It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light bulb ban set to take effect

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by LaElvis

The article is not a lie.....its posted as is on cnn.

There is no ban....they aren't coming to take your bulbs.

They just keep cutting availability till they are gone.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by LaElvis

From the source

Light bulb manufacturers will cease making traditional 40 and 60-watt light bulbs -- the most popular in the country -- at the start of 2014.

This comes after the controversial phasing out of incandescent 75 and 100-watt light bulbs at the beginning of 2013.

In their place will be halogen bulbs, compact fluorescent bulbs, LED bulbs and high efficiency incandescents -- which are just regular incandescents that have the filament wrapped in gas. All are significantly more expensive than traditional light bulbs, but offer significant energy and costs savings over the long run. (Some specialty incandescents -- such as three-way bulbs -- will still be available.)

Will I be able to purchase the same 60W bulbs that I used to buy?

No.

Why?

Because they are now no longer allowed to be made.

Banned.

QED

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

beezzer
What I may end up doing is buying the LED types when I absolutely have to.

This is what I've started doing. I love LED's, my apartment has a power issue (over power or whatever its called) that causes the light bulbs to blow out when you turn on a light. This hasn't happened yet with the LED lights, especially in my problem area where lights would go every week. It's been six months now and the LED light is still going.

However, on the whole banning of light bulbs issue, it's idiotic. The government(s) want to be able to control every aspect of our life. Be it the health care we use, light bulbs we use, what kinds of foods we can eat, collecting rain water, eating non-GMO foods... The list goes on and on.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by shaneslaughta

80?????

LOL

Yep and more if you want to replace those pesky power hungry halogen floods on the driveway.
180 a three pack.

You have to get new light bulbs. You have to get health insurance.

Sorry you broke the economy but forcing Americans to spend what they dont have is ludicrous to say the least.

Just like the US govt cant spend their way out of the hole, we cant spend us out either.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
It's a FACT that enormous amounts of energy (and therefore money) is wasted daily...and light bulbs are ONE major component here. Their energy efficiency is very bad (too lazy to look it up now)..but most of the energy used is not turned into LIGHT but into heat.

Here in EU, we have the ban for a couple or so years already.

It's all about LED or Halogen bulbs now.

I actually like those Halogen ones, they last a lot longer than the traditional ones. LEDs are normally way too dim/dark or too "white" for my taste...but I guess they have stronger ones now also.

In terms of energy wasting..I just remember once working at a big corporate...where NO ONE bothered to turn off-their computers when they were off work. Better even, rather than turning comps OFF people had those stupid screen savers running all the time which downloaded pics from the net, 24/hrs....for comps which are used...say...8hrs/day at the max.

BILLIONS are wasted on energy...you need to realize that.
edit on 72013R000000SundayAmerica/Chicago31AMSundaySunday by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Those halogens convert tons of energy into heat. Ever stand in front of one? Tons of wasted energy there.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This whole thing is just to import more Chinese crap into this country. You know how they like to cut corners to make manufacture as cheap as possible.

When the price of LED comes down, it will be because of cheaper components used in the manufacture.

Sure the LED them selves might live forever.....but those resistors and diodes that drop the voltage certainly will burn out from heat.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
It's time to build or buy your own edison light bulbs, led panels, there are speciality edison filament bulbs that are still legal and don't fall under it. The others are a form of depopulation.

We're going to get into making them, may even turn into a business for the boys.
edit on 15-12-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

You guys are shopping all wrong.

www.amazon.co.uk...

6/ 7 quid over here.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

There is an edison bulb burning somewhere in ca, fire department.....over 100 years n going strong.

Ever hear of the centennial light?

Centennial Light

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
It's for your own good.

I mean if you don't know what kind of toilet to buy, what makes you think you could possibly know what kind of light bulb works best for you?

That's right, government regulates what kind of toilet your allowed to take a crap in.

The Greens are the new reds.

Isn't government great?
edit on 15-12-2013 by bjax9er because: Edit

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The price of LED bulbs will come down significantly once they become the norm. Look at large LCD flat-screen TV's, for instance. They cost $10,000-$20,000-$50,000 when they first came out. Now you can get the same sizes for $1000-$2000 or less

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by LaElvis

Given that Beezer was directly quoting a MSM source -- as he had to under the forum rules -- I think it's a shining example of how they cannot always be trusted to throw light on subject, or at least show it in the best possible light.

Lighthearted observations aside, your own observations reflect part of the bigger issue. Even if there is not a literal ban, there is a defacto one, because the light bulb makers themselves are wary going forward. And as for the general public who do not research matters like this in depth as you do (and many ATSers do), they often believe what the msm tell them -- without even questioning the veracity of it.

This thread may help to make some readers more aware of these issues and I feel it has value for that alone. It's not just about light bulbs. It's also about regulation and whether it is even legal or not.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er

What business is it of the government (any government) to determine for me what I should spend on power usage or bulb type?

Are they going to tell me what kind of cheese I'm allowed to purchase next?

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You may give Obama a pass on this. *I* sure don't. If he'd overseen this being implemented in his first year or something, I could see saying he felt compelled by past programs and issues to follow through on a previous program. However, he owns this himself after 5 years of it existing under his EPA and his Executive enforcement agencies.

In 2011, Congress forced the extension of this..AGAINST the desires of the Executive Branch, so it didn't clobber us then. Now, it'll clobber us when we're in even worse shape, generally, then we were at that point for extra money on anything.

I hear the people who say "LEDs will come down in price". Okay, Dandy. Great. How about we eliminate the affordable option AFTER there is another AFFORDABLE option.

This isn't a joke or game to people like me, and I'm doing BETTER than a good % in this nation, despite how challenging life is some days. Given current LED prices and the outright hazardous material nature of the Q-Bulbs? I'd have two choices when my light bulbs burn out, right now. I can EAT..or I can have a light bulb replaced. I CANNOT DO BOTH. Not when LED's cost what they do for anything remotely equal in lighting power per unit.

Sorry..but this is insane, and it was insane before. Government is FORCING market change because they deem it necessary by their idea of standards. This isn't capitalism, free markets or anything like it.

...and while Bush started this crap (there are reasons I have no respect for Bush either, and this counts among them) Obama COULD, if he'd chosen, STOPPED this. He's chosen not to. That makes it HIS baby to hold and claim.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

shaneslaughta
reply to post by LaElvis

Change a couple words and you'd be describing the way other things are being "banned" without being banned. Keep an item legal because outlawing isn't possible ...but make getting it or using it impossible by regulatory force. Same end result requiring a little more patience than the direct approach. Still, the job gets done, huh?

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The reason Obama does not receive my ire is because this is government-wide.

This is an encroachment. It is a financial burden on the lower wage scale.

It is an example that government does not care for anything other than the continued growth of government.

More rules, more regulations, more laws.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

shaneslaughta
reply to post by LaElvis

Change a couple words and you'd be describing the way other things are being "banned" without being banned. Keep an item legal because outlawing isn't possible ...but make getting it or using it impossible by regulatory force. Same end result requiring a little more patience than the direct approach. Still, the job gets done, huh?

As in. . . . . they won't ban guns, they'll just make it impossible to purchase bullets.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yup- change bulbs to lead and you get the ammo shortage. Just another way our government has found to get their way. While we are debating the obvious, they've quietly caused the manufacturers to have no materials in which to make the "not really banned" product.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It may be Government wide, but it wasn't that long ago that we did NOT tolerate a "It's no ones fault because it's everyone's fault" attitude for dodging responsibility. Past men to sit in his chair didn't get off so easily and I'll be darned if I let HIM off that easy.

The buck stops somewhere, and on a matter under executive control for enforcement and regulatory issues? It stops on HIS desk. No one elses. Just his. He personally chose and hired the people who are implementing this. They answer to him. They serve at his pleasure and could be dismissed for any reason or no reason at all.

Where it doesn't directly conflict or interfere with law as passed by Congress (and Congress made it clear earlier, this isn't their idea of a happy thing), it's the President's responsibility.

We're totally and complete losing sight of responsibility as even a general concept and this has been pushed again and again and again since 2009 when this man took Office. On this? Ohh..Yeah..this is his, and so is the blame for the culture always looking for ways to make it NOT his.

No previous President has ever NOT been responsible, NOT been aware, NOT known or NOT cared about a fraction of this one....and sorry my fellow bunny, I'm not giving the Executive HEAD of our Government yet another pass for what his own direct subordinates are doing in his name.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join