It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very rare meteorite more than 100 years unnoticed in collection

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
A rare meteorite that shortly after the birth of the solar system was formed, was more than a century unnoticed seated in a Dutch private collection. The meteorite has an estimated age of about 4.6 billion years and this cosmic fragment was rediscovered by a Dutch amateur astronomer when he examined the collection last year.

On October 27, 1873, the meteorite fell in the village Diepenveen where two witnesses dug up the still warm rock and gave it to a local schoolmaster. Until 2009 the meteorite was part of the school collection. This meteorite is a very rare, rigid carbon-rich type known as a CM carbonaceous chondrite, the same kind in 2012 in central California came down which eventually led to a hunt for the meteorite.

Source : www.cynosura.nl... (dutch)
www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by drneville

Cool. F&S ...Anyway you can post a translation and link?

Thanks, sofi

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Thanks for the thead, I really like it when overlooked objects or data pops into someone's environment and is then shared with the world and the particular field of endeavor. This meteorite actually does look old (I know, but it looks like it could be a grandpa meteorite). I wonder if this is one of the oldest ones found? Likely.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Many thanks for sharing this item. I enjoy reading about things like this because they always make me wonder what else is "hiding in plain sight" that might also be fascinating or even of major interest to the scientific community.

join