It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light bulb ban set to take effect

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

(laughing)

You will NOT get me to defend Obama!

Personally, I'm more upset at our (societies) ovine behavior.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I read these new CFL bulbes emit more UV than the older bulbs. Is this true? So does this mean photo-sensitive people will need a UV shade? or what?

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I must have 5000 bulbs of the old, incandescent, 100w variety. I bought them up like crazy. We use them to put into spotlights so water pipes don't freeze.

If you have a pumphouse on a water well, you do this. You also might do it inside a dog house to keep the dog warm. I have an outdoor laundry room (built onto my back porch, which i use as an outdoor room/part of my house). If i don't keep a bulb on, the pipes freeze. Even with the bulb on, last week my washers pump froze. Lucky it didn't get ruined.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

A shopkeeper told me years ago what he used to do to stop his crates of soft drink bottles freezing in his outside hut. He simply left a light bulb on that was 100 watts and it worked every time. Kept the temp just above freezing by doing this.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Thing is we do need to reduce our energy useage......

Not trying to be a hippie or progresive just a realalist.

Until we start spreading out into the solar system our resources are limited and getting more so by the day and our fossil fuels will run out. Its just insane to wast was resources we have on inefficant designs.

We dont want the power going out for good in ten years time because we were to greedy and lazy to change.

US Europeans are already trying to be more energy conservative, the USA and China need to join the club or none of us will have power soon.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Is interesting how the government, corporate manufactures and any special interest running the nation uses forced commerce to control what we the consumer buy, this is been going on for a long time, is not new, just ban a common item and put in the shelve the new item they want to sell and there you have it, you are forced to chance your habits.

I guess old lights are no as profitable as the poison crap they are forcing us to buy now, eventually we all be forced into buying a more expensive item at the end, for safety..

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

beezzer
What business is it of the government (any government) to determine for me what I should spend on power usage or bulb type?

Why should we have to have the lights go out cause a few irrsponsible Americans insisted on useing the worlds resources up quicker than we could replace the depleted resources.

This is beyond personal choice, this is about survival of civilisation as we know it.

Do you really want to go back 200 years becauce you want 60 Watt light bulbs?

Your freedom to buy a 60watt light buld could very well impact MY freedom to have hot water and lights in the future.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I switched over to the LED bulbs a few months ago. There was a sale at Home Depot and since then my electric bill dropped 30 to 40 dollars. So I have no complaints. The light from them is better than from the old style ones as well.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

It is not really beyond personal choice. A more expensive solution is provided, and we are forced into buying it. Thats the problem.

The way things work, "solutions" aren't really better than the problem they solve. You believe in scarcity. I think scarcity is a fallacy put in place in order to extract value from you. Your labor, your work...you are nothing more than an Erlang. Scarcity is utilized as a way to entice you to work, and to follow through with specific actions.

Freedom comes with choice. Without choice, you are really only free to believe that you are free, regardless of the truth.
edit on 15-12-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Every once in a while, an individual comes along with an invention that revolutionizes the world....and then someone comes along behind them and makes that invention more efficient. Such is the case with light bulbs. I bet the OP is also upset about the phasing out of stream engines. Are you cool with hydrogen fuel, or are you going to cling to fossil fuels as well?

This incandescent light bulb ban is one of the very few things that GWB got right in his nightmarish 8-year presidency; and, for that, I give him kudos.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

I think scarcity is a fallacy put in place in order to extract value from you.

Im sorry but this is just crazy. And wishfull thinking.

The world in a finite place. There is no "unlimited resources" on earth.

bigfatfurrytexan
Freedom comes with choice. Without choice, you are really only free to believe that you are free, regardless of the truth.
edit on 15-12-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

And what about the freedom for me to have working lights in a few decades time?

Should a chemical planet be "free" to dump its waste in the local river?

As for price, well maybe the goverment should have waited until you guys had them in number to reduce the cost or you economey was well enough for you guys to be able to afford them. I dont think the law is wrong just the timeing.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

LeatherNLace
Every once in a while, an individual comes along with an invention that revolutionizes the world....and then someone comes along behind them and makes that invention more efficient. Such is the case with light bulbs. I bet the OP is also upset about the phasing out of stream engines. Are you cool with hydrogen fuel, or are you going to cling to fossil fuels as well?

This incandescent light bulb ban is one of the very few things that GWB got right in his nightmarish 8-year presidency; and, for that, I give him kudos.

Is it really better? Sure, there is less waste due to heat and all that. But you spend 10x's more on a product that contains some very, very nasty stuff. Is the mercury in our fish not quite high enough, we need to create legal mandates that will worsen it?

There are trade off's here. We are trading what is, at the current moment, a financial decision for contamination. If energy were running out and we saw long lines at the gas pump, perhaps we could make the argument for scarcity. But as it stands, this is about money.

I don't see the "win" in this. All I see are bulb companies getting some legal protection, and landfills getting contaminated. Meanwhile, another choice has been made on my behalf.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

If society is that close to the edge where a 60W light bulb will make the difference, then we're worse off than I thought.

If energy consumption is that rationed where they have to ban certain bulbs, then what's to stop the government from limiting how many lamps, computers, microwave ovens, refrigerators, iPads, alarm clocks, . . . . etc. that we are allowed to have?

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

LeatherNLace

So forcing lower income people to pay 100x the amount they might have paid previously is a good thing?

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
[ Meanwhile, another choice has been made on my behalf.

I will put my hand up and say that im not a fan of goverments telling me what I can or can not own.

BUT

One of the goverments jobs is national security. That is its basic job law and order (or public safety) and security of the country., Hence why you have a armed forces and police.

If you strip everything away wellfare, liceinces, nanny state regulation ect you would be left with Security and public safety. If you took those two away you may as well not have any goverment what so ever

And future resouce depletion does come under security and even law and order. If the lights went out in America you would see the SHTF fast.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

crazyewok

bigfatfurrytexan

I think scarcity is a fallacy put in place in order to extract value from you.

Im sorry but this is just crazy. And wishfull thinking.

The world in a finite place. There is no "unlimited resources" on earth.

The wind blows every day. You can bet on it.

Schumann resonance...it is there all the time.

All all points of the day, the sun is illuminating half of the planet.

Energy is as unlimited as it gets.

And what about the freedom for me to have working lights in a few decades time?

What of it? It is imaginary. You believe it to be true, sure. But belief means nothing in a world where men believe blowing themselves up glorifies their god.

Should a chemical planet be "free" to dump its waste in the local river?

Exactly. The currently mandated bulbs have mercury in them. Glad you understand.

As for price, well maybe the goverment should have waited until you guys had them in number to reduce the cost or you economey was well enough for you guys to be able to afford them. I dont think the law is wrong just the timeing.

You realize that this is dumb, right? So, you feel that our economy was good enough for us all to afford them? How broad of a brush are you using to justify your position here?

No, the law is wrong. If you want to improve energy efficiency, the light bulb is fruit that is so high up in the tree as to make it laughable that it was even harvested. And by harvested, i mean legally replaced with a toxic option.

I mean, really...light bulbs? Such a big ticket item that our conversion in our house to CFL's produced about $10 in monthly savings on a $300 a month bill.

Everyone follow the lead of your respective government. Please. It gives you a sense of self identity and import. LOL

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

LeatherNLace

Is it really better? Sure, there is less waste due to heat and all that. But you spend 10x's more on a product that contains some very, very nasty stuff. Is the mercury in our fish not quite high enough, we need to create legal mandates that will worsen it?

There are trade off's here. We are trading what is, at the current moment, a financial decision for contamination. If energy were running out and we saw long lines at the gas pump, perhaps we could make the argument for scarcity. But as it stands, this is about money.

I don't see the "win" in this. All I see are bulb companies getting some legal protection, and landfills getting contaminated. Meanwhile, another choice has been made on my behalf.

LED lights do not contain even the slightest trace of mercury, which makes them the safest alternative when it comes to lighting an office or home. Other forms of light bulbs, such as the currently trendy CFL bulbs, contain mercury as well as a number of other toxic chemicals that emit vapors into the environment, making them very dangerous for personal or commercial use. Some of the following light bulbs do contain mercury, and special care should be taken when handling them.
- See more at: www.ledlights.org...

BTW my electric went from $138 to $86 a month when switching to LED. They have already paid themslves off.
edit on 15-12-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

crazyewok

If you strip everything away wellfare, liceinces, nanny state regulation ect you would be left with Security and public safety. If you took those two away you may as well not have any goverment what so ever

Now you're talking.

In the words of Thoreau, "That government is best which governs least"

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

beezzer

If society is that close to the edge where a 60W light bulb will make the difference, then we're worse off than I thought.

If energy consumption is that rationed where they have to ban certain bulbs, then what's to stop the government from limiting how many lamps, computers, microwave ovens, refrigerators, iPads, alarm clocks, . . . . etc. that we are allowed to have?

You see that the problem

No we most likley are not that close (HOPEFULLY!!!) and you useing a 60w light bulb will likley not make a diffrence.

BUT

If 100 million american keep useing that 60w light bulb then in a decade or two time we may find ourselfs in that situtaion, we will at some point unless something changes.

So its better to change now when we have some wriggle room than wait till we dont and disasters looming.

To be honnest the govemnt I think did this at a bad time and should have waited a few years until the cost went down and people were better off (hense wiggle room) but in principle its something that would have needed to be done sooner or later.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

Now you're talking.

In the words of Thoreau, "That government is best which governs least"

But at the end of the day your still left with public safety. Hence why you have laws that ban murder, stealing ect.

Resource depletion is a matter of public safety and national security.

It why both the US and EU space agnecy need to get there fingers out and start pumping more money into our respetive space agencys so we can solve our growing resource and over population problems for good.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join