It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kilauea Volcano threatens entire Pacific Rim with possible Mega Tsunami 100 ft high at L. A. ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Kilauea, we lava you baby! So don't be upset.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Explain to me how that works exactly.

You can know as soon as it happened and still be screwed, much like a nuclear war. In a major urban area, unless you live right on top of a high ground area, there would be insta-gridlock and no way to get anywhere. Evacuation would be impossible. At best, you'd have people ducked and covered, at worst they'd all be caught out in the open.

The only real way to survive something like that in those areas would be if someone designed some kind of self-contained and anchored capsule that could survive the pull of a wave and be air- and water-tight with enough supply to get a family through a wave. Then, they'd have to figure out how to make sure enough were accessible.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

CranialSponge
Moral of the story:

Don't live near coastlines.
Don't live near faultlines.
Don't live on an island surrounded by faultlines and coastlines.

Response by crazyewok:

Just dont live on the north American continent.

Not too familiar with the geology and topography of the central and northern regions (not to mention the land mass and size of these areas) of North America, are ya ?

I'd be more worried about living on an island in the North Atlantic ocean... surrounded by nothing but seawater and limited natural resources on a small chunk of land populated by tens of millions of people.

*cough*
edit on 15-12-2013 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

ketsuko

You can know as soon as it happened and still be screwed, much like a nuclear war. In a major urban area, unless you live right on top of a high ground area, there would be insta-gridlock and no way to get anywhere. Evacuation would be impossible. At best, you'd have people ducked and covered, at worst they'd all be caught out in the open.

The only real way to survive something like that in those areas would be if someone designed some kind of self-contained and anchored capsule that could survive the pull of a wave and be air- and water-tight with enough supply to get a family through a wave. Then, they'd have to figure out how to make sure enough were accessible.

Well you just awnserd your question of how it would work lol

If the usa hadnt been wasting its time and money bombing the ME into a even bigger hate filled landmass then maybe it could have looked into ideas like you suggested.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

That's what the private sector is for. Someone designed something very like this for people who live in Oklahoma where the soil doesn't support basements, your usual shelter of choice in a tornado. Of course, it doesn't have to be airtight, just subterranean. But for about $5,000 they can get one sunk underneath your average slab house.

The thing is - there has to be a market for 'em, and short of doomsday preppers who will try to cover their butts against everything, there wouldn't be a market for the tsunami version. Why pay for something that you might never, ever need? I mean, these things only happen once in 100,000 years. Yeah, dumb if you happen to win the lottery, but how often does that happen?

And, in California they hyper regulate everything so badly, they you might not even be able to install one of these for environmental reasons. I mean, you can't even cut brush away from your home for fire control reasons, so why would you think you could install a metal airtight capsule underneath your home for something that probably will never happen?

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
On the map, it looks like this slump is only a few miles wide. How can a feature that small trigger a 100 foot tidal wave in California? Most predictions of doom turn out to be overblown after the event has happened, as is analyzed, aren't they? It seems to be the UN-predicted natural catastrophes that cause the most destruction.
cwm

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

I know that if yellowstone blows your all dead.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by research100

Interesting.

Perhaps a youtube search would turn it up.

Sobering stuff.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

That little bump is at least several thousand feet. From the base to the peak Mauna kea is over 30k feet tall(her sister is a little shorter), but we only see 13k above sea level. This area of the ocean is very deep, my guess is at least 15k feet deep around the southpoint area, so it's a very large mass of land/lava.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by snypwsd

go ahead and move to the middle. move to missouri, in fact. and there, you will get to enjoy the new madrid fault! in december of 1810 to feb, 1811, that fault let loose with three quakes in he 8.2. richter range. she is over due as well!

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

crazyewok
reply to post by CranialSponge

I know that if yellowstone blows your all dead.

Depends on the current position of the jetstream flow when it happens.

More times than not, the jet stream flows far south of me (due to the push from north polar winds) and curves up at the Canadian maritimes and straight up to you.

But eventually, we'd all be toast from the obliteration of the sun due to the ash cover in the upper atmosphere.

So it all comes down to who gets to live a little longer based on who is surrounded by more natural resources to utilize and stock up on before it all dies off.

Just sayin'

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
You do know that to reach 100ft above sea level you are talking about maybe....300 to 100 yards in.
"Meh!" so PCH will be closed until try can cut it again.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

crazyewok
... more damage at any moment than a 1000 9/11's all at once...

9/11 times 100

Sorry. I couldn't resist. (I couldn't find the "9/11 times 1000" clip.)

On the map, it looks like this slump is only a few miles wide. How can a feature that small trigger a 100 foot tidal wave in California?
cwm

A rock a few miles wide and a few thousand feet tall is going to have a heck of a lot of mass behind it. That inertia will generate an incredibly devastating tsunami. The Tohuku tsunami in 2011 was caused by less than ten meters (about 33 feet) of movement in the rocks.

Also, the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami was 100 feet tall in some places it made landfall. I was unable to find accurate information on how much the seabed moved there, but I believe it was in the range of ten plus/minus a few meters as well. Many of those areas were densely populated, without higher ground to get to, and without any form of tsunami warning systems.

The way tsunamis flow is very fast, without much of a surface wave in deep waters. As they approach the shore they slow down, but the energy is transferred into height. That is why the waves are several stories high in some places. Also, I believe the position of this rock more-or-less lines up with the southern coast of California.
edit on 12/15/2013 by cmdrkeenkid because: Video is not embedding correctly. Just linked to it.

edit on 12/15/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 15/12/2013 by Sauron because: vix video link

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

When the Gilbert Inlet suffered an earthquake in 1958, a 30 million cubic meter area of rock slipped into the Lituya Bay. The resulting tsunami was 1720 feet tall. The Hilina Slump is 5,000 cubic MILES of land.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SmikeS

I see! This theory makes more sense to me now. Thank-you!
-cwm

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
All my life since child hood I have had dreams of seeing giant waves. Almost always I am inside looking out a window at the ocean and suddenly the waves just come in very very high. Once I was not indoors I was walking up to a tunnel that went under the dunes and came out on the beach and the waves were big enough to go over the dunes. I just had one a few days ago. I was in a house and the house was near the ocean and I was looking out the window which was a large picture window and the waves started getting bigger and bigger and were crashing over the house. This is usually the way the dream goes.. I do not have prophetic dreams so don't worry. Just thought I'd share since this was so recentt. But I've had the same type of dream for as long as I can remember. I think it has some other meaning.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

It really isn't a good idea to live next to the ocean on any coast.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

crazyewok

ketsuko

Well you just awnserd your question of how it would work lol

If the usa hadnt been wasting its time and money bombing the ME into a even bigger hate filled landmass then maybe it could have looked into ideas like you suggested.

Dude you live in the UK. I'm sure you have heard of the British empire. England controlled half the world with its (military).. Don't throw stones

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Zaphod58

When the Gilbert Inlet suffered an earthquake in 1958, a 30 million cubic meter area of rock slipped into the Lituya Bay. The resulting tsunami was 1720 feet tall. The Hilina Slump is 5,000 cubic MILES of land.

Good Gosh!! That was the mother of all tsunamis, No?

There is 12 hours difference in time between here and the USA so I saw the Wrabbits response last night and logged off. Slept right through a big rain shower and it was darn cool this morning.

For those who took the time to post in this thread I thank you... I went back and tried to star everyone if that means something? I do hope that for some it was a bit of knowledge you did not have before... It was for me when I came across the article

All of this stuff kinda reminds me of some preachers I knew when growing up that claimed the second coming was at hand or the rapture was upon mankind... They are all dead now and lived their life in fear or longing depending on their mindset.. Basically a waste of thought energy IMO but it certainly was a conversational topic for them....

The earthquakes, super volcanos, tsunamis, and all around unfavorable earth changes for mankind are part and parcel of life on this planet. The tsunami that hit Phuket Thailand was just another day in paradise until it wasn't... Many people died and businesses were destroyed; they were better off (body count wise) than many were; where the wave hit... but the rebuild has erased almost all the scars and life goes on.

In my great patriotic war we had a saying that was something like, "When the great ticket puncher punches your ticket the ride is over".... Might be more truth in that than is apparent at first glance..

I just don't want to push him/her into a punch job because I was upside down close to the ground while doing ??? knots and get hit between the eyes with a big fat June Bug going in the opposite direction.. Lame I know but some will get the picture and smile?

edit on 15-12-2013 by 727Sky because: er

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   

crazyewok

ketsuko

I believe you're posting on the wrong thread....
This thread is about a tsunami, not the middle east, which you keep referring to.
Your hatred of America is adding nothing constructive to the conversation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join