It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War on Terrorism really the last grab before collapse?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   
We live in a dream. Without realizing it most Americans do not realize that their lifestyle is unsustainable. Our economy and daily life is built on oil. Is the war on terrorism really the last grab for the few remaining energy resources?

It is unrealistic to believe that we can maintain our current way of life much longer.

Even now, you can sense that change is coming.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Well our economy will shift in the next 10 years, it has been underway since the 80's, the transistion from oil will occur and only an economy of our size can absorb these costs.....not saying your wrong, but I do not really see it as a threat...yet.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
The transition from oil will be replaced by what exactly? Even to nuclear power for energy will not make up for what oil provides in our every day life.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 12:34 AM
link   
If you take a Machiavellian view, you might think of it as the magician distracting you with his left hand while robbing you with his right.

Or you could just see it as insanity in the driver's seat with sensibility and logic bound and gagged in the trunk.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I can imagine the future being people driving around on horsecarts while talking on their cell phones.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Everyone become Amish now!

They don't seem to have a problem with it. I've actually had this Amish guy ask me where a cellphone place was!

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I heard on Coast to Coast AM last night that one of the oil companies
is opening the first Hydrogen fueling station somewhere in California
soon While I found this very cool vrom an environmental stand point
I also thought here comes the next big grab this is the coming technology
that will replace oil and still be owned by the same people.

We all complain when these giant conglomerants aren't the inovators of
newer cleaner technologies but the fact is that they don't have to be,
they have enough money that should someone come up with better
technology they just wait for a the bugs to get worked out and then change
the techonolgy slightly then create a standard that the smaller companies
can afford to comply with put them out of business, and then wallah they own
the market again. To the top of the Heap Gentlemen

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The problem with transfering from oil to an alternative energy source is twofold.
Firstly, we will be without the petrochemicals and other synthetic materials derived from oil.

Secondly, and with far more severe concequences, none of the current alternatives, even combined, can provide the same amount of energy as oil. Even a small shortfall in energy would be utterly disastrous for the global economy. And if you consider that energy demands are constanly rising, and now accelerating with the industrialisation of China and other developing countries, you can see why there is so much concern about the production of oil reaching a peak and then declining.

The title of the thread is quite plausable. Like other animals, we fight over the scraps when starving, not plentiful bounties that can happily support all.

top topics

join