It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light bulb ban set to take effect

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

There is limitless resource. Instead of strapping the citizens with expensive bulbs that contain mercury, why not fund a Manhattan Project sized search for a solution?

Actually I 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% agree here.

Dump 100 billion into NASA.

Yeah I agree the light bulb things just a band aid really.
edit on 15-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

crazyewok
reply to post by beezzer

So what th oether option? We just waste energy until there is none?

Something has to give to garentee the future energy security.

Yes there alot of other things that waste more energy but unlike light bulbs there isnt a more efficiant version yet. Light bulbs are the only thing thatw could give a slight enegry reduction without banning something complety.

You need to look long term here.

And I hate to say it but its going to get harder as the population increases and resources decrease

Unless we go into space.

As the big ape stated, instead of looking for items to ban, look instead for new ways to create energy.
edit on 15-12-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
How is the heat coming off of an incandescent considered "wasted" energy ?!

For those of us who live in a country that sees -35 C temps for 7 months out of the year and darkness from the hours of 5pm through to 6am, the heat coming off of incandescents is an added friggin' bonus. Thank you very much.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

beezzer

As the big ape stated, instead of looking for items to ban, look instead for new ways to create energy.

I agree with that.

But until we do we need to reduce our enegry consumption. Buy time basicaly.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

crazyewok

beezzer

I agree with that.

But until we do we need to reduce our enegry consumption. Buy time basicaly.

You could buy time without hurting people or the environment.

But this solution both hurts people and the environment.

Sounds like a lose/lose situation to me.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

So forcing lower income people to pay 100x the amount they might have paid previously is a good thing?

I think 100x the amount is stretching it. Maybe 20x.

LED bulbs cost more, but they are likely to never burn out. So, sure, there is an additional cost up front, but they will see immediate returns on their electric bills and will see long-term benefits by the lack of necessity to ever buy bulbs again.

Just think of it...when you pass away, you can will your LED bulbs to your next of kin.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

beezzer

You could buy time without hurting people or the environment.

But this solution both hurts people and the environment.

Sounds like a lose/lose situation to me.

We will have to agree to disagree here.

At the end of the day we are probably all going to have to make some uncomfortble sacrifices in the future

and who's fault is it?

Probably all of us. We have spent to much time focusing on greed and war, especialy since 2001 and not enough time on science. As someone just said we should have had one BIG manhatten or Apollo style project to solve our energy problems.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

LeatherNLace
reply to post by beezzer

So forcing lower income people to pay 100x the amount they might have paid previously is a good thing?

I think 100x the amount is stretching it. Maybe 20x.

LED bulbs cost more, but they are likely to never burn out. So, sure, there is an additional cost up front, but they will see immediate returns on their electric bills and will see long-term benefits by the lack of necessity to ever buy bulbs again.

Just think of it...when you pass away, you can will your LED bulbs to your next of kin.

First off, inheritance tax. Second, an 80 dollar LED bulb could mean the difference between a weeks worth of groceries and light.

Just another government mandate that screws the people.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

LeatherNLace
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

You do realize that you can purchase LED bulbs that do not contain hazardous substances. Honestly, I think the mercury bulbs should be banned too.

Meanwhile, another choice has been made on my behalf.

That seems to be the only way to make irresponsible people act responsibly. It's sad, but true.

Given my own biological configuration, LED and CFL both cause me physical pain that I have to medicate.

I guess whats 'irresponsible' is perceptive....

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Agree to disagree.

I just think it a damned shame.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

19KTankCommander
Banned light bulbs
Banned fire arms
Banned freedom of speech when the Potus is around
Banned from not having health insurance or minim coverage
Banned from using the word Christmas in schools
Banned from having big soda drinks in New York
Banned from making large purchase with cash without the Patriot Act BS
Banned from Hunting Big foot, need a license now
Banned from protecting yourself and family (Lawyers)
Banned from making a decent earning (taxes)

What other things have they (Government) banned us from having or doing.

Makes me sick.

Did you see the little 6 year old boy getting hung with a "sex offender" label that was put in his record for kissing a little girl on the hand? My parents and their friends next door used to make me and the girl next door walk hand in hand to school. I'm sure I'd be tagged with a sex offender label for that now. More government workers showing just how "efficient" they can make the public schools. Our children are so lucky to have these people.

On the banned list: Little boys kissing little girls on the hand at gubmint schools.

Oh, and don't forget this one in Boston: Trying to sit safely and comfortably in your home with your family after a terror attack, and not having the tactical guys wave a gun in your face, ordering you out of your home. Uhm, I don't really think they have the right to go house to house, looking for terrorists, ordering children and women/men out of their safe homes at gunpoint/handsup, without anything more than "they might be around here!" I might be wrong, but I doubt I am.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

crazyewok

bigfatfurrytexan

There is limitless resource. Instead of strapping the citizens with expensive bulbs that contain mercury, why not fund a Manhattan Project sized search for a solution?

Neil DeGrasse-Tyson has an interesting article on this very thing. His belief is that the lack of funding in NASA is helping to create a generation of unengaged dullards.

I think I am sensing a general agreement with his position.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

China has school lectures from space.......

The USA fights the teaching of evolution in school books.......

NASA has been so useless and bumbling since the last apollo mission its a joke.

We should be minning the moon and even mars by now.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Meanwhile....

Warehouses, manufacturing plants, street lights, etc all around the world are using massive energy sucking metal hallide bulbs to light the way.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

crazyewok

bigfatfurrytexan

Neil DeGrasse-Tyson has an interesting article on this very thing. His belief is that the lack of funding in NASA is helping to create a generation of unengaged dullards.

Maybe it's the fact that we are intentionally using our education system to churn out dullards who don't understand HOW to get engaged or even WHY.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

CranialSponge
Meanwhile....

Warehouses, manufacturing plants, street lights, etc all around the world are using massive energy sucking metal hallide bulbs to light the way.

Well, if they were mandated to use the mercury-filled bulbs or the LED type, it might cost alot.

Better to just stick it to the poor people.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

crazyewok

China has school lectures from space.......

The USA fights the teaching of evolution in school books.......

NASA has been so useless and bumbling since the last apollo mission its a joke.

We should be minning the moon and even mars by now.

again...the petrodollar.

I was working to do some investing in an He3 operation that would come out of Austin. Then I was told, "Exxon-Mobile bought me out....sorry"

This apparently happens fairly frequently. And is only one method used to shut down such endeavors.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

badgerprints

bigfatfurrytexan

crazyewok

bigfatfurrytexan

Maybe it's the fact that we are intentionally using our education system to churn out dullards who don't understand HOW to get engaged or even WHY.

I hate doing rapid fire replies...but this needs to be pointed out.

Whistleblower Charlotte Iserbyte has been telling of this for 30 years. I mention her name quite a bit and am mostly ignored. But you are right. Absolutely right.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

badgerprints

Dullards make good cannon fodder and the USA needs alot.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

again...the petrodollar.

I was working to do some investing in an He3 operation that would come out of Austin. Then I was told, "Exxon-Mobile bought me out....sorry"

This apparently happens fairly frequently. And is only one method used to shut down such endeavors.

Tell mw about it. The science industry is full of horror storys like that.
Even in the bio tec industry you have big pharma doing the same. I Knew a proffesor who had a MS drug in devlopment that was far more effective than a smiliar drug a certain big pharma compnay was about to put out, so the pharma company squashed him in legal procedures he had no chance of being able to afford to contest.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join