It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light bulb ban set to take effect

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
All I know is this 75 watt fluorescent light here in the room is on and I can't see a damn thing. I want my 100 watt bulb back. It's like standing in the shadows outside on a cloudy day.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

_BoneZ_

beezzer
this bone-head move.

It's not a boneheaded move. There's no reason in this day and age for incandescent light bulbs to exist anymore. Incandescent bulbs are quickly being replaced with LED bulbs.

You don't need the mercury-filled bulbs either. Those bulbs will be phased out over the next several years as well.

Sure, LED bulbs are more expensive, but you get that money back and then some in energy savings and longevity of the bulbs.

Embrace LED bulb technology, and throw away the inefficient, ancient incandescent bulbs.

Totally agreed. And hey, if people of their own volition won't bother with trying curtail their coal burning energy usage, I'm all for telling them to.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Also incandescent bulbs SUCK! They are ugly yellow light, no where near the true color of light.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   

beezzer

shaneslaughta
My local dollar store cares not for the ban.....the been selling 100 watt bulbs forever.

To hell with bulbs filled with mercury vapor. Ill keep my vacuum tube resistor type bulbs

The ban goes into effect for the 40W and 60W bulbs, specifically.

But as of now, I refuse to buy the mercury-filled ones.

What I may end up doing is buying the LED types when I absolutely have to.

But any way you cut it, this is yet another price burden on those who will feel it the most!

Two good things about the LEDs Beez.. they dont leech mercury(always a good thing if you've been exposed as much as me, isn't it obvious by now) -- and they'll last almost forever at the design voltage level they draw when series-ed up like they are.
I've heard some of the little buggers can go ten years/50,000 hours straight.
And they tingle cool in the bathtub: I may even watch a Hardball...

I'm still buying armfuls of the old Tom Edisons though when I can afford it; they can take them from my burnt dead hand.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I tried to blame Obama for this (laughing) but this was signed by Bush in 2007.

You cant argue this with the Neo Con and Republicans they will just say that Obama did it

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   

sean
All I know is this 75 watt fluorescent light here in the room is on and I can't see a damn thing. I want my 100 watt bulb back. It's like standing in the shadows outside on a cloudy day.

Very few light fixtures are meant to handle 100w. You'll burn the fixture out, or worse...cause a fire. Seriously.

If you are using 100w, you should be using it in the right fixture, meant to handle it.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I'm not sure why we even need to run our lights from 240/110V anyway, since LEDs only need a few volts.
I've got a few mains powered LEDs and they work well, but WAY overpriced, just for the luxury of being able to plug them into a regular socket.

Maybe houses should be redesigned to include 12/24V circuits for lighting. A standardised low voltage system could also be used to supply power for all the low power appliances we have (External HDDs, phones, radios, car fridges, telescopes etc).

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
My entire house is wired on dimmer circuits from the 80s. I can only use incandescent bulbs, no cfl and led. It will cost me about $8,000 to have it rewired. Screw the ban, I will buy bulbs from China on eBay

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsEvolutionBaby

I know there are many places where heating is a necessity for preserving life but, in most places, people are using heat pumps to climate control the entire house so they can roam around in summer attire in the dead of winter. Yet the only visible disincentive to that wasteful practice is a hike in energy prices and it is actually working with demand growth here stagnating in recent years, even reducing below average at times with the advent of solar domestic installations.

The math for energy saving lighting is undeniable
An ordinary incandescent 100W lamp costs, say $1 or less, lasts 1-2 years typically and costs around $70/year to run if on for 8 hours/day. So around $70+/year/lamp.
A 10W LED (very bright) currently costs ~$10, lasts 10 years+ and costs around $7/year to run for 8 hours/day. So over the lifetime of the LED, ((10x7)+10)/10 = $8/year/lamp
If I replace 10 standard lamps with LEDs I can save over $500/year yet people will still quibble over the 'high' cost of energy saving globes. And CFLs are even cheaper but I don't like those myself for a number of reasons so they deserve to be deleted from history.

It does seem uneven to be forcing low energy lighting on the public when far greater areas of energy waste exist but it is just the thin end of the wedge.

The blinding car headlamps are generally HID (High Intensity Discharge) which are much like Xenon flash tubes on steroids although there are some LED types appearing. The problem has been making an LED array that's bright enough for that purpose and able to take the mechanical (temperature/vibration) & electrical (voltage variation) punishment presented by being attached to a moving vehicle on all sorts of roads in all sorts of weather.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Another observation of mine not totally off topic: when you actually bite the bullet and give in to adopting low energy lighting be very careful about the colour temperature of the lamps you choose IE make sure you get 'warm white' types. My theory is that over the millenia since we learnt how to start fires we've adapted to artificial lighting that's predominantly in the red-yellow end of the spectrum. Fuels like wood, oil, candle wax, gas etc are all in this range spectrally and it's relaxing/soothing/warming for us. Incandescent lamps are not surprisingly in this very range.

The cool white or 6400 Kelvin colour temp is way too stark and disturbing for after dark. Sodium vapor produces light more into the green region which many find a little sickening or at least displeasing especially low pressure sodium which tends to be used in fog-prone areas. Recently had all our office lighting replaced with cool white LED panels and they are particularly disturbing despite the assurances that 'we'll get used to it'

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I have a idea

these light globes are still available in Australia these are halogen light globes, Australia also has a ban on the traditional light globes. But these here match up to the old traditional light globes

I recommend these, I tried CCFs and they are not good at lighting a room.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

Those are just a slightly more efficient halogen type lamp shoehorned into a standard lamp form. There's not much energy saving with them, just a little bit of a gesture in the right direction. Most homes here have those outdoor PIR sensor floodlights that take 150W reflector globes so the gesture for less energy with them was to produce 120W replacement globes in the same PAR38 form factor instead. The CFL 23W replacements were something of a failure because they have a hard time starting in low temperatures and rarely reach full brightness before the timer shuts them down unlike incandescents which are instantly fully on.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Pilgrum

We call them out door lights flood lights. you still can buy these.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by WP4YT

If your place has typical phase shift type dimmers you've been seriously over-quoted for a full rewiring job when all you need to do is bypass the dimmers (simplest solution). Retaining the dimming function couldn't possibly be that expensive (new dimmers + compatible lamps, still no actual wiring replacement needed) and if that's the going rate I'll be starting a new highly profitable enterprise shortly

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Not all coutries are following this idea. Get you a good mail order supplier from another country. It's only law here in the Oppressive States of America. And maybe the countries we controll,which if we keep going will be all of them.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

eManym
The problem with the new bulb technology is, as mentioned earlier, they are full of mercury vapor. This is very hazardous if someone accidently drops and breaks one. Also, this new bulb technology emits 100 times more EMF than the traditional bulbs.
edit on 15-12-2013 by eManym because: (no reason given)

I'm sorry...just how does that work?

While the mercury bulbs are dangerous for chemical reasons (toxic as hell) they consume less power than resistive types. AND, because of this, can not radiate more EMF.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

WP4YT
My entire house is wired on dimmer circuits from the 80s. I can only use incandescent bulbs, no cfl and led. It will cost me about $8,000 to have it rewired. Screw the ban, I will buy bulbs from China on eBay

I just saw a 10 pack of LED dimmable light bulbs on E bay for $20. Unless you have 4,000 lights in your house that need to be replaced your cost estimate is way off. If you do have 4,000 lights in your house then the cost is the least of your problems.

Even the military wouldn't pay that much and they are known for thousand dollar hammers.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Well beezer it's true that you can't blame Obama for this one, he wasn't an American citizen when this started. Lol

He will play his part though, by destroying the coal industry. No nukes and no coal... No hydroelectric either cuz that might hurt the fish. Wind and solar are pipedreams at this point so I guess we better get used to sitting in the dark.

This reminds me of nasa, close down the manned space program before we have a replacement. The russians will take us!
Maybe the Russians will sell us electricity after we close down all the power plants..
edit on 16-12-2013 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: Bad spelling

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I have to say I really don't get this resistance to phasing out incandescent bulbs in favour of more energy-efficient CFL's or LED's. We here in Australia have almost completely gotten rid of our incandescents and filled our homes with CFL's (and now LED's that have started to appear in supermarkets.) Personally, since making the switch, my power bill is down considerably and I don't notice the difference in the quality of light whatsoever. The CFL's are made tough so that breakages are kept to a minimum, and unlike incandescent I have only had to replace one CFL in my house in the last 5 years.

Methinks this is just another example of Americans whinging about their government taking control of something. Sometimes this may be the right thing to do, but in this case I think it is ludicrous.

edit on 16/12/2013 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

lakesidepark
The LED bulbs are great. But the price is severely inflated!

I also suspect that the new LED bulbs are made with planned obselescence, as their lifespan (if made properly) should equal ours. A kick in the wallets of bulb manufacturers, who are losing a steady income off the incandescent variety.

So, make a killing off them when they get introduced with a promised 25-year lifespan, and only reduce the price after all the other options leave the market. Therefore make them to last about 3-5 years max.

I adopted LED lighting pretty early, because to me it's always been a no-brainer. So far I've had more than two years without issues; and am waiting on the last few compact fluorescent lights to fail to replace them too. I had the same thought when I first decided to get them, what if they were engineered to fail early, but I just don't buy it due to the nature of the technology and how simple an LED is.

Yes they are expensive, but to me that paid for itself in the first six months when I'd normally have had to replace at least one incandescent bulb. Yeah they are cheap, but that's just a minor hassle I've eliminated from my life. Especially with vaulted ceilings

Edit: Oh and the light output is fantastic, and far brighter than any of my incandescents were.
edit on 16-12-2013 by UnmitigatedDisaster because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join