It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Earth was warmer in Roman, Medieval times

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by CJCrawley

well, the ancient Britons did cover themselves in woad, a plant extract that made the skin blue! Also, so I believe, did not smell very nice.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

The study, by scientist Leif Kullman, analyzed 455 “radiocarbon-dated mega-fossils” in the Scandes mountains ...

The Scandinavian Mountains or the Scandes are a mountain range that runs through the Scandinavian Peninsula.

Erm. You're kidding, right? ...Maybe these mountains are the whole world to the resident dwarfs, but I'm a Hobbit from Middle Earth and I don't buy it.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

This is an interesting theory.
But then again the greenhouse gasses also have other ill effects

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

CJCrawley
I already knew about the MWP, but I wasn't aware it was warmer during the Roman Empire period too.

Thinking about it, there are clues if you look for them.

I was astonished when I discovered that ancient Britons used to fight naked.

If that were to happen now, they'd die of exposure long before the enemy got to them...

Yes because they wore nothing 24/7, their fights took days to complete, they fought their enemies every day of every month of every year, and never bothered to put on some cloths if the weather by some rare event turned bad... come now, use some brain power, they used to fight their battles naked, but now think just how often that happened and how long such an event actually lasted, so really fighting naked means nothing... not like they left the village naked, trod 3 days to the enemy then lay siege to the enemys holdings.

What I just dont understand is, even if GW is a natural cycle, so many people here seem to think or act likes its an excuse to keep on doing what we do rather than make ethical and efficient changes to our production systems... oh but they are taxing us because of this! god smite those gubbermenters and liberals and republicans and greenies!... but isnt taxing or finding new taxes what these institutions always do, if it wasnt GW related it would be some other thing.

What if we are on the verge of one of these rises, or currently in the middle of one, thing is what on earth is our far far far higher level of global pollution and emissions (compared to the Romans and the rest of the world at that time, higher than any time during mans past) going to do when added to the peak of one of these rises?.. isnt that a concern, regardless if its natural or man made? We WILL have an added effect to this, and it wont be good. We have to act now, regardless of what some people are going to take advantage of in the mean time... but no, people are more interested in political attacks and taxes.

Natural systems can repair themselves easily, but alot of them also have a very thin margin or tipping point, go even a sliver over that and it collapses completely and cant fully repair itself back to what it used to be. Nature, like every rubber band has a snapping point, thing is we havent a clue how far we can pull it, and personally pulling the band to its fullest is pretty disgusting for us as a species... I personally want to live in a world where we didnt live in a polluted mess, even if we didnt have a chance to send the world into an ecological apocalypse.
edit on 14-12-2013 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I am surprised this was ever in doubt. We know simply by the fact that different fruit trees and other foods were planted during those times and grapes especially were also planted in the UK and they all thrived, so the weather had to be considerably warmer then than it is today.

Nice to have the scientists confirm it though..

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

ketsuko
It seems silly to me that the very same people who push evolution so hard that they take it to religious levels sometimes will also turn around and seem to religiously try to halt all climate change.

What very same people?

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

alienscot1
reply to post by jdub297

Great info here, I am amazed that so many people are not aware that what we are being told about global warming is incorrect. So much information like this is coming out. Science is all about theory and testing those theories to come to informed results, but those can all be flawed if people blindly follow one strain of thought. Good post

Climate change is not incorrect.

What worries me is how many people take specific studies and then base that for their entire argument.

The same sort of people who say "It's really cold outside. So much for global warming hyuk hyuk." and simply do not understand the mechanics of it all..

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

BigfootNZ
What I just dont understand is, even if GW is a natural cycle, so many people here seem to think or act likes its an excuse to keep on doing what we do rather than make ethical and efficient changes to our production systems...

GOOD GOD SOMEONE ELSE GETS IT !!!

Are you real? *touches monitor* I can't feel anything... probably an hallucination caused by this 41c heat..

it's so frustrating reading the same things over and over about people mocking the issues presented (wether they be for or against) and guffawing pompously at the facts. A bit like saying a natural herb is good for you, so take loads of it. Natural things do not always equate with healthy.

So it might be natural that the earth has massive changes in climate.

We'd better find something to grab onto... it's not as if she's going to say "Oh I'll be gentle for the humans. They're been so nice to me over the years.."

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

What I just dont understand is, even if GW is a natural cycle, so many people here seem to think or act likes its an excuse to keep on doing what we do rather than make ethical and efficient changes to our production systems... [/quote[

The "Kuznets Curve" takes your concerns into consideration.

What we know, is that as societies progress and modernize, the y become more efficient and "eco-centric."

The most primitive, wood and dung-burning societies are causing the greatest harm.

Development helps us, it does not doom us.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join