It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Earth was warmer in Roman, Medieval times

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

A Swedish study found that the planet was warmer in ancient Roman times and the Middle Ages than today, challenging the mainstream idea that man-made greenhouse gas emissions are the main drivers of global warming.

The study, by scientist Leif Kullman, ... found that tree lines for different species of trees were higher during the Roman and Medieval times than they are today. Not only that, but the temperatures were higher as well.

Kullman also wrote that “summer temperatures during the early Holocene thermal optimum may have been 2.3°C higher than present.”

According to Kullman, the temperature spikes were during the Roman and Medieval warming periods.

Study: Earth was warmer in Roman, Medieval times

Of course, the study published in October was never given coverage by the MSM, the IPCC or the AGW warmist alliance faithful.

Kullman's peer-reviewed article was published in the Nordic Journal of Botany online pending the release of a forthcoming paper edition of the Journal. Since its findings refute the catastrophic predictions of what a warmer climate would be like in reality, it has been largely ignored until now.

With the breaking story and upcoming edition, Kuullman's observations should become the subject of much more discussion, and derision from the AGW priests and proselytizers of the CAGW orthodoxy.

This study follows closely on other recent "revelations" of the obvious: the warming has paused despite explosive growth in GHG emissions, the lack of ocean inundation and decreased rates of rise in sea levels, the lack of a connection between extreme weather events and AGW climate "modeling," and the extraordinary cold gripping the Earth ahead of the winter solstice.

Some of us have likely heard that the coldest temperatures ever recorded on the planet were detected by recent satellite observations (despite warmist assertions that the greatest effects of AGW would be seen at the poles).
Most of the world is probably unaware that similar satellite measurements have revealed the our oceans are not rising as fast as the fear-mongers want them to believe.

Swedish climate scientist Lennart Benggston has completed and published his analysis of 20 years' worth of satellite measurements of ocean levels around the globe. Amazingly, and of course un-reportedly, he has found that the measurements reveal that rising sea levels have NOT accelerated, as claimed by the IPCC and other AGW advocates/alarmists. Rather, they have followed the same trend since the end of the last ice age, taking tectonic movement and "rebound" into account as lad springs-back after being compressed under ice.

It should be abundantly clear by now that the bogus alarmist warnings and failed "projections" prove that their underlying hypotheses are flawed and skewed by political and economic interests, rather than true "climate science," which relies upon observation, measurement and empirical data instead of tailored "models" and "adjusted" proxies that serve only to confirm the advocates biases and greed.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

This story is so july 2012

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Old news.

But it's good to hear that people are actually doing more science on the agw thing.
edit on 14-12-2013 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

This was already known, at the time of the renaissance the world was much warmer, hence the booming farming and resulting boom in economies that allowed the renaissance to happen.

The world has cycled between hot and cold for billions of years. Hence "climate change" is a natural phenomenon.
Trying to blame humans for the sole reason to "TAX" them is disgusting.
The only people being taxed should be the corporations that are raping the world of everything that sustains us for profit.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Most scientists knew that anyway.

The MWP is usually cut out from graphs and that's the reason they mostly start at
1880 as the little ice age was ending then.

Experiment Earth?

If they showed all the information rather than cherry pick then the environmental scientists
would be less open to clams on fixing results.

We just need to value nature not put a value on it.
edit on 14/12/2013 by skuly because: spelling again

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I blame liberals for the ill effects of any (if any ) greenhouse gasses on our environment today due to over regulating businesses with a heavy hand resulting in their flight to china where they pollute 10 times as much than they would have under reasonable regulations here in the us. We are under the same roof as countries such as china so in affect we are trying to protect one room of the house by not lighting candles while the kids are playing with matches and gas in the room next to us.
edit on 14-12-2013 by Shaiker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Climate changes. It's what it does. It's one of the prime drives of evolutionary pressure.

It has been both much warmer and much colder and there has been much more CO2 in the atmosphere during one of those cooler periods, too.

It seems silly to me that the very same people who push evolution so hard that they take it to religious levels sometimes will also turn around and seem to religiously try to halt all climate change.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Shaiker
I blame liberals for the ill effects of any (if any ) greenhouse gasses on our environment today due to over regulating businesses with a heavy hand resulting in their flight to china where they pollute 10 times as much than they would have under reasonable regulations here in the us. We are under the same roof as countries such as china so in affect we are trying to protect one room of the house by not lighting candles while the kids are playing with matches and gas in the room next to us.
edit on 14-12-2013 by Shaiker because: (no reason given)

Personally I blame the corporations that run to countries where they "can" pollute without comebacks for an increased profit margin. Not necessarily the "liberals" that point out their crimes.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I already knew about the MWP, but I wasn't aware it was warmer during the Roman Empire period too.

Thinking about it, there are clues if you look for them.

I was astonished when I discovered that ancient Britons used to fight naked.

If that were to happen now, they'd die of exposure long before the enemy got to them...

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

Corporations are businesses in it to make a profit. If a higher profit can be made in legal ways as a share holder I would expect them to do so else the competing corporation will take market share. Drive by any Walmart in america today and the majority of them will be filled with shoppers whom are greed driven much like corporations. Congress is greed driven else corporations would not have the flexibility of producing good elsewhere while marketing here.

Greed in the world is possessed in the majority of humanity its what drives innovation. Everything you do today 'unless your off the grid' is empowered by corporations one way or the other. Perhaps the biggest corporation of the world is our country and we as shareholder continue to elect ' if you want to think its not fixed' our ceo and board members despite their inept ability to provide stability for the country.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

CJCrawley
I already knew about the MWP, but I wasn't aware it was warmer during the Roman Empire period too.

Thinking about it, there are clues if you look for them.

I was astonished when I discovered that ancient Britons used to fight naked.

If that were to happen now, they'd die of exposure long before the enemy got to them...

They also grew wine in Britian, and why else would they have named it Greenland if parts of it weren't green enough and fertile enough to support farming and colonization by the Vikings.

I remember reading an article about how some ice there melted and uncovered a mine complete with tools that had obviously been frozen suddenly and not been uncovered since those days.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I blame governance systems that don't care.

China obviously doesn't care, but hey! everyone says we should be more like them governmentally.

In China, the state is the corporation is the state. One day, you could be a high level businessman and ride to work in a limo; the next, you could be disgraced and wind up executed for failing the state/corporation. Yes, my husband worked with people who came from there, and those are the stories they told.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Archaeologists have known this for 60 or 70 years. It's hardly breaking alternative news.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Shaiker

Corporations are businesses in it to make a profit. If a higher profit can be made in legal ways as a share holder I would expect them to do so else the competing corporation will take market share. Drive by any Walmart in america today and the majority of them will be filled with shoppers whom are greed driven much like corporations. Congress is greed driven else corporations would not have the flexibility of producing good elsewhere while marketing here.

Greed in the world is possessed in the majority of humanity its what drives innovation. Everything you do today 'unless your off the grid' is empowered by corporations one way or the other. Perhaps the biggest corporation of the world is our country and we as shareholder continue to elect ' if you want to think its not fixed' our ceo and board members despite their inept ability to provide stability for the country.

I think the biggest corporation in the world is SERCO.
Look it up. Its scary and shocking. They are certainly not a household name.
They have their fingers on the British nuclear arsenal. They run prisons, hospitals, logistics and so much more.
As for "legally" profiteering, they are not limited to "Legalities" or morality in their quest for ever more profit.
The whole capitalist system is the glorification of greed, where money is God.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

ketsuko

I blame governance systems that don't care.

China obviously doesn't care, but hey! everyone says we should be more like them governmentally.

In China, the state is the corporation is the state. One day, you could be a high level businessman and ride to work in a limo; the next, you could be disgraced and wind up executed for failing the state/corporation. Yes, my husband worked with people who came from there, and those are the stories they told.

Sounds like North Korea.
Especially with the execution of Kim Jong Un's "uncle".
Capitalism = evil
Communism = evil
Capitalism + Communism = Pure Evil.
We are doomed, doomed I say.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

What we have today is not exactly capitalism.

Capitalism is when I have a bunch of tomato plants and grow too many tomatoes, so I decide to sell the extra to people who would like to have them. Then, I have the money to go buy eggs from the guy down the way who has hens who lay more eggs than he can eat, so he sells them to buy milk from the guy with the cows ... etc.

It's a free exchange of goods and services between people. It's not evil.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

ketsuko

What we have today is not exactly capitalism.

Capitalism is when I have a bunch of tomato plants and grow too many tomatoes, so I decide to sell the extra to people who would like to have them. Then, I have the money to go buy eggs from the guy down the way who has hens who lay more eggs than he can eat, so he sells them to buy milk from the guy with the cows ... etc.

It's a free exchange of goods and services between people. It's not evil.

No, thats trade. Existed long before money.

Capitalism is the reliance on ever increasing profits that is unsustainable in any long term way.
It is the destruction of rain forests for industrial farming, its the dumping of waste into the sea because its cheaper, its the exploitation of the poor to expand the wealth and power of the rich.
Of course this is just my opinion.
Capitalism = "justifiable" greed.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

OneManArmy
reply to post by jdub297

This was already known, at the time of the renaissance the world was much warmer, hence the booming farming and resulting boom in economies that allowed the renaissance to happen.

Even so, AGW profiteers, including Michael Mann, continue to "deny" there was a Medieval Warm Period.
Just look at the "Hockey Stick," and you can see their "proof."

jw

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Great info here, I am amazed that so many people are not aware that what we are being told about global warming is incorrect. So much information like this is coming out. Science is all about theory and testing those theories to come to informed results, but those can all be flawed if people blindly follow one strain of thought. Good post

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

grey580
reply to post by jdub297

This story is so july 2012

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Old news.

But it's good to hear that people are actually doing more science on the agw thing.
edit on 14-12-2013 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

You should look back to some of my posts from 2009 and 2010 when I got into vigorous debates about cyclical warming, including the MWP and Holocene Thermal Optimum, and eras going back over millions of years. There are still many warmist alarmists who will not concede the fact that there were periods long before man that were much hotter, as well as periods of higher CO2 that were colder.

I intend to continue poking hoes in their denialism.

jw

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

jdub297

Of course, the study published in October was never given coverage by the MSM, the IPCC or the AGW warmist alliance faithful.

Yes it was it just wasn't headline news because it did not prove what you are claiming, here's an explanation:
www.livescience.com...

Kullman's peer-reviewed article was published in the Nordic Journal of Botany online pending the release of a forthcoming paper edition of the Journal. Since its findings refute the catastrophic predictions of what a warmer climate would be like in reality, it has been largely ignored until now.

Yet another assertion, presumably if you say it enough times you start to believe it....oops yes you are already there.

With the breaking story and upcoming edition, Kuullman's observations should become the subject of much more discussion, and derision from the AGW priests and proselytizers of the CAGW orthodoxy.

And yet more.......(who is proselytising now....)

This study follows closely on other recent "revelations" of the obvious: the warming has paused despite explosive growth in GHG emissions, the lack of ocean inundation and decreased rates of rise in sea levels, the lack of a connection between extreme weather events and AGW climate "modeling," and the extraordinary cold gripping the Earth ahead of the winter solstice.

And yet another wrong assumption. Did you know that 96% of the heat is absorbed by the oceans and that only 2% heats the atmosphere. That means , that the slightest change in oceanic heat absorption and the atmosphere could warm quite significantly. Oceanic heat absorption has now been added to the models.....and does not make nice reading. Buy hey , carry on and ignore this research since it contradicts your assertion.

What cold gripping the Earth ahead of the winter solstice? It's freaking warm here. I put up the Xmas lights dressed in my shirt sleeves. You are showing an astonishing level of ignorance about the influence of the jet stream on localised weather.

Some of us have likely heard that the coldest temperatures ever recorded on the planet were detected by recent satellite observations (despite warmist assertions that the greatest effects of AGW would be seen at the poles).
Most of the world is probably unaware that similar satellite measurements have revealed the our oceans are not rising as fast as the fear-mongers want them to believe.

Well that's a jaw dropper. One single point at the coldest part of the earth proves global warming is not occurring. With that kind of ignorance make no wonder you come to the wrong conclusions....sheesh, words fail me.....

Swedish climate scientist Lennart Benggston has completed and published his analysis of 20 years' worth of satellite measurements of ocean levels around the globe. Amazingly, and of course un-reportedly, he has found that the measurements reveal that rising sea levels have NOT accelerated, as claimed by the IPCC and other AGW advocates/alarmists. Rather, they have followed the same trend since the end of the last ice age, taking tectonic movement and "rebound" into account as lad springs-back after being compressed under ice.

It should be abundantly clear by now that the bogus alarmist warnings and failed "projections" prove that their underlying hypotheses are flawed and skewed by political and economic interests, rather than true "climate science," which relies upon observation, measurement and empirical data instead of tailored "models" and "adjusted" proxies that serve only to confirm the advocates biases and greed.

Yet another expression of ignorance about the scientific process. Your create a model, which gives an output, you test it, you measure things, you match them to the models and asses why there is a difference. You do more testing, more measuring and take account of ever more systems (e.g deep sea heat absorption) and add that to the model. and so on and so on. The model gets ever better based on observation, measurement and empirical data. This is why the models change they are getting better. But here's the killer not one model has ever resulted in a cooling they all predict ever increasing warming and this is with ever more data and ever more sub systems added to the models.

Have you noticed that todays weather forecasts are significantly better than the ones 10 years ago? Guess what !!!!!!! they use models to predict the weather. Here's a real killer, the climate models and the weather models often run side by side because they are both developed within the same organisation e.g. the metoffice here in the UK.
edit on 14/12/2013 by yorkshirelad because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join