It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actions Punishable By Death in the Old Testament

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Luckily a large chunk of humanity has evolved away from thinking God would tell set these laws.

Agreed...

Now all we need is the rest of humanity to realise that God isn't a tyrant...

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Religious Fundies are holding back our specie...I know we will not let them take over and If they try I hope many will step up and fight against them.

Nope! Those that preach intolerance are the ones that, truly do, hold our species back. You're just as guilty, of that, as the "Fundies" are.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

sk0rpi0n
Why do Christians even try and isolate Jesus from the Law?

Because stoning a person to death for telling a lie about being a virgin, or for eating shellfish, or for practicing birth control ... is INSANE and not from God.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by NihilistSanta

Sorry but I, again, have no idea what you are talking about.
Please rephrase the statement/question. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

sk0rpi0n
@thewrightwing...... Don't forget Jesus said that the law was to remain until heaven and earth pass away.... And even acknowledged the authority of the Pharisees, who were law-obsesssed... For the reason that they sat in the ''chair of Moses''. Why do Christians even try and isolate Jesus from the Law?

Commandments are the law. As in, the famous 10 you may had heard of.

Christianity is simple: Respect the 10 commandments, recognise the Christ as the Messiah.

Outside of that, there are lessons and wisdom to be found in the Bible, apocrypha or not.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

BenReclused
Those that preach intolerance are the ones that, truly do, hold our species back. You're just as guilty, of that, as the "Fundies" are.

So is being intolerant of murdering people because they lie about being a virgin, means that the person intolerant of the murder is just as bad as the murderer? hmmm ... I"m just not seeing it.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWrightWing

Theres only 2 just so you know... the ten hang on the two

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
If you find those OT verses freaky...
Try reading the laws of the Muslim religion ….. Just as, if not, more scary.
Thing is they still uphold them 1400 years later, that is scary!

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I still find it peculiar that there can be a Covenant with GOD in the old testament a system of laws and edicts ordered by the SUPREME BEING....

and then suddenly it's ok to ignore them for a new covenant.

to me it just seems all contrived by a King/priest culture of MEN looking for the easy way out!

I just don't see a GOD saying.........."oh never mind" "the rules have changed"

edit on 15-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

TheWrightWing
Christianity is simple

Christianity is VERY simple. But you are arguing with a Muslim who tries to make Christianity something it isn't, and who convolutes Jesus message.

The O.T. .... lots of supposed 'laws of God' telling people to kill each other.
The N.T. .... Mercy, forgiveness, 2nd chances (70 times 7 second chances)
and punishments that fit the crime.

BIG DIFFERENCE.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

olaru12

So doesn't that kind of tell you that the original 'laws' ... the ones that were strange like 'death for eating practicing birth control' ... didn't really come from God at all?? That's what it looks like. Either that, or the laws change as the times change because God can see what is best for that particular time period. Either way, the O.T. laws are absurdly deadly and we are better off without them.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

FlyersFan

TheWrightWing
Christianity is simple

Christianity is VERY simple. But you are arguing with a Muslim who tries to make Christianity something it isn't, and who convolutes Jesus message.

The O.T. .... lots of supposed 'laws of God' telling people to kill each other.
The N.T. .... Mercy, forgiveness, 2nd chances (70 times 7 second chances)
and punishments that fit the crime.

BIG DIFFERENCE.

Atheists do the very same thing, for much the same reason.

However, the Koran is very clear and written by one man, its chronological which means later commands negate all earlier ones, which is interesting since it becomes more violent as "The Prophet" gets older and more powerful, verified by the Hadith.

Which is why there is a big misunderstanding about their 'devout". See Taqiyya.

edit on CST10America/Chicago50Sun, 15 Dec 2013 10:41:39 -06004110103150 by TheWrightWing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

FlyersFan

NihilistSanta
How do you expect prophetic events like the birth of Christ to manifest if the bloodline was corrupted due to rape or infidelity?

Jesus ancestor was a murderer. David committed murder. Jesus ancestors sinned. So what? He didn't have a pure bloodline all the way back to whenever humanity began.

What if all of the Israelite s had embraced homosexuality?

4% of humanity is homosexual. Having 4% not reproducing wouldn't have effected anything.
And homosexuality isn't 'catchy'. Either you are or you aren't.

How many of the examples listed in the OP are incredibly damaging to a small nomadic community?

The point ... we've evolved and thankfully people don't think like that anymore.

This isn't even taking into account the various bloodlines that survived the flood trying to co-mingle with the Jews and corrupt prophecy.

- There was no flood in which only Noah and his family survived. It's impossible.
- As for your thoughts on 'corrupted bloodline' ... I have no idea what you are talking about.

4 % is an assumption on your part - The science is out on whether it is something someone is born with.
Pure is not sinless but you would know that if you read more than anti-OT talking points.
You don't know that there was no flood. Now you are just trying to reinterpret the OT based on your own assumptions which is probably why you have such a hard time comprehending the things from the OP.
Jesus had to be born through the line of David. If someone in that line had been raped and allowed to continue on with the child then the prophecy would have been broken correct?

Christians believe the Jews went astray with the law. We understand what you eat is not something necessary for salvation. However if the Jews had all been consuming pork and shellfish they might have died out from illnesses related to those types.

You seem to be missing the larger picture. All of the stuff you don't understand from the OT was setting up the events to transpire in the NT. Jesus did not come to end the law but to fulfill it. The culture had to be created and set apart from the others around it. The bloodline had to remain intact. Hell if people weren't stoning each other Christ would have not been able to deliver us important messages about how to treat each other and judging each other like when people wanted to stone the adulteress. All of this while maintaining free will.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

FlyersFan

olaru12

So doesn't that kind of tell you that the original 'laws' ... the ones that were strange like 'death for eating practicing birth control' ... didn't really come from God at all?? That's what it looks like. Either that, or the laws change as the times change because God can see what is best for that particular time period. Either way, the O.T. laws are absurdly deadly and we are better off without them.

When will the next New Covenant arrive? God is apparently very capricious, so next.... One new commandment...."Mind your own ****in business"

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

So is being intolerant of murdering people because they lie about being a virgin, means that the person intolerant of the murder is just as bad as the murderer? hmmm ... I"m just not seeing it.

That's because you misconstrued the SUBJECT of my statement:

Those that preach intolerance

I hope that helps.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

olaru12

When will the next New Covenant arrive? God is apparently very capricious, so next.... One new commandment...."Mind your own ****in business"

Jewish tribal law, harsh as it is, was responsible for helping to civilise a large enough number of human tribes from savages to a fairly sophisticated society, which was the intent.

The new covenant arrived at a time when human civilisation was ready for the next step, which was correct.

The "next" covenant (step, age, world, etc...) was attempted to be revealed in the writings found in revelations.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

NihilistSanta
4 % is an assumption on your part -

Modern Survey Results
Approx 4% of the population is homosexual. Approx 2% is bisexual.

The science is out on whether it is something someone is born with.

Don't worry ... you can't 'catch' being homosexual.
People are born straight. People are born gay.
That's in my text books from my B.S. in Psychology.
Homophobic people should learn to relax a bit ...

Pure is not sinless but you would know that if you read more than anti-OT talking points.

'Let him without sin cast the first stone'. - Jesus
Pretty clear. No one is sinless. No one should stone anyone.

You don't know that there was no flood.

There was no world wide flood in which only the family of Noah survived, along with 2 pair of reproducing animals of each kind. It's genetically impossible.

which is probably why you have such a hard time comprehending the things from the OP.

I comprehend just fine.

Jesus had to be born through the line of David. If someone in that line had been raped and allowed to continue on with the child then the prophecy would have been broken correct?

Jesus was born through the line of David. And if a rape occurred in the line, how would putting the pregnant woman to death somehow fix that? It doesn't. Think it through a bit.... then get back to us.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

TheWrightWing

The "next" covenant (step, age, world, etc...) was attempted to be revealed in the writings found in revelations.

ok.....who's interpretation of that symbolic double-speak, bowl of BS do we believe? Yours?

Revelations almost wasn't included in the NT. See the disconnect?

www.christian-community.org...
edit on 15-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

olaru12

TheWrightWing

ok.....who's interpretation of that symbolic double-speak, bowl of BS do we believe? Yours?

Are you saying the Revelations was not an attempt to peer into and reveal the future?

Is that so.

Apocrypha has nothing to do with validity. Again: Respect the 10 commandments, recognise the Christ as the Messiah.

edit on CST11America/Chicago50Sun, 15 Dec 2013 11:02:59 -06000211113150 by TheWrightWing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

TheWrightWing

olaru12

TheWrightWing

Are you saying the Revelations was not an attempt to peer into and reveal the future?

That's exactly what I'm saying!!!!

www.christian-community.org...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join