ark required. The idea that there was a flood commemorated in myth and legend is true. The idea that Noah constructed an ark and put all species in it is utter fantasy. It makes a nice story, but it's about as true as Santa Claus.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Ramcheck
I absolutely love how the example picture shows a Giraffe and Bear on the same vessel, considering the two have never been closer than 2000 miles from one another

If you believe that an order came from someone knowing the future and the disaster was coming at a known point in time, why can't you than accept that animals from across the earth could have been brought to the ark?

I feel there would have been many arks, surely that makes more sense.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

How do I know? Well, first of all, there's not enough water to cover the earth.

If the ocean bottom were not as deep and/or the mountain ranges were not yet so large there is plenty of water.

Mt. Everest and the Himalayan range, along with the Alps, the Rockies, the Appalachians, the Andes, and most of the world's other mountains are composed of ocean-bottom sediments, full of marine fossils laid down by the Flood. Mt. Everest itself has clam fossils at its summit. These rock layers cover an extensive area, including much of Asia. They give every indication of resulting from cataclysmic water processes. These are the kinds of deposits we would expect to result from the worldwide, world-destroying Flood of Noah's day.

www.icr.org...

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Char-Lee

Ramcheck

If you believe that an order came from someone knowing the future and the disaster was coming at a known point in time, why can't you than accept that animals from across the earth could have been brought to the ark?

Sorry, what?

I think you misunderstood my post. What I 'suggested' was that Giraffes and Bears could not possibly be on the same vessel. It's true, and yet it's also just a bit of humour.

I did not post or imply my views or beliefs whatsoever regarding the aforementioned chapter of the implied medieval text. Chill.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Ramcheck

Char-Lee

Ramcheck

Sorry, what?

I think you misunderstood my post. What I 'suggested' was that Giraffes and Bears could not possibly be on the same vessel. It's true, and yet it's also just a bit of humour.

I did not post or imply my views or beliefs whatsoever regarding the aforementioned chapter of the implied medieval text. Chill.

Chill

was a question I wasn't angry. Yes i did misunderstand your post.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Char-Lee

Ramcheck

Char-Lee

Ramcheck

Sorry, what?

Chill

was a question I wasn't angry. Yes i did misunderstand your post.

Cool. Let's get it on..

Merry Xmas Everyone x

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The problem with round boats is that they tend to be bloody horrible when it comes to steering them. The Russians built some round warships once. The experiment was not repeated.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Very well said. Plus the Noah's Ark myth is a bit silent when it comes to explaining why the kangaroos are only found in Australia.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

AngryCymraeg

Very well said. Plus the Noah's Ark myth is a bit silent when it comes to explaining why the kangaroos are only found in Australia.

Well it's ridiculous to even bring Antipodean species into a story about European / Middle Eastern animal rescue boats. To be honest.

If it was anything like this then God help them, I barely survived this myself.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join