It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spirituality as Costume

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Spirituality as Costume

"Only in the steady and constant application of force lies the very first prerequisite for success. This persistence, however, can always and only arise from a definite spiritual conviction. Any violence which does not spring from a firm, spiritual base, will be wavering and uncertain."

"The purest idealism is unconsciously equivalent to the deepest knowledge."

Adolf Hitler – Mein Kampf

Would it be somehow sacrilegious of me to say that Hitler was highly spiritual? He concerned himself with spiritual matters and spoke the language of spirituality, evoking whole pantheons of gods and demons to paint his words. He adopted the symbol of the swastika found commonly within Hindu and Buddhist imagery. He deceived a whole country with this charismatic brand of spirituality, using seductive rhetoric, convincing his countrymen to destroy very real material things for the sake of the immaterial ideals he chased after—for the soul of “Germany”, for the “race”. Yet, we choke at the thought of calling him spiritual. Why?

It is difficult to imagine a criminal who benefits from criminal acts to be in any way spiritual; but for all we know, he is more endowed with spirit than anyone. What makes someone spiritual? Or—what makes someone more or less spiritual than I? It is likely that, either we are all spiritual, or no one is spiritual. But, perhaps this assumption isn’t true. Perhaps those that are spiritual consists entirely of those that claim themselves as spiritual, who define themselves as spiritual in front of others.

Someone’s “spirituality” is a direct reflection of, and is exactly equivalent to, how he considers spirituality, and how one acts spiritual. Spirituality is, in its essence, a display of “spirituality”, or at least a display of what one thinks spirituality entails. Ask anyone what spirituality entails and you will hear their particular interpretation of it, or what they have been led to believe it is—their brand of spirituality—and with this law now written in the mind as law, as truth, they then declare themselves “spiritual”, they act in accordance with their spirituality—a whole blend and medley of many “spiritual” teachings—and, as if they stepped on a stage, produce this act in a display of theatre. Spirituality is piety.

Case in point:

One needs only look at every single supposed guru or spiritual teacher to realize they all follow a formula. One notable attribute is the very excellent beards. The long beard has grown into a symbol of wisdom that rarely a sage is seen without one. But I have a hard time equating the beard with wisdom when it is more a sign of laziness, or better, irony—one can imagine what insights lie hidden in that bristled mess. They are always seated, because perhaps they are too spiritual to stand. But these subtle displays and submissions to imagery associated with wisdom is a sign not of wisdom itself, but that one wants to appear spiritual, one wants to be associated with “spirituality”, and therefore must adopt the markings of those who are also spiritual, so that he may convince himself, and hopefully his followers, that he is too.

Nowadays, those who consider themselves spiritual have no problem letting everyone know that they are. I count many of my friends and even myself among them. And they love to discuss spiritual matters, as if they have seen worlds a normal human cannot. Of course, they are correct—only they can see the conjuring of their own imagination—but they err and offend their art by signing it “Truth” rather than their own names. By doing so, they not only negate our spirituality, but also their own, and all spirituality with it.

The reason we feel ill at the thought of a spiritual Hitler is that his name tarnishes “spirituality”. To hear that Hitler wore the exact same costume, used it to justify his actions, thereby fouling the air around every person who also adorns this costume, doesn’t please one’s vanity as practicing “spirituality” usually does. Spirituality is a veil which defines much less than it hides. It seeks to cover up one’s desires, one’s vanity, one’s sensuality‚ for the sake of one’s desires, one’s vanity, one’s sensuality. A paradox; confusion through obfuscation; security through obscurity.

The reason we have churches is so that people can see each other pray and be enthusiastic about what they’re praying about. The acting in accordance with a particular brand of spirituality, whether shared or personal, needs to be seen, it requires judgement, it requires acknowledgement, just in case nothing else is watching.

God sees only through our eyes. For that: spirituality as costume.

Or the evil route? No spirituality at all? Is that perhaps more spiritual?

edit on 15-12-2013 by Aphorism because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

There is more substance and depth in your excellent OP than I was able to take in at a quick glance. (Besides it's after Midnight here.) But may I offer one quick observation?

There is such a thing as evil spirituality and I suspect Hitler was a devoted follower. Not all spirits are good, some are bent on our destruction. We usually think of "Spirituality" as dealing with God and angels and other positive forces. Thank you for the reminder that it is not always that way.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Is your goal on this post to call Hitler "spiritual Hitler" so that his name tarnishes “spirituality”?
Do you understand the forces hitler was describing in your quote?
Hitler was an occultist. Some say he practiced ' black' magic...

Or did Hitler have a beard and was he thought of as a wise sage?

Debunking your beard premise:
My teacher did not have a beard and all the men I know that have beards are not lazy.

What does spirituality mean to you?
Who is not spiritual under your definition?
If you say we all have different concepts, what is your concept so I can understand what you are referring to.

The body is the costume.

edit on 15-12-2013 by BDBinc because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-12-2013 by BDBinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Hitler was a master at duality manipulation to create an internal or external enemy for the group to fight. There are a lot of people who are good at this. The Abraham religions have used that duality manipulation for a long time.

But if they have had paranormal experiences and you have not then how can you know they have not experienced more than you?
edit on 15-12-2013 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   

That's one of the tough problems. Say your spirituality teaches to diminish ego: On mastering this art, you have achieved the most important thing in your life, something few others have... and guess what? You start gaining an ego about that fact: You get arrogant about how humble you are, because you believe its such an important thing to attain, and you attained.

That's why real spirituality is to tough, and so very rare.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   

tridentblue

That's one of the tough problems. Say your spirituality teaches to diminish ego: On mastering this art, you have achieved the most important thing in your life, something few others have... and guess what? You start gaining an ego about that fact: You get arrogant about how humble you are, because you believe its such an important thing to attain, and you attained.

That's why real spirituality is to tough, and so very rare.

The transformed ego that returns. That is a very good observation of the inner workings of the mind. The constant need of action of humbling the ego as long as the mind feeds the ego.

But you can always think that you gotta be a very slow soul, if you are getting now what Jesus knew 2000 years ago and Buddha before that, and their contribution did make it easier for you so you did not do the same heavy lifting as they did.

edit on 15-12-2013 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Aphorism
Would it be somehow sacrilegious of me to say that Hitler was highly spiritual?

Maybe to some but, the truth is that he used this spirituality or the semblance of spirituality quite efficiently.

I would say that every politician since Hitler has been striving to be that good.

I doubt that that is in the best interest of the common man but, it is what it is.
edit on 15-12-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Good post. Very well written and a great job in how it was presented. I especially liked the fact that it is written from the perspective of someone who is speaking about a topic of which they have "experienced" themselves first hand rather than just read about. At least that is how it seemed to me when reading it. You've obviously reflected upon your own pursuit of "spiritual answers" and have taken time to assess the company with which you keep during this pursuit. It is certainly a mixed breed isn't it.

I thought the part about the beard's was quite funny as well!!

You're probably going to get a lot of adverse comments coming your way though from some who may take what you said too personally. Don't take it too hard though. They're just very proud of their costume which they've spent so much time putting together. Hopefully your post will make some of them stop worrying about the costume they're wearing and join in on the party with the rest!!

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Fascinating and well written! Very thought provoking. I've thought about Hitler's dealings with eastern spirituality before and wondered about the path he took. I can only liken it to a man I know who has read every Carl Jung book in existence, from cover to cover, can quote it backwards, and yet he still makes the most hilarious judgements based on his own projections. Wisdom is different from knowledge and though one must start with knowledge, wisdom is not guaranteed.

Hitler could have been in this process of going from knowledge to wisdom but failed to make it. He could have been wearing spirituality for its crowd pleasing benefits, like a cultural cheerleader. He could have been well meaning in the sense of his "pure race" nonsense and really wanted a powerful future for his version of Germany but utterly failed to understand that others have feelings, family, and heaven forbid... rights. I mean it wasn't that long ago that women and non white races were not considered legally people, or even having a soul. Don't really know if anyone has a "soul" but to arrogantly state the lack of in certain classes of society was the norm at one time in history. Hitler wasn't that far out of that era.

Not letting him off the hook here, but we have the benefit of hindsight and have learnt a lot from him and his crew of what lengths people can go to if unchecked. For that reason he remains the symbolic evil dude but the real question I'd like to know is how it unravelled. His version of spirituality is important to understanding this.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Interesting post, its all about definition. For me anybody that 'has' to destroy purposely with no compassion is not spiritual but sick. They may form part of spirit but they are what I call misguided or disconnected from the spiritual reality. In this case, your example, he was rotten and happy to take people on his rotten path forcefully. To force is not a spiritual attribute that's for sure.
On the other side of the coin, humor, he didn't have a beard and his mustache was crap! Chaplins mustache was great because if was imbued with love.So sure it seems that its not about looks but rather Love and wisdom. Love and wisdom is not owned by the old or the young, but the elderly value it more consciously. So again we come to the big word CHOICE. Choose well my friends.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Aphorism

Spirituality as Costume

"Only in the steady and constant application of force lies the very first prerequisite for success. This persistence, however, can always and only arise from a definite spiritual conviction. Any violence which does not spring from a firm, spiritual base, will be wavering and uncertain."

"The purest idealism is unconsciously equivalent to the deepest knowledge."

Adolf Hitler – Mein Kampf

Would it be somehow sacrilegious of me to say that Hitler was highly spiritual? He concerned himself with spiritual matters and spoke the language of spirituality, evoking whole pantheons of gods and demons to paint his words. He adopted the symbol of the swastika found commonly within Hindu and Buddhist imagery. He deceived a whole country with this charismatic brand of spirituality, using seductive rhetoric, convincing his countrymen to destroy very real material things for the sake of the immaterial ideals he chased after—for the soul of “Germany”, for the “race”. Yet, we choke at the thought of calling him spiritual. Why?

You are calling Hitler's ideas 'spiritual' when really he was trying to start his own 'religion' - do you know the difference?

edit on 15-12-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Aphorism
Perhaps those that are spiritual consists entirely of those that claim themselves as spiritual, who define themselves as spiritual in front of others.

'Spiritual' is a concept.
Spirit cannot be defined - no lines are drawn - no boundaries.
edit on 15-12-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
If there is a formula then it is a cult.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
There is no doubt that Hitler used all the trappings of a religion in his movement. The question of whether or not he, himself, was spiritual is one that would he hard for me to answer based on my limited knowledge. I've always been meaning to pick up some books on how he came to power, but there's so much I'm interested in ...

At any rate, Hitler certainly at first used and subverted the existing Christian structure in Germany to secure his rise but behind it he had his own pagan religious structure. In a sense, he seemed to be trying to do to Christianity what it did to the old religions.

The key to me about him would be whether or not he actually believed in his new religion or not. It's the belief that defines one's spirituality. Certainly, there is good evidence that his inner circle were true believers, but was he? Or was he a cynic using them?

As far as the beard thing, I think it's part of a belief system that you grow a beard. Something about not cutting hair. I never looked at it as laziness but a thing they did the way that Orthodox Jews grow those sidelocks.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

But if they have had paranormal experiences and you have not then how can you know they have not experienced more than you?

Everyone has mystical experiences. And I don't doubt them; only they know the truth and they have to live with it.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by BDBinc

The body is the costume.

Yet when we remove your spirituality that is all of you that is left over.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by igloo

Hitler could have been in this process of going from knowledge to wisdom but failed to make it. He could have been wearing spirituality for its crowd pleasing benefits, like a cultural cheerleader. He could have been well meaning in the sense of his "pure race" nonsense and really wanted a powerful future for his version of Germany but utterly failed to understand that others have feelings, family, and heaven forbid.

He strove for immaterial goals—mere ghosts and phantoms. He wanted to kill the "Jew", not any particular Jew mind you, but his ideal "Jew", a phantom, a demon he would kill millions to destroy. One might wonder what would have occurred if he sat down and actually talked to an individual jew or gypsy and found they didn't fit within his irrational twisted ideal of the value-weakening disease-ridden intruder.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

You are calling Hitler's ideas 'spiritual' when really he was trying to start his own 'religion' - do you know the difference?

What difference? Those who call themselves spiritual blend religious teachings into their own flavour of religion. They still nonetheless submit to whatever hierarchy they place each cherry-picked platitudes within.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ancientthunder

Interesting post, its all about definition. For me anybody that 'has' to destroy purposely with no compassion is not spiritual but sick.

Absolutely. Spirituality differs between each person. A brand of spirituality is created by each practitioner, no two spiritualities alike, but they are nonetheless spliced from the same sources and, after a while, begin to sound mostly the same.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

As far as the beard thing, I think it's part of a belief system that you grow a beard. Something about not cutting hair. I never looked at it as laziness but a thing they did the way that Orthodox Jews grow those sidelocks.

Yes. Sikhism requires the growing of hair. It is an interesting superstition with purely ascetic value. It doesn't carry an practical use. I also wouldn't equate it with laziness—I couldn't know who's lazy or not just by checking their beard—but I equate it to laziness before I do wisdom. Beards definitely aren't a sign of wisdom, yet almost every self-proclaimed guru has one.
edit on 15-12-2013 by Aphorism because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join