It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: North Korea Agree To Let U.S. Teams Look For MIA�s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   
In a rare agreement between the two nations, the United States and North Korea agreed to continue recovery missions for a tenth year in a row. The recovery mission involves teams from the United States looking for remains of servicemen from the Korean War. The U.S. teams will work in two areas of N.K. where around 2000 servicemen disappeared . There are currently 8100 U.S. service men missing from the war.

story.news.yahoo.com
BANGKOK, Thailand - U.S. and North Korean officials agreed Thursday to conduct recovery missions for remains of American servicemen missing from the Korean War for a 10th consecutive year.

The missions, in which personnel from the United States carry out search operations in the communist state, are a rare example of cooperation between the two nations, which have been at odds over North Korea's nuclear weapons program.

The plans for 2005, set in two days of talks in Bangkok led by Jerry D. Jennings, deputy assistant secretary of defense for POW/MIA affairs, call for U.S. excavation teams to work in two areas in North Korea where more than 2,000 soldiers and Marines disappeared.

The operations will take place in April-October in Unsan County, 60 miles north of the North Korean capital, Pyongyang, and near the Chosin Reservoir in the northeastern part of the country, the U.S. Defense POW/Missing Personnel Office said.

Unsan County was the site of fighting between communist forces and the U.S. Army's 1st Cavalry and 25th Infantry Divisions in November 1950.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I�m surprised that the North Koreans allow this given the secrecy that surrounds the Kim regime. If Kim were a bit more stable, I would say that this could be a building block to greater trust and cooperation, but it has not worked for the last ten years or so. If the situation was not so dire, Kim would actually be amusing. I mean that guy is right about a comic book.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Interesting... Didn't I read somewhere on here that they'd started taking down pictures of Kim in N.K? Perhaps there is a change of government there and a change of global strategy?

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by infexious
Interesting... Didn't I read somewhere on here that they'd started taking down pictures of Kim in N.K? Perhaps there is a change of government there and a change of global strategy?

That can be found here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

No I don't think Kim is going anywhere. They blame the picture thing on a U.S. Plot. If this guy did not have his finger on the button it would be amusing to say the least as he is right out of a comic book.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I wonder if there are any MIA's still alive in North Korea, you hear the odd story of a sighting of POW's in Vietnam, but not NK.
I suppose that after all this time they would have all died not seeing their homes again, that truly is a shame.
Thats one thing i like about the US policy of leaving no one behind, they should be brought home and given a decent burial.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
Thats one thing i like about the US policy of leaving no one behind, they should be brought home and given a decent burial.

I agree with you 100%. I am troubled by the persisitant rumors that many airmen were left alive esp in Vietnam after the war and by now most in all likelyhood have died. However, Rambo fils aside there are reports that several may have been taken to the Soviet Union where they remaion to this day. No proof mind you, but interesting none the less.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
I wonder if there are any MIA's still alive in North Korea, you hear the odd story of a sighting of POW's in Vietnam, but not NK.

Yes, I remember quite a few stories about MIA's being alive. Somehow they make it back to South Korea. Not American, but South Korean. The soldier I was thinking of was like, 90 years old, and had a family in North Korea. He wasn't in prison. I seem to remember he lived in a town, but I can't recall if it was a special "prisoner" town. I think he worked at a mine or something.
This is another one, but not the one I was thinking of.

South Korean POW Home After 50 years in the North

new topics

top topics

join