It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China lands Jade Rabbit robot rover on Moon

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

eNaR
reply to post by mirageman

Spoiler: All Your Base Are Belong to Us [Not US]

I know as I had already pointed out previously ...

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

scotsdavy1
reply to post by Wolfenz

Saw on the news today about their rover starting to explore.
Chinese scientist said they had to make new optics for the cameras due to the temperature variations on the moon.
It has infra red plus many more different ones fitted to it.
Will be interesting to see what they discover there.

still as it Look NO HD Quality ? hmm wonder why the Temperature may be a problem but i can say Ive seen Apollo missions on the Moon from those Classified cameras from stills to film ! that are Crystal Clear like Hi Def .. no Grainy Potato Camera from these Classified Cameras tho The Government Shows the Dilute Version of the Stills and DIFFERENT VIDEOS ( Film ) From what ive have seen ... IT IS CLAIMED The Films Came from a Japanese Site !! and NASA usually give the carbon copy's Duplicate to Japan for safe Keeping from what ive been told.. and was told about the lost films of apollo missions that japan has them .. I tend to believe that NASA duplicate everything.. and send their copy's to puppet country's like Japan ..

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

What is the temperature on the Moon? The temperature on the Moon varies from -387 Fahrenheit (-233 Celsius), at night, to 253 Fahrenheit (123 Celsius) during the day. Because the Moon has no atmosphere to block some of the Sun's rays or to help trap heat at night, its temperature varies greatly between day and night.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The big debate for me is this:

Chinese pictures of the moon show a different colour to the Apollo.

Of course there are different types of cameras and settings they are using.

But why would "Scientists" want to take pictures knowing they wouldn't be showing true colours?

Also, if they claim to be true colour, who is lying?

NASA or China? or Both?

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by brace22

Most probably it is not the scientists using the camera at the moment, but the engineers who want to have the most contrast in what they see, so that they can control the rover.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

crazyewok

ipsedixit
Congratulations to China.

Wouldn't it be nice if this just became all about science and not just an expansion of unhealthy competition into another arena? If only . . .

Its that hippy crap thats holding us back.

We need to expand and exploit the solar system.

If one day we are going to have colonies on the moon and mars and help solve our resource and popukation problems we need competition and a strong drive.

I don't think that's the intention of landing a rover on the moon but rather - control.

That is, "he who controls the moon controls the earth" - sadly.

Whoever can establish a moon base can pretty much control all communications.

This is just the first step...

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

brace22
But why would "Scientists" want to take pictures knowing they wouldn't be showing true colours?

For geological reasons.
They're scientists remember.

Because different types of rocks reflect differently at differnt wavelengths, false color images give geologists back on earth some information that would not be available if all photos were taken in "true color".

A google search given a bazillion pages on the topic, but here's one random link to do with Mars.
Its full of phrases like:

The rocks are less red and have less of a bend in the spectrum at visible wavelengths, indicating less ferric minerals and a more unweathered composition than drift. The intermediate colored soils appear intermediate in the spectral properties as well. The dark red soil at Lamb is darker than drift by about equally as red; the curvature of sppectrum at visible wavelengths indicates either more ferric minerals or a larger particle size.

and

The strength of the bend, or "kink", in the spectrum is related to the abundance and particle size of specific crustalline, ferric weathering products. In the false color image, the blue areas have a weak kink and are relatively unweathered, whereas the red areas' strong kink indicates an abundance of ferric iron minerals.

Conspiracy theorists dont like it though.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

and China does Everything For A reason

Um...doesn't everyone in the world do that???

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

I await the the outcome with fingers crossed
But going on the past actions of china concerning public openness i doubt we will get more than the gray typical reports from a goverment who do things such as the chinese internet restrictions with there the Great Firewall and golden sheild etc For poeple to think they will be forthcoming with more info than the other nations who have wore these shoes before..so to speak is hard for me to swallow

Indisputable

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
*meanwhile on the Moon*

Chang'e-3 lander (image taken by the Yutu rover)

Vice versa

And a nice hq video of Chang'e-3 landing

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

scotsdavy1

alfa1

scotsdavy1
will see if they pick up the stars from the moon as well....

Why would you expect the cameras to pick up stars if the exposure is set for viewing the surface?

Is it because being "in space" somehow magically changes the laws of optics?

Was just a thought, you don't need to be so sarcastic

I've noticed a rising in this on ATS with a lot of members.. it's like they pick out a statement and to try to go out of their way to sound smarter than someone who is just expressing their thoughts on a topic.. it's actually quite rude and pathetic since this IS a discussion.

On topic, It will be very interesting to compare photo's from the U.S. and see if there are any inconsistancies..

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

Thanks for those images.

So far, the Moon in images taken by the Jade Rabbit looks similar to the Moon in images taken by the Apollo astronauts (which is not surprising).

edit on 12/15/2013 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Pfft. Land on the "dark side" of the moon, already! And show us all the alien bases!

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Now for something really conspiracy worthy ... I don't have the time to check for references but I'm pretty sure they landed in the same bay that the USSR choosed to land their rovers in the 70's. Why? The moon isn't that small ...

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by 2timesOO

Interesting theory, maybe a member here can provide the answer plus link to it?

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Lunokhod 1 landed in the "sea of rains" where the rainbow bay is (and I'm pretty sure it landed in the rainbow bay).

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

2timesOO

Now for something really conspiracy worthy ... I don't have the time to check for references but I'm pretty sure they landed in the same bay that the USSR choosed to land their rovers in the 70's. Why? The moon isn't that small ...

The various landing locations for Moon exploration over the years has been in various places.

The landing location of Chang'e 3 and the "Jade Rabbit" rover is in the general location (in Mare Imbrium) of the first Russian Moon rover (Luna 17/Lunakhod 1), but is NOT near the second Russian Moon rover (Luna 21/Lunakhod 2), which landed in Mare Serenitatis:

Image Source

edit on 12/15/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I read somewhere that they want to weaponize it. Probably searching to see if the best area is a good spot to plant it..

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

This page has the most info I have found on the instruments, including the cameras. Seems like those images are just from a fairly normal camera, but details are not given. They are automatic exposure settings.
The Astronomy telescope is in near UV and UV (no visible light capability)
And an imaging spectrograph.

Chang'e 3 - Mission Overview
www.spaceflight101.com...

My first impression is that it seems quite dark up there, even though they should be in full, though low angle, sunlight. That image showing the brown/red surface also displays brightness fall-off away from the central, better lit area, so I think they were using supplemental lighting.

edit on 15-12-2013 by GaryN because: sp.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

scotsdavy1
reply to post by alfa1

"What does the old Moon look like from 60 miles?" "Essentially gray; no color" -Jim Lovell, Apollo 8 ( history.nasa.gov... )
"Like plaster of paris or a sort of grayish beach sand."
i29.tinypic.com...
( upload.wikimedia.org... (upload.wikimedia.org...) )

Pertaining to the color of the moon as viewed from the surface, Jim Irwin wrote an article August 30, 1971:

"When I first climbed down the ladder of Apollo 15's lunar module," he talked about the mountains and horizon. And then Irwin talked about colors, "But the real surprise was that the mountains, at first sight, were not grey or brown as I had expected. They were golden. Looking to the south and east, I saw the reflection of the early morning sun glancing off the mountains, especially Hadley Delta, give them a glow of gold."

Does the moon have gold in them thar hills? Will the Chinese continue posting earthy-toned, brown-toned images in the face of what NASA has insisted is a gray-scale moon?
edit on 12/15/2013 by SayonaraJupiter because: edit tags

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join