It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do I kill National Geo's account nag screens??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Okay, I'm at wits end on this issue. I need help if anyone has suggestions. National Geographic has gone to a nag-ware and really, a pretty scummy one at that, to try and force membership for merely viewing their home page, let alone anything else.

Sometimes this nag box appears and sometimes it doesn't. Once in a GREAT while, it even has a way to close it without being forced into their chute to account creation.

Well, I'll never...in this life...sign up to a site, however much I like their content, that figures they can FORCE that through pure harassment.

So, how can I close that when they figure showing a close X would be too much trouble? Reloading the page reloads the box. Going to another Nat-Geo page usually brings the box with it on the reload.

I don't want to blacklist Nat Geo off my research sources and sites I'm willing to publicly source on material and direct traffic back at Again though, harassment to force manipulated compliance is such a sore point for me, the quality of their content is the only reason I've not scratched them permanently, already.

Help?

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
By the way, this isn't a Pop-Up dialogue box or conventional browser window popup if people haven't had this pop for them yet. It's a scripted window produced by the page, as they've come to develop to push ads past the tech that blocks it.

So... aside from discussion of 3rd party means to block popups being a T&C issue, it's by no means a solution here anyway. The tech producing this type of "pop-in" box is unphased, to my knowledge.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Hmm, no takers yet? I was going to pass as well as I don't have a definite cause/resolution for you but I'll toss a couple things out.

First determine the cause of the signup box, script most likely or a script/cookie combo. Maybe No-script plugin will help and it can be tailored for only that site I believe.

If not that try a process viewer and see what's being and doing the launch of the popup, still think it's some kind of script though.

That's all I got.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Hmmm... I was hoping someone else would have already worked the solution to defeating these, since the basic tech has been around awhile for these boxes and it's often being used in even more obnoxious ways than this example.

Shoot... One of my web design programs will make this same thing for pages. I suppose I'll just fire that up and start running things against a little sample I make until one works.

Nat Geo just has so much quality content, and it's not a free account I even object to. I have plenty all over the net for access to one thing or another. It's the in your face force of it..which honestly, is probably just one or more brainless "whizz kids" in their design group who thought this brainfart was a brilliant idea or something. It's a shame it had to be done over top of such a useful resource.
edit on 14-12-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Depending on your browser of choice you can make an extension that would just stop the "nagboxes" from happening. If you use google chrome I can make you one but I am pretty limited on time.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by rockn82

I appreciate the suggestion and that's just what I needed, actually. Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to see about making one for myself on that. I hadn't even thought about going that route, but that makes sense for a specific problem.

Thanks!

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
You could use "adblock+ element hider" I have it for chromium, not sure if there's a firefox version
You could use it to get rid of the overlays, but the site also adds a "overflow:hidden" style to the body element which hides the scroll bars and prevents you from scrolling, that could easily be fixed with a few lines of _javascript using userscripts(chromium) or greasemonkey(firefox)

EDIT:

I went ahead and made a script to remove it, it removes the overlays and fixes the scroll bars, I only tested it on chromium but it should work with greasemonkey aswell.

Use it if you like, or don't, it's up to you.
You can install it a view the code from here:
userscripts.org...

Apparently ATS doesn't like that url for some reason, so just goto my userscripts user page and just click "NatGeo No Signup Nag"
userscripts.org...

edit on 16/12/13 by Kr0nZ because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join