It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shadows Or The Ventures?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The Shadows and The Ventures were both instrumental bands of the late 1950's and early 60's. Both played similar types of music. I think most British and European's would prefer the music of The Shadows, and most Americans the music of The Ventures.
Which do ATS members prefer ( if any at all) ?

I prefer The Shadows. Here is my contribution:-

edit on 14-12-2013 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
The Shadows are great, no doubt about it....but nobody does WipeOut like the Ventures! I grew up in Southern California, so I may be biased....

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Evening,

I like them both but if I am forced to pick one over the other, I say The Ventures.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

Excellent question and a tough call.

The Shadows were dirty enough and going places before they became Jehovah's Witnesses.

The Ventures were always just camp enough, particularly in the 70s.

My vote goes to The Shadows.

edit on 14-12-2013 by Whodathunkdatcheese because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-12-2013 by Whodathunkdatcheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I haven't heard too much of the Shadows but I do know they were huge in Britain. From what I remember, they were rockin'. I do love me some Ventures, though. One of the guys were from my home state.

This album is amazing. I've heard it was Keith Moon's all time favorite:

edit on 12/14/2013 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Not to derail the thread at all, but I thought I'd post this for all the far out cats and moondogs out there craving some classic fuzzed-out instrumental guitar rock:

edit on 12/14/2013 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Them's some killer guitar licks there. Ventures get my vote

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Wow..i really like both tbh but I prefer The Animals over any band from the 50s , 60s or early 70s until Pink Floyd really hit their stride.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

The Animals were pretty wicked. Along with the Zombies.
I like all of Floyd. '67 - '73 especially.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Back in the 60's I used to call up Art Bell when he was a DJ on Okinawa. I always requested Telstar by the Ventures and Snoopy and the Red Baron by the Royal Guardsmen. I never heard of the Shadows until last year.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

groingrinder

Back in the 60's I used to call up Art Bell when he was a DJ on Okinawa. I always requested Telstar by the Ventures and Snoopy and the Red Baron by the Royal Guardsmen. I never heard of the Shadows until last year.

The Ventures version of "Telstar" was a remake. The original was by British band The Tornados, produced by the legendary Joe Meek.

If you hadn't heard of The Shadows untill last year, then you have missed some fantastic music:-

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   

G,day mate. Loved the shadows. May i suggest you look up some aussies. Rob E G. Fifty five days at Peking and the Atlantics doing Bombora.
would you like to know the cricket score er maybe not. bugga i'll tell you anyway. the poms are getting done like a bloody dinner. have a good one bloke

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

pronto

G,day mate. Loved the shadows. May i suggest you look up some aussies. Rob E G. Fifty five days at Peking and the Atlantics doing Bombora.
would you like to know the cricket score er maybe not. bugga i'll tell you anyway. the poms are getting done like a bloody dinner. have a good one bloke

I got the latest cricket score, it's not looking good for us is it?
I think the plan is to let The Aussies have The Ash's back for a short time, as we are bored with having them for so long

Have a good 'un mate

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

TerryMcGuire
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Them's some killer guitar licks there. Ventures get my vote

That's version seems live and revised, it's the bass lines that catch my attention in the main, the lead guitar part is pretty atraightforward, I dare say better than the original recording. I must say though I can still listen the shadows recordings and say they are jobs well done, with a passion for a beautiful sound. It's not a contest between the shadows and the ventures, they had much the same idea with different styles, but I prefer the shadows recordings, and they were able to reproduce the sound live most of the time.

Speaking of live and recordings, here's one brilliant example of a live recording well done, exceptional in fact for the time, I would put it around 1964, (not the 1955 given) since there is a Fender jazz bass in use, a special in fact. It is Ray Charles with 'Hallelujah I love her so' the original recording has nothing on this, up tempo and with superb bass work as opposed to the original on record,

Something from the shadows to put you to sleep..or perhaps not,

edit on 15-12-2013 by smurfy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

G,day mate. have you had a chance to youtube the two aussies. i would be interested to hear your opinion. well the third test is over. ex cricketer glen mcgrath is talking of a 5 test clean sweep. time will tell. have a safe CHRISTMAS mate

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Ray, Ray Ray. I dare say, none like him before, and none since. Cat had it all. I was fortunate to be a young teen in the late fifties and pop radio was all there was so we listened to anything and everything that came down the pike and made it to radio. Ray was a cut apart from most of the rest. Another that caught my interest was Jimmy Smith with his fusion of jazz and rock on organ. Oh yes. Thanks for the Ray video.

new topics

top topics

join