It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the rich be better protected under law?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

learnatic
What may be more effective is to make it a crimmal offence punishable by automatic 5 year sentence to not report what may be an act of attempted bribary or smilar thereto.

Since the rich are more prone to abuse the law...we should up the ante...REALLY make the punishment fit the crime.
Make over a 10 million? Just to make sure he doesn't forget...double the normal sentence/fine. They're not in a position to argue.
Make over 100 million? Closet Skeleton Alert...Quadruple the normal sentence/fine. They have more to hide, so they'll quietly take it in the hopes of still having something left when they get out.
Make over 1 Billion? This cat definitely has a whole marching band worth of skeletons in HIS closet...sixteen times the normal sentence/fine...good luck making it stick.
Make over 10 Billion? This dude is probably into some "Goldmember" level crime...sixty-four times the normal sentence/fine...hope your family stays safe!
Make over 100 Billion? There's only a handful of these guys and they'd never submit to one hundred and twenty-eight times the "normal" sentence/fine. Heh..."normal"...no one at this level has ever been arrested for anything...but they have been frequently known to die from "mysterious" circumstances.
I'm totally joking when I say these things...it's just a macro-idea (as Carlin would say)...completely unrealistic and meant purely to be silly...it just made me giggle is all.

-Justice for All-
edit on 14-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

edit on 14-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Addition

edit on 14-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Alteration

edit on 14-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Addition

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

redoubt
that the system is responsble for injustice.

And thats what im getting at. Is the system injustice to allow 1 rule for one and another for someone else, be it based on wealth,gender, sexual orintation, race ect.

redoubt
Scum? Okee dokee...

The little gobs**t skilled 4 people and crippled another. If he was rich or poor he would be scum.

redoubt
if he had no money and got away the same... the excuse would be... what?

I doubt he would have got away. Did you read the case? The defence was THAT HE WAS RICH, that was his defence! Same with the other case! That not me saying that, that was the ACTUAL defence used in BOTH cases. Thats fact not opinion. Only the rich can use the that defence

redoubt
- If this guy had been poor and still got off, what then? Who or what would have been the target?

I would still have been pissed. Rich or poor. Dont matter Same law for everyone. If the defence had been "he was to poor" to know his action had consequences I would be still angery.

redoubt
- Crime is rampant across the nation and it has often little to do with wealth. Who's to blame?

A wishy washy justice system that has no clear structure or aims and is full of loop holes and double standards.

redoubt
- In the end, do we stereotype based on:
wealth?
race?
sexual orientation?
upbringing?
race/ethnicity?
regionality?
religion?
politics?

No Same law and standards for all of them. We all should be equal before the law.

redoubt
In some cases, those subject references above would be called other things than just 'stereotyping'.

Im not the one who's 'stereotyping'. It was the Judge and there the defendants lawyers that did the 'stereotyping' in both cases in my OP. Im just repeating what they said. "to rich to jail". Dont blame the messenger.

redoubt
in closing (again)...
If the system is failing, it is failing us all. Not just rich or poor or white or black or... or...

No argument there I guess.

redoubt
So, instead of targeting those who may have a few more bucks,

Im not saying people shouldnt be rich. Im just complaining that the system is not treating them equaly, a valid complaint .

redoubt
why not try and jam the door on those who are trusted to provide justice for ALL?

I agree the judges in both cases should be JAILED.

redoubt
Why not focus on the system that makes someone different based on something as shallow as how much money they have?

I agree loop holes need to eb closed and mandatory sentanceing needs implimenting.

As for "trickle up" well in the justice system there should be tricke both ways. Capitlism/Socilism or what ever has no place in criminal court.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I believe in God.
The money you have is worthless to God, in determining your value.
The money you have, is therefore worthless to me, in determining your value.
Material wealth is a worthless measure of a person's real worth. There are good and bad in all socio-economic strata.

I've met mentally handicapped people that taught me more good about life in 8 hours than certain teachers could teach me in a lifetime. The value you give someone depends on what you take of whatever it is they give to you. Someone poor and on the streets could give you more to enrich your life, with just a short conversation, than all the rich men on wall street, but it depends on what you value. Richness does not necessarily equal wisdom, although the two aren't mutually exclusive. People value different things for different reasons, which is why changing the value of sentencing/punishment cannot be left to arbitrary standards like wealth, or wisdom, or looks.

Maybe smarter people should get a break? After all, they invent cool gadgets and stuff! Or the beautiful.
I mean c'mon, the world really is a prettier place with Lindsay Lohan in it (not sure I even spelled her name right).
Recently, Rolling Stone featured the Boston Bomber on the cover, and talked of squealing little girls who would never believe he did it because he was oh so cute. I'm sure his lawyers would like to get them all on his jury. So in the court of public opinion, money, looks,power, yeah, it's the in thing.

In courts? No way. Justice is supposed to be blind. A judge making excuses for some poor little snot-nosed drunk punk that showed zero remorse for his victims needs to be tossed. Lock up the parents who bred him into such a worthless creature too. They are idiots. If you raise your kids to have zero remorse when they kill people, by accident or on purpose, then you deserve to be punished for it too, as you've abrogated your repsonsibilities as someone who chose to create a life.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Elite globalist, satanist Kissinger has said:

twoday.net...

129."It's terrible to have to say this. World population must be stabilized and to do that we must eliminate 350,000 people per day" Jacques-Yves Cousteau, oceanographer and humanist, The UNESCO Courier, Nov. 1991, page 13

130."The commitment of government to deal with the population issue is of course essential...There are many ways to make the death rate Increase." Robert McNamara, Secretary of Defense, New Solidarity, March 30, 1981

131.The First and Second World Wars were wars designed to kill millions were not successful enough hence the new methods outlined in the Global 2000 Report...The world is populated with too many redundant people who must not be allowed to procreate and consume scarce natural resources...The Committee of 300 (Illuminati) commissioned Cyrus Vance to write a paper on this subject of how to bring about such genocide. The paper was produced under the title 'Global 2000 Report' and was accepted and approved for action by former President James Earl Carter, and Edwin Muskie, then Secretary of States, for and on behalf of the US Government." Dr. John Coleman, former intelligence agent of British MI6, from his report, Global 2000: A Blueprint For Global Genocide, written in 1992 concerning the depopulation agenda of the Club of Rome

132."Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign policy." Henry Kissinger, quoted by Bob Woodward in The Final Days, 1976

133."The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissinger

134."The Brady Bill's only effect will be to desensitize the public to regulation of weapons in preparation for their ultimate confiscation." Charles Krauthammer, Washington Post, April 5, 1996

135."The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject race to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjects to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing."Adolph Hitler, Chancellor of Germany 1933-1945

136."God bless the America we are trying to create." Hillary Clinton, former first lady

137. "Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear - kept us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor - with the cry of grave national emergency. Always there has been some terrible evil at home or some monstrous foreign power that was going to gobble us up if we did not blindly rally behind it..." General Douglas MacArthur, 1957

138."The interests behind the Bush Administration, such as the CFR, the Bilderberger Group, and the Trilateral Commission - founded by Brzezinski for David Rockefeller - have prepared for and are now moving to implement open world dictatorship within the next five years. They are not fighting against terrorists. They are fighting against citizens." Dr. Johannes B. Koeppl, PhD, former German defense ministry official and advisor to former NATO Secretary-General Manfred Werner, November 6, 2001

Aren't the elite sweet . . . for the children . . . of course . . . to make sure there's enough toddler boys to bugger and babies to dine on.

What demonized pieces of human garbage.

Thankfully, the garbage truck will be along at the literal Armageddon. Sadly . . . after half the global population has been exterminated by their evil goals and strategies.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I think a number of your points warrant emphasis:

Gozer
I believe in God.

Sane, perceptive, informed, thoughtful, discerning, bright folks do.

The money you have is worthless to God, in determining your value.

INDEED. And is likely an idol preventing a genuine relationship with God for millions.

The money you have, is therefore worthless to me, in determining your value.
Material wealth is a worthless measure of a person's real worth. There are good and bad in all socio-economic strata.

ABSOLUTELY INDEED. And, personally, I'd trust myself to the poor I've met across 3 continents before I would trust myself to the average wealthy person.

I've met mentally handicapped people that taught me more good about life in 8 hours than certain teachers could teach me in a lifetime.

ABSOLUTELY INDEED. I've experienced the same thing multiple times.

The value you give someone depends on what you take of whatever it is they give to you. Someone poor and on the streets could give you more to enrich your life, with just a short conversation, than all the rich men on wall street, but it depends on what you value.

ABSOLUTELY INDEED. And their heart, their relationship wisdom can be worth growthful applying and pondering for years afterwards.

Richness does not necessarily equal wisdom, although the two aren't mutually exclusive. People value different things for different reasons, which is why changing the value of sentencing/punishment cannot be left to arbitrary standards like wealth, or wisdom, or looks.

INDEED. Perverted judgment, corruption, preferential treatment based on corrupt values are all a stench to God.

. . .
In courts? No way. Justice is supposed to be blind. A judge making excuses for some poor little snot-nosed drunk punk that showed zero remorse for his victims needs to be tossed. Lock up the parents who bred him into such a worthless creature too. They are idiots. If you raise your kids to have zero remorse when they kill people, by accident or on purpose, then you deserve to be punished for it too, as you've abrogated your responsibilities as someone who chose to create a life.

Certainly there needs to be some accountability for parenting so poorly. But how to implement that and where to start is super problematic. And I'd hate to see the State even more involved in shredding the family.

Sigh.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join