It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actions Punishable By Death in the Old Testament

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Then you are wrong. Revelations was clearly written about the future. Its the main subject of the book.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWrightWing

Jewish tribal law, harsh as it is, was responsible for helping to civilise a large enough number of human tribes from savages to a fairly sophisticated society, which was the intent.

Nonsense! The real savages were out in the desert, killing each other, their perceived enemies, sacrificing animals etc. in the name of their tribal god, while the truly civilized people were living in sophisticated societies already governed by sensible laws, ie Egypt, Greek Helenites and the Minoan, the Phonician, the Indus Valley settlements, not to mention the Mayans, and the Chinese, et al!

In other words, the ancient Hebrews did nothing to promote civilization in the world and contributed no science or technical advances to the world at all.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

TheWrightWing
reply to post by olaru12

Then you are wrong. Revelations was clearly written about the future. Its the main subject of the book.

No...you're wrong...it's heresy!!!

www.christian-community.org...
edit on 15-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

define "civilized" please...

civilized without freedom and made to believe a human is God?

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

windword

Nonsense! The real savages were out in the desert, killing each other, their perceived enemies, sacrificing animals etc. in the name of their tribal god, while the truly civilized people were living in sophisticated societies already governed by sensible laws, ie Egypt, Greek Helenites and the Minoan, the Phonician, the Indus Valley settlements, not to mention the Mayans, and the Chinese, et al!

In other words, the ancient Hebrews did nothing to promote civilization in the world and contributed no science or technical advances to the world at all.

"Egypt, Greek Helenites and the Minoan, the Phonician, the Indus Valley settlements, Mayans & Chinese" all summits of civilised behaviour of course.

No savagery among them, right?

Maybe a quick review of your world history books is in order.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

olaru12

No...you're wrong...it's heresy!!!

www.christian-community.org...
edit on 15-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

So you insist.

Whether included in the Bible or left to Apocrypha makes no difference.

There is wisdom there, there are no commands to humans to follow which contradict the 10.

See the point?

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

SisyphusRide

define "civilized" please...

Perhaps we may accept your definition of "Civilised" can you define it?

You are free to accept or reject the Covenant. See how that works?

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

civ·i·lized (sv-lzd)
adj.
1. Having a highly developed society and culture.
2. Showing evidence of moral and intellectual advancement; humane, ethical, and reasonable: terrorist acts that shocked the civilized world.
3. Marked by refinement in taste and manners; cultured; polished.

You mean like Christianity that says that a man named Jesus was "God"?

No savagery among them, right?

Not compared to the savagery of the Old Testament and the Hebrew God.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

sk0rpi0n
@2ofusareone....''The Law was never given to help us become righteous.... '' __________________________________________________________________________________...... Oh really? So what are christians supposed to do witn the Biblical verses that teach that those who keep the law are righteous? Did God play a prank on people by giving the Law and saying those who keep it are ''righteous'' (Ezekiel 18:9)and not actually meaning it?
edit on 15-12-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

That is under the assumption that the bible and quran was from god directly and not created in humans who believe in god.

I follow the law of one and the golden rule because I love the ideals. But any so call human created law that do not follow the golden rule is from my point of view not from god but the opposite side.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

windword

Not compared to the savagery of the Old Testament and the Hebrew God.

That's your story, based on a position of having some sort of axe to grind, I suspect.

From Savagery to Civilisation. You cannot have something without its opposite to contrast against.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

You are free to accept or reject the Covenant. See how that works?

No one was free to reject the ancient Hebrews and their covenant when they came a knockin!

Deut 20:10

When thou comest nigh unto a city to fight against it, then proclaim peace unto it.

11 And it shall be, if it make thee answer of peace, and open unto thee, then it shall be, that all the people that is found therein shall be tributaries unto thee, and they shall serve thee.

12 And if it will make no peace with thee, but will make war against thee, then thou shalt besiege it:

Unless a city slated for overthrow by the Hebrews acquiesced, and the king and all the people agreed to become servants to the Hebrews, they were all murdered. There was no rejecting the "Covenant"!

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

That's your story, based on a position of having some sort of axe to grind, I suspect.

LOL! That's not "my" story, that's the story of the Old Testament!

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

windword

No one was free to reject the ancient Hebrews and their covenant when they came a knockin!

Then are we not fortunate that the New Covenant supersedes Jewish Tribal law?

Would you argue that modern Jewish tribes are as savage as they were in OT times, today?

Anyone can see it is just the opposite, Jewish tribes are wholly civilised and bear little resemblance to the desert wanders of old.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Akragon
reply to post by FlyersFan

Luckily a large chunk of humanity has evolved away from thinking God would tell set these laws.

Agreed...

Now all we need is the rest of humanity to realise that God isn't a tyrant...

Yes. God rules on so many levels!
. A very nice and loving being. To bad god has a bad reputation on earth. Feels sorry for god.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

regardless the Minoans were on an island

and we still do not have a civilized society anywhere I can think of today...

a society is a society, a civilization is a civilization.

"civilized" is something else... and no matter how much I admire the Greek we're still kind of working on that today.

We've got this far because of the Bible itself.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
(2. Showing evidence of moral and intellectual advancement; humane, ethical, and reasonable: terrorist acts that shocked the civilized world.)

that's my favorite... I guess throwing others in a pit with lions isn't kinda ethical or moral anymore?

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

LittleByLittle

Akragon
reply to post by FlyersFan

Luckily a large chunk of humanity has evolved away from thinking God would tell set these laws.

Agreed...

Now all we need is the rest of humanity to realise that God isn't a tyrant...

Yes. God rules on so many levels!
. A very nice and loving being.
To bad god has a bad reputation on earth. Feels sorry for god.

feel sorry for the people in this world that don't know that...

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Then are we not fortunate that the New Covenant supersedes Jewish Tribal law?

What are you talking about? Jewish tribal law was for the Hebrews, not for anyone else. They took their supposed edicts from their "tribal war god" to oppress and conquer and destroy everyone in their way.

The advent of Jesus, a Jewish man, didn't save anyone from from Hebrew tribal law, as it never was something that outsiders would ever be subject to.

The Hebrew war machine was halted by armies that belonged to other nations and gods, like for example, Alexander the Great and the Romans.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Akragon

Theres only 2 just so you know... the ten hang on the two

Akragon can you give me your view on the ten becoming two commandments?

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

windword
What are you talking about? Jewish tribal law was for the Hebrews, not for anyone else.

Is conversion a new concept for you?

Summary: One can convert to Judaism.

Jewish tribal law is for anyone who wishes it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join