It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

move out of the West because you're spiritual?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I live in Sweden. It's probably one of the least spiritual places on the planet. I'm fed up with the shallow materialist feminist people here. Here are the shallow materialists and then there's the dogmatic immigrants that grew up in a religion and never questioned it. Not much in between. I have been thinking about maybe moving outside the Western world. Maybe Africa, Middle East or South Asia. Or is there some better place? Ideas?
edit on 361231Sat, 14 Dec 2013 04:36:12 -0600201312pAmerica/Chicago2013-12-14T04:36:12-06:0031 by introspectionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by introspectionist

I've traveled a lot. You'll find disappointment everywhere.

Be happy and find yourself, and you don't need to worry about other people. I suppose traveling can help with that sometimes, but it can also bring a real empty feeling to look for yourself in other countries.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

I also travelled alot when I was younger and It sure opened up my eyes to see how well off we are in the western world, but even in desperate poverty I saw happiness, maybe because they do not know better but It really did destroy me, when I returned I was so depressed, I just think you don't really know what it is like until you see it.
OP do it, you will meet many amazing people, When I was in Nam I was shocked how kind people are despite having nothing they would still invite me into their homes for a meal and a good drink and even though the language is different we still found ways to communicate and have a laugh.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I'm thinking I could live in another country just for a few months or years or without any plan of how long. I could move back but it might be an experience. I lived in another country in the West for 4 months and I learned a lot even though it's not hugely different from my country since all of the West has a lot in common. The problem is that I don't have an education and I'm poor.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I wonder what it's like to live in Mumbai. I can hardly imagine a place more different from Sweden. I've also heard that it's much more free there. Not like in Sweden where the government has laws for every detail of your existence.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I have also traveled the world but once of the places I love to return to is Bali.

The people there have a special energy, as if everything comes from the heart, you can see the love in their eyes.

It has changed a lot over the years, but staying out of the main tourist areas you can still feel and live the essence of the unconditional love in the air.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

introspectionist
The problem is that I don't have an education and I'm poor.

Theres lots of places where volunteering gets you free food and shelter..

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Living in your neighboring country, Finland. Your complaint could pretty much sum it up for Finland as well. Spent almost a year in India when I was twenty years of age (over 20 years ago). I was depressed with the way of the world when I left, eventually came back and noticed little had changed back home but my outlook on life, existence or whatever had totally changed. I still don't fit in or agree with how things are run back in my home country, but I have an existence.

The trick is to make the grass greener on your side of the fence with your every day thoughts, choices and actions. The past folds into the present and unfolds into the future. You have a choice, use it. I admit, as a poster on this thread already remarked, when you haven't been elsewhere it may be difficult to see forest from the trees...

Good luck and wishes to you anyway, whatever you may choose. :-)
edit on 14-12-2013 by TatTvamAsi because: Spelling mistake

edit on 14-12-2013 by TatTvamAsi because: .. and another one... Am I developing dyslexia? :-)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
There are a lot of things in this world that you can run away and hide from, but yourself is not one of them.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

Where did I say I wanted to get away from myself? Why even bother travelling at all if you're implying "my country" follows me like a shadow. It appears it does not.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I'm not sure why you think you're 'spiritual' as compared to your homeland where they're all 'materialistic shallow feminists' or immigrants with their own (admittedly as far as I'm concerned) weird religious ideas. I've always thought of the Scandinavian countries as bastions of progressive thought in many ways, but maybe that's 'anti-spiritual' to you. Too bad about their immigration policies though; their culture-clash problems are only just starting. It won't end well unless both sides are very much interested in growing and learning.

I would recommend more education preferably in a different country (lots easier to get a student visa than any other kind), take out loans if you have to, and get the education in a 'spiritual' field such as psychology, teaching or divinity school, something that will eventually lead to your not being so poor, hopefully. Or just read more and learn more and think more and maybe spend less time on internet forums for conspiracy theorists, or whatever you call this place. Lots of the stuff herein can be a bit... depressing.

Or start a small business and grow it and get your exposure to new ideas and new people that way. I recommend aquaponics to anyone who has a small bit of land to work with even if you can borrow it; you can produce a very good income with a few hours of work a day. There's tons of material both written and video on line about it and a few hundred dollars will get you started. In a Northern climate, your produce will be in high demand.

Go to a local college if possible and get tested to see where your strengths and weaknesses might be; find something, ANYthing, that turns you on and that you enjoy. Think of how you could get training in that field to become employable. And if you live with or are friends with soul-sucking vampire people that seem to drain your energy by being around them, find new acquaintances and let the others fade. Life is too short.

Mostly, I think you're depressed and it might be because you've spent your whole life in a less than sunny climate. I know I had to get out of upstate NY which is close to the same latitude as you to feel like I was awake and to have energy. The Scandinavian countries are high in alcoholism for a reason, people are depressed by the lack of light. Research 'SAD', seasonal affective disorder, if this is a new concept for you. If you can afford it, take large dose Vitamin D regularly. Most people at high latitudes are deficient.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Some Swedes call us Finns heathens around here. I am supposed to be half Sweede, but am actually a person who's ancestors came from the Lapland areas of Finland. So I am a heathen I guess, a person who loves to interact with nature instead of living in cities. I like visiting big cities but when I go there, I locate people like me, not the stuck up upper class busy bodies that control them. So I like being a heathen I guess, I would rather talk to a deer than a city commissioner. I get along better with loggers, construction workers, restaurant workers, and factory workers than with the people who think they are prestigious. I guess I believe that it is better to live around common people.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Find a city, some where in the world

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Have you seen this movie from 2010 called Eat, Pray, Love? Maybe you are on the right track & need some spiritual adventure.
Watch this movie if you haven't already seen it. Here is the trailer

new topics

top topics

join