It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light bulb ban set to take effect

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

There's no reason in this day and age for incandescent light bulbs to exist anymore.

Comments like that irritate the hell out of me.

Effing why ?

Just because the church of climatology says so?

Just because the freaking EPA says so?

Why the hell?

So Americans can buy them bad light bulbs from the largest polluter in the world china ?

Blah

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

marg6043
The corporate government wants to sell for profits inventions and gadgets hiding behind the new and improved better technology that is going to save the planet, people needs to get in their thick heads that those that makes profits for a living careless about earth, the environment or our safety or those of our children, is about selling to make money.

At the end nobody gets save but I know who will profit from banning old bulbs and is not going to be you or me and neither the littler children.

Meh.

The Earth was here long before mankind, and it will be here long after mankind.

When it comes to mother nature versus mankind we continually get owned.

But this save the planet nonsense has got to stop being hijacked by politics.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Well, you’re right, it’s a ban and it’s not good. They’re calling these new bulbs incandescents, but who knows if they will turn out be better or inferior to the old ones. We already know they will be more expensive.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Beezer - listen here. I used to be a liberal, but there is one thing that crossed the line for me. Liberals get mad at religious people for "judging" others for things - but how often does a liberal judge?

Let's compare frequencies per second, or Hz. If a liberal is willing to judge you based on everything, including what kind of light bulb you use, I just can't do it. I'm not going to sign on.

In fact, I'll go as far as to say I'm absolutely sick of them and their fake dance involving "helping" people.

And their judging fps is going to have to be at least 10-100x faster than a conservative's, possibly 1,000 - 10,000x

I can't sign on to that. I tried and I can't do it. I've been around this new generation of liberals and it doesn't work for me. There is just so much hostility and vile hatred. Too much for me. I'm serious.

I don't see how any progress is going to be made at all when liberals have turned into witch hunters.

----------

Look, I don't have any problem with trying to promote better light bulb usage - but you guys have to understand that we have The Patriot Act and the N.S.A. out there right now, as well as Homeland Security Agents. It is literally possible to be arrested for anything, and I would much rather have a set of laws that I understand.

Let's say that I buy these new light bulbs and then ten years from now, they are out of fashion with the liberal elites, yet I own a bunch - do I really want a SWAT team busting down my door? Hell no.

I'm a citizen, not a climatologist combined with light-bulb engineer, and I don't have the money to hire an expert for every field under the sun to make sure that I'm following every rule to its exact perfect theoretical form -

And I'm tired of spending my whole entire life learning that stuff (bull# is the word I would rather use) instead of something I could actually put to use.

---------

Just my feelings at the moment. And it's not just centered around light bulbs.

You guys will probably see me fluctuate between liberal and conservative views a lot probably, btw - I kind of think I have multiple personalities from being absorbed in both high liberal and high conservative societies.
edit on 15pmSun, 15 Dec 2013 20:56:45 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Pilgrum

Not that many winters ago we had to stay in a small-town hotel where the owner (crazy tight dude) either didn't turn the furnace on, or the furnace was out all by itself. We woke up frozen, in the middle of the night.

I had a candle that I lit, we stuffed towels under the door, and it was the heat from the incandescent tri-light bulb that we felt the most heat relief from.

I believe from the examples in previous posts of electronic gear that burns/wastes tonnes more energy one would assume they would focus their direction on. Why are they not.

These LED lights - are they the same lights that some new cars have that semi-blind you when you meet them on the road at night?

C'mon now.

edit - sorry Pilgrim, meant to make this a general reply to the thread, not you in particular -

edit on 15-12-2013 by ItsEvolutionBaby because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I really don't understand why they are even making these kinds of light bulbs. We had the tech 100 years ago to make these last 1000 years with continuous use.

www.youtube.com... Start watching at 3:45.
edit on 15-12-2013 by Rolci because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

beezzer
Are they going to tell me what kind of cheese I'm allowed to purchase next?

The US Government already does, chap...

Stinky French Cheese Banned as "unfit for Human consumption"..., which is ironic for a country that has squirty cheese in a can....

As for the OP, I'm not entirely sure what the rage is about. You say they should leave it down to consumer choice, but they have actually been going on about energy efficiency for years and no-one takes a blind bit of notice, so there comes a time when they just have to legislate for it.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Rolci

Excellent documentary.

I remember watching it a couple of years ago.

Here it is, in case you didn't know how to embed it on ATS:

Planned Obsolescence.

... it all started with the lightbulb.

Talk about conspiracy of conspiracies !

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Planned Obsolence is hardly a conspiracy, it's a fact of life. It is even being addressed by the EU as it leads to a waste of energy and resources:

Some heavy EU Parliament website about it...

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
And the solution? Oh so simple. One man. One small factory. Produce a billion bulbs that last hundreds of years each. Sell each for an amount so in the end they pay all manufacturing costs back but still much less than you would spend on bulbs in a lifetime. Say $10 each or something. I'd buy one for each room first day. Just to make those profit-hungry companies go bust so they stop wasting out FINITE resources unnecessarily.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

To be honest I just read that welfare/food stamp benefits were increased more under Bush than Obama. Which really doesn't come as much of a shock to me but the mantra about Obama and welfare drowns that truth. I doubt Liberals will blast that fact check statement. Republicans liking the poor goes against their talking points.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Light bulbs are a "political issue?"

LOL.
edit on 15-12-2013 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I can't buy 100 watt bulbs anymore?!?!
How the hell is my kid gunna make me cakes in her easy bake oven now?!?!
$&@%#^

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
This guy sells heat balls, he just calls light bulbs that so they are considered electric heaters.
95% heat efficiency!

www.redstate.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

stumason

beezzer
Are they going to tell me what kind of cheese I'm allowed to purchase next?

The US Government already does, chap...

Stinky French Cheese Banned as "unfit for Human consumption"..., which is ironic for a country that has squirty cheese in a can....

As for the OP, I'm not entirely sure what the rage is about. You say they should leave it down to consumer choice, but they have actually been going on about energy efficiency for years and no-one takes a blind bit of notice, so there comes a time when they just have to legislate for it.

Processed cheese was invented by the Swiss, so my apologies that we made it popular.

No, there is no point in time where they have to legislate it.

If people can afford 'incandescent' bulbs, let them buy them. Energy prices increase on their own, due to arguable merits, but do so without help from legislation. People with pinched budgets looking to save energy, read: money, will gravitate towards energy efficiency on their own, one bulb at a time, when the point of diminishing return has been exceeded. Eventually, companies making bulbs will realize the reduced demand for such antiquated bulbs and manufacture more efficient ones and offer them at lower costs in order to cater to the new market demand.

By the way, have you tried a CFL in a refrigerator? They suck. I find what I was looking for before the bulb even puts out enough light to illuminate the contents because of the incandescent light in the kitchen shining over my shoulder.

And, on a tangent, back in 1989 my 1978 VW Scirocco attained more than 30 MPG around town (I delivered pizza back then so I felt gas prices in my wallet) and more than 40 MPG on the freeway using a simple, mechanical fuel injection system and Kettering (points) type ignition. It output less CO2 per mile than most cars on the street today and its last emissions test showed it was in the top 1% of clean emissions IN CALIFORNIA prior to being retired. My 1981 Scirocco tested in the best 1% in 1994 when it was retired as well.

What's happened since then? Fuel economy is down, emissions are up.
Regulate things and this is what happens: big steps backwards, baby steps forwards as industry adjusts.

edit on 12/15/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Hoosierdaddy71

The Screw lightbulbs give me a massive headache. The LED light just does not seem natural.

I did stock up, a couple years ago, but used most of it, better get to the store this week!

Reminds me when the banned the old asthma inhalers, because of the CFC (Chlorofluorocarbons) that was released into the atmosphere. OK< then why do we still have it in hair spray, electronic cigarettes, spray deodorant, you get the idea. It was a lie. A lie to get you to buy the new inhalers that cost ten times the amount of the old ones. The new ones, as any asthmatic will tell you are horrible. .. It was all about the money. When they first banned the old ones, the new ones were 100 bucks without insurance. They have finally come down.

It has always all been about the money.
I am tired of being told what I can buy. What I can or can not resell ( vero laws) .
Another was the zicam.(the cold remedy, not currant allergy one) The only thing that actually worked for the common cold, was TAKEN away,
because it was costing other companies money on their cold products.

I can go on and on. Personally Im tired of living in this crap planet, where people tell us how to live.
America used to be a place , where people had freedom, and with a dream could make anything possible
. Now we are just trying to survive, hope we are not breaking some stupid laws, in this prison nation, while sitting in the living room, watching our corrupted news channels, with a mercury light bulb above our heads, waiting for the next mandate ....

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Wolfenz
I guess Ill start using candle light like in the dark ages .. or using led lights ...

paint my walls glow in the dark colors LOL..

Speaking bring down the planet into the dark ages how about a constant EMP like effect..

this is a job for Snake Pliskin!

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
How many members of the Bush Administration are needed to replace a incandescent light bulb?

The answer is SEVEN:

(1) One to deny that a light bulb needs to be replaced.

(2) One to attack and question the patriotism of anyone who asks
questions about the light bulb.

(3) One to blame the previous administration for the need of a new light
bulb.

(4) One to arrange the invasion of a country rumored to have a
secret stockpile of incandescent light bulbs.

5) One to get together with Vice President Cheney and award a one
million dollar no-bid contract to Halliburton Industries for supplying a
incandescent light bulb.

(6) One to arrange a photo-op session showing Dubya changing the
light bulb while dressed in a flight suit and wrapped in an American
flag.

(7) And finally one to explain to Dubya the difference between
screwing a light bulb and screwing the country.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

From what I have seen, you can light up a house with LED's best by using them for backlight. Installed behind and underneath things.

I don't see them being usable for household use until they do some developing of the "bulb" around them to scatter the light better, maybe filter it some.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join