It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China lands Jade Rabbit robot rover on Moon

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Where is the crater left behind by the engine thrust, and where is the dust that is supposed to be covering the lander and lading pads after being blown into a cloud all around the lander -- as the Apollo hoax proponents claim should be there?

edit on 12/16/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

I did it just to bug you. I was going to write labbit but as an ATS inside joke I participated. You Sir are not a team player

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Panic2k11
reply to post by Chamberf=6

I did it just to bug you. I was going to write labbit but as an ATS inside joke I participated. You Sir are not a team player

Then several others were in on the joke too, because you're not the only one who spelled it that way.

And no, I guess I'm not a team player because there is no "I" in team.

edit on 12/16/2013 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

crazyewok

IamSirDrinksalot
China can have the moon, the Mericans are going for Mars cos its bigger. The only problem its red, and red is communist....

NASA is so far behind its a joke. It will be another 10 years most likley before they will even put another man in space on there own. It will be mid 2030's before they even get to mars.

Russia and even ESA have plans for much sooner.

USA is lagging and lagging bad!

Whoa... Take a breath there on NASA. It's not *THAT* far behind by any stretch of the imagination. They shelved some of the very high profile and high value programs, so in a public way? It looks real real bad. I mean, hitching rides from the Russians to visit our own station? Thats...wrong.

Despite Orion and of course the Shuttle program being scrapped, there is no agency in the world remotely close for operational systems in space and actively running missions in and OUT of our Solar System (given Voyagers are outbound).

NASA has stumbled in some areas, while getting stronger in others (Mars exploration is beyond anything achieved before and largely in the past few years for that). While things which may be life and death to Earth as a planet, like the activity of our Sun, does take priority and NASA is supporting and assisting the daily operation of what is watching the Sun in 360 degree viewing ...for the first time in history, I'd add... and also part of what came online in just the last few years.

So I think NASA's progress and maintaining position is VERY relative to what area of work and research in Space is being looked at. Manned stuff? I hope commercial options move faster. Unmanned and deep space activity? I can't say we're unmatched..not exactly...but it's real close to being an accurate statement.
edit on 16-12-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

crazyewok

IamSirDrinksalot
China can have the moon, the Mericans are going for Mars cos its bigger. The only problem its red, and red is communist....

NASA is so far behind its a joke. It will be another 10 years most likley before they will even put another man in space on there own. It will be mid 2030's before they even get to mars.

Russia and even ESA have plans for much sooner.

USA is lagging and lagging bad!

Okay, while I agree that NASA is not really going anywhere with manned space flight (You can thank Obama for that), I still fail to see how NASA is "lagging behind".

First: not one other country on the face of this Earth has landed a human being on another world or moon, except for the US and NASA.

You (and others) are acting like the rover from China, Yutu, was a manned mission. Until China (or another country) has actually done this, it is they that are "lagging behind". Even then, they need to exceed the number we put up out there.

So they have plans with goals that are earlier than NASA's. A lot of people and countries have plans. Sometimes those plans come to true and happen. Sometimes they do not (for one reason or another).

For example: Back in 2004, President George W. Bush announced:

Our second goal is to develop and test a new spacecraft, the Crew Exploration Vehicle, by 2008, and to conduct the first manned mission no later than 2014. The Crew Exploration Vehicle will be capable of ferrying astronauts and scientists to the Space Station after the shuttle is retired. But the main purpose of this spacecraft will be to carry astronauts beyond our orbit to other worlds. This will be the first spacecraft of its kind since the Apollo Command Module.

With the idea that this new space craft, Orion, with the Ares launching system would get us back to the moon by 2020 or sooner.

Source

And of course President Obama killed that plan, insisting that we take a much longer route to Mars....with no budget or space craft really.

So plans can change. Attitudes can change. Things happen.

However, you and others are acting like because other countries have plans, that they've already done it! I believe the old saying is: "counting your chickens before the eggs hatch."

How many of these other countries have space probes and craft on, around or in orbit of other worlds?
And of those that do: how many do they have? How many successful missions have they done?

July 2015, New Horizons will pass by Pluto and give us the first up close and detailed pictures of that world. Who sent it? NASA. Just earlier that same year, the DAWN space craft will visit Ceres....who else has gotten there? No one.

Juno is on it's way to Jupiter. First was Pioneer 10 (NASA)....then Voyager 1 (NASA), then Voyager 2 (NASA)....then Galileo (NASA)......and now Juno (NASA).

I didn't see China up there in my last statement...

How many space craft has China gotten to Saturn?

So I still fail to see how NASA is "lagging behind".

I think it's great that China was able to do something like put a rover on the moon. Good for them! I think that's better than being the first country to launch a nuclear strike against another country, so it seems to me that they are doing something right now in a very positive manner.

Again: I do agree that NASA's manned program is a former shadow of itself. But there's a very good reason for that:

Politicians.

One president tried to get them back on their feet. The next one kicked their feet back out from under them.

Stop being angry at NASA. Put your anger were it should be: politicians.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Gosh. Anyone else notice how this, you know, looks EXACTLY like all of NASA's footage? Time to readjust your conspiracy theories, kids! Clearly China is in on it too, lol!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Soylent Green Is People
Where is the crater left behind by the engine thrust, and where is the dust that is supposed to be covering the lander and lading pads after being blown into a cloud all around the lander -- as the Apollo hoax proponents claim should be there?

Actually they shut off the engines when lander was at the height of 4 meters above the ground, so it was a 4 meter free fall.
That could explain the absence of dust.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Soylent Green Is People

Nice to see that stupid tinfoil make a re-appearance too

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

zilebeliveunknown

Soylent Green Is People

Actually they shut off the engines when lander was at the height of 4 meters above the ground, so it was a 4 meter free fall.
That could explain the absence of dust.

Quite true. As was the case with the Apollo Lunar Module (LM).

The Apollo LM had a 5-foot long contact probe protruding from the bottom of the landing pads. When the contact probe indicated that it touched the surface, the astronauts shut down the LM's engines. Therefore, the Apollo LM was also in free-fall for about 1.5 meters before landing.

However, moon hoax proponents don't seem to understand that stuff (or want to understand, lest it goes against their NEED to believe in a Moon hoax).

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

guohua
reply to post by scotsdavy1

I posted this about China's achievement

You're right, China's achievement, and China does Everything For A reason

China won't got to the Moon just to go, They plan to mine the Moon and put in place on the Moon a permanent Colony to advance their Space exploration and mining of the Moons resources.
China has a plan for every thing and a long range goal to meet, the Moon and Mars is part of their Plan.
edit on 14-12-2013 by guohua because: (no reason given)

Good for them, i hope they do set up a permanent manned base and start mining the moon...it's about time someone started doing it, if we'd have had to wait for the USA to stop dithering about the place, we'd never have a base there.

I

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Soylent Green Is People

Well isn't it obvious SGIP?

The atmosphere that isn't supposed to be there created a sudden gust and blew it off.

Blimey...don't you skeptics ever learn facts?!

Relax, only kidding.

BTW, do you or anyone else have a direct link to the official Chinese images for this mission please?

They have around 4500 images already, although most of them are not being posted online (mores the pity), but they are making some available, i'm buggered if i can find them...only reprints from news outlets so far.

edit on 16-12-2013 by MysterX because: added more info

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

sirhumperdink
reply to post by onebigmonkey

well the immediate benefits of mining wouldnt really be financial in nature (not until there are more cost effective ways of moving the material)
but rather to enable the production of necessary items on location rather than having to go through the immense cost and difficulty of sending it from earth so that a colony can not only sustain itself but actual expand itself

unless the red's real goal is mars.....

they set up a facility on the moon, for the purpose of extracting, processing, storing, and dispensing h3..

either build ships in orbit of earth, or build them in orbit around the moon, use the facility for maintenance, and refueling, and off they go..

another thing...everyone is talking about mining the bejesus out of the moon....unless they're planning to replace the mass they remove, with something else, i foresee problems with this plan..

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
For laughs, I thought I'd see what Richard Hoagland has had to say about the Chinese mission to the Moon.

But a search of the news, his website, his facebook page, twitter, google search of the last 24 hours and other stuff reveals...
...nothing.

How dare he not entertain us!

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Chamberf=6
Just bugging me... Wrabbit2000 is an ATS member, a rabbit is an animal...can't believe how many people are misspelling this common word--even if it does translate to "jade rabbit", it's still a rabbit, not an ATS member on the moon.

i believe it's done jokingly....kind of a "see what i did there?" kind of thing..

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Hellhound604
reply to post by wildespace

"Also, this interesting tidbit about plans for Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter observations, from a comment on a previous Chang'e post: "LRO will be attempting to collect spectrographic data from the LAMP instrument as close to the landing time as possible, primarily to see the rocket plume and the dust kicked up from the landing. The camera will image the lander some time after the landing, but even at the spectacular resolution of the LRO Camera, there probably won't be much more than a blur to see."

I read there' s no dust in a vaccuum ? (No vaccuum cleaner pun intended lol) Apparently dust would be heavily compressed and not act like it does in an atmosphere. Unless there's an atmosphere NASA didn't tell us about...
edit on 16-12-2013 by uktorah because: The quote didn't work first time

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

uktorah
I read there' s no dust in a vaccuum ? (No vaccuum cleaner pun intended lol) Apparently dust would be heavily compressed and not act like it does in an atmosphere.

There can be dust in a vacuum.
In both an atmosphere and a vacuum a rocket exhaust will blow some dust about.

The difference is that in an atmosphere, the stuff can "hang about" for a long time, whereas in a vacuum it falls straight back onto the ground.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Yes you got it erik I am a bit surprised that wildspace didn't.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

alfa1

uktorah
I read there' s no dust in a vaccuum ? (No vaccuum cleaner pun intended lol) Apparently dust would be heavily compressed and not act like it does in an atmosphere.

There can be dust in a vacuum.
In both an atmosphere and a vacuum a rocket exhaust will blow some dust about.

The difference is that in an atmosphere, the stuff can "hang about" for a long time, whereas in a vacuum it falls straight back onto the ground.

From 'Moongate' ...

A vacuum condition on the Moon would also cause dust particles on the surface to behave much differently than on Earth. The nature of the Moon's surface in a vacuum is easily predicted by a simple experime
nt. The following summary of such an experiment was written from information found in Exploration of the Moon by Franklyn M. Branley. 2 Fred Whipple of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory in
Cambridge, Massachusetts contended that dust particles would become tightly packed together without gases to filter in between and separate them. Consequently, Whipple and his supporters maintained that dust is so compacted on the Moon that a strong crust capable of supporting men and their
vehicles would exist. An experiment to verify this was conducted by Dwain Bowen of The North American Aviation Company. A steel ball was released into a container of fine dust-like particles and promp
tly sank. When the ball was dropped under the same conditions in a near vacuum, the ball stopped at the surface. The resulting crust consisted of dust particles so compacted that a semisolid was created capable
of supporting the ball. Even Wernher von Braun seemed to agree with the above logic in his 1971 book, Space Frontier! 3 He stated that he and many people had always held that there cannot be very much
loose dust on the Moon. Von Braun mentioned that a simple experiment shows that dust in a vacuum, such as on the Moon, becomes hard-packed, and that adjacent dust particles will fuse together into a Moon Atmospheric Theory Prior to the Space Program 85 pumice-like substance. From the information just presented, it is clear that no dust could exist in a near vacuum. If the Moon had only one-sixth of Ea
rth's surface gravity, it could not hold an atmosphere and the surface would be nearly as hard as compacted dirt.
edit on 16-12-2013 by uktorah because: Bad formatting the first time round!

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

alfa1

eriktheawful
I believe what wmd is talking about is those who refer to the LROC as being fake images generated by NASA.

Showing detailed terrain from the LROC site and then comparing them to the Jade Rabbit rover images of the surrounding terrain would vindicate the LROC.

Here we go.
From the links that wildespace gave.

I've cropped, adjusted for contrast, and rotated the LRO image 180 degrees so thats its an obvious match to the casual reader, but obviously didnt edit any of the actual content...

Its a field of view about 500m wide.
The landing zone is just off the bottom of the image.

Nice it will be interesting to see what the usual suspects have to say about this!

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Daedalus

another thing...everyone is talking about mining the bejesus out of the moon....unless they're planning to replace the mass they remove, with something else, i foresee problems with this plan..

That's always my first thought when I hear people discussing mining the resources of the moon. The moon has such a significant daily impact on our world, how can anyone in their right mind think that changing the current equilibrium is ok?

In my small walnut brain, I would think less moon mass equals the moon moving out of earths orbit sooner than it would naturally do so. Now maybe if that mass is transferred to Earth, the Earth creates additional gravitational pull to offset the loss of moon mass???

I don't know, to me it just seems like a really, really bad idea to wholesale remove lunar mass.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join