It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light bulb ban set to take effect

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
If anyone is interested the LED bulbs I have come to like the best are made by CREE. They have them at home depot when I got them they were around 13 dollars each but I am pretty sure I have seen them on sale a couple of times. I did a search on eBay and found them as a 6 pack for around $12 a piece if there is no tax that's pretty good. Home depot may run sales that beat that.

Anyway the Cree look just like the old bulbs and are dimmable run 9.5 watts and put out the same light as an old 60 watt. Plus they are warranted for 10 years.

You can find other LED online much cheaper but they have a weird look to them like a half bulb. I figure if they last 10 years its worth a few bucks more. Just saying there are plenty of options out there that will not break the bank.

edit on 16-12-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

the cfl's go for a buck for a 2 pack here,so cost is no issue to me.If it saves me $,all the better

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Well this makes sense. They needed the tungsten found in traditional bulbs in order to perpetuate the fake gold bar scam. Looks at the price of tungsten leading up to this.

And now that people are, more and more, avoiding mercury fillings -what to do with all that toxic waste?

2 birds, 1 stone.

I will say this. I went out and replaced every bulbs in my house with CFLs and gave it a shot for over a year. Never again. I discovered headaches soon after. Never before in my life could I tell you what a headache felt like. Muscle / nerve issues etc. Worst of all, I noticed ZERO change on my electric bill. ZERO. I used to use 100W or 60W bulbs all throughout the house and replaced them with 12W CFLs. ZERO change in electric bill.

They want us to use less electricity only to pay more for it anyways. But, as in my case, nope -no benefit.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

Yet staring at a computer screen doesn't give you headaches?

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I found my experience with CFL's to be the complete opposite of yours, and I think the majority of people who have made the switch would agree with me. I don't know a single person who has ever complained of headaches or lack of power reduction - and I live in a country where just about every household light is a CFL.

So methinks you are either lying or have a major eye problem that you should get looked at.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
And my folks refuse to listen when I tell them Boosh was a drooling buffoon. Seriously, The new CFLs are dangerous. I don't recall needing a HAZMAT certification to clean up a standard 40W bulb. Ain't too cheap either. It's a good thing us tarded citizens have the "wisdom" of the government to protect us from ourselves! I'm surprised I can get out of bed and get dressed without burning the house down! Maybe next they can tell me I should what type of underpants I should wear. After all, I can't figure out what type of light bulb is best...
edit on 16-12-2013 by JackSparrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I put CFLs in the bedside lamps. Aside from being more expensive, taking ten minutes to reach peak light output, and not being as bright as a standard bulb, these things are great!

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Headaches are quite a common effect associated with CFLs & LEDs when high colour temperature types are installed. As I was suggesting in an earlier post, it could be an evolutionary thing that makes the 6400K, 'cool white' or 'daylight' lamps feel so unnatural to us at night and the fix is really quite easy - always read the label to ensure you have the 'warm white' lamps and headaches should be a thing of the past.

In the early days of CFLs here I got a pack of lamps at what I considered a very reasonable price that turned out to be the worst lighting imaginable. They were marked 6400K colour temperature and came from one of those 'no name' factories in China. I installed a few of them and had to remove them the same day because of the glare which was probably excessive UV output rapidly causing the headaches etc just as described. I installed them in outside lamps where they had a high failure rate with most failing explosively when the internal electrolytic capacitor dried out and went off like a miniature hand grenade blowing the thin plastic base housing the electronics to pieces. Never again.

Bargains are not always what they seem.

Cool white LEDs are not quite as harsh as the worst of the CFLs but still have that 'unnatural' feel in domestic situations. It's great for torches but not so much for room lighting.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

JackSparrow17
And my folks refuse to listen when I tell them Boosh was a drooling buffoon. Seriously, The new CFLs are dangerous. I don't recall needing a HAZMAT certification to clean up a standard 40W bulb.

And you don't need a HAZMAT certification to clean up a broken CFL, either. All you need is some paper towels, some tape, and a zip-loc bag. You could probably make do with even less.

Maybe next they can tell me I should what type of underpants I should wear. After all, I can't figure out what type of light bulb is best...
edit on 16-12-2013 by JackSparrow17 because: (no reason given)

Moisture-wicking is best in most climates.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

beezzer
What I may end up doing is buying the LED types when I absolutely have to.

In case you haven't seen this video..."The LED lights in your home could be spying on you!" It makes you wonder if the light bulb ban is intended to get as many unsuspecting individuals to switch to LED, doesn't it?

edit on 16-12-2013 by Kurius because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Just trying to understand but you are in favor of continuing to produce a light bulb with 10% efficiency?

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

fenson76
reply to post by beezzer

Just trying to understand but you are in favor of continuing to produce a light bulb with 10% efficiency?

If it costs me only fifty cents, yes.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by hellnotes

In reference to my previous post, I should have said the new law is ‘like’ a ban. I wasn’t trying to be misleading, as if the issue isn’t confusing enough at times…

Anyway…any speculation about the new ‘improved’ incandescent bulbs that will be replacing the traditional ones? Efficiency? Problems? Any aside from the cost?

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

tanka418
I'm sorry...just how does that work?

While the mercury bulbs are dangerous for chemical reasons (toxic as hell) they consume less power than resistive types. AND, because of this, can not radiate more EMF.

Actually, they do radiate a lot of EMF/RF noise and even audible noise in the occasional lamp if the windings on the inverter transformer are not encapsulated and a little loose. It's because they use a switchmode inverter directly off the mains (a chopper) which is horrendously noisy in terms of EMF and they are completely unshielded. To my surprise, they also radiate a lot of IR noise which I discovered when the TV's remote control stopped working after I installed a CFL lamp in that room. I have an IR detector I constructed for testing IR signals from remotes and it proved there was major jamming of IR transmissions when the light was on. Mainly it's the cheaper CFLs that exhibit the IR noise.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
There is something extremely dodgy about this whole light bulb thing...

Here, we had the energy corporations sending their representatives to our door and offer to replace our old bulbs with these new ones.

Such lovely people offering to "save us money" at their expense...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   

fenson76

Now in the winter, you will just have to crank your heater up more I guess...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   

_BoneZ_
Embrace LED bulb technology, and throw away the inefficient, ancient incandescent bulbs.

Aren't LEDs too bluish? Most LED flashlights I've seen have a white-bluish light I don't like.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by kiko83bg

Not the new ones. The technology has progressed quite a bit. Even the new florescent put off about the same light now. Two or three years ago they were kind of harsh and took a while to warm up now they act like a regular bulb. As far as LED goes I posted a pick of the ones I think are the best for the money earlier in the thread. I bet no one could tell the difference between it and an old incandescent side by side with a lampshade covering the shape of the bulb. The light it puts out is exactly the same in my opinion.

The difference between the old tech and new is almost night and day.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   

kiko83bg
Aren't LEDs too bluish? Most LED flashlights I've seen have a white-bluish light I don't like.

Those are called "cool white" ones. I hate them too.

Get the "warm white" ones. They're more like the old school bulbs.

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
CFL's are garbage. They also make you irritated because they don't give off the right color temp (even the warm ones aren't like a traditional real light bulb). Flourescent lighting in offices has been proven to cause mood problems with people.

I suppose LED lighting is much better but it still has lots of EMF. The ideal way to do it is have a single low voltage transformer in your house and power all lights (LED) from that. Individual SPS (switching power supply) at each socket adds up to a shi+load of EMF radiation and noise.

edit on 17-12-2013 by 8675309jenny because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join