It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: For cheap Nanotubes, Just add water

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Japenese Scientist Kenji Hata and colleagues from the National Institute of Adv. Industrial Sci. & Tech. in Tsukuba have developed a new, cheaper method of fabricating CNTs(Carbon Nanotubes) for Commercial usage. Simply adding Water Vapor to current methods of creating CNTs, will enhance catalytic activity which results in massive growth of dense forests of nanotubes with heights up to 2.5 mm that can be easily be refined to achieve 99.98% purity.

www.betterhumans.com
Simply adding water vapor to a method of creating carbon nanotubes could allow them to be cheaply grown in large quantities for commercial use.

While nanotubes are prohibitively expensive at about US$500 per gram, Japanese researcher Kenji Hata and colleagues from the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology in Tsukuba report that by using water vapor they have been able to easily grow nanotube sheets, pillars and other shapes.

If their method can be scaled up, it could provide a feasible way of producing nanotubes for such things as faster computer circuits.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is in my opinion one of the biggest breakthrough in the Nano field to date. I havn't found anything on how much this method will reduce the cost of CNT fabrication, but even if it doesn't reduce the cost at all, it will still be significant because it makes refining CNTs so much easier. The nano field is progressing faster than anyone expected, and with this new breakthrough who knows what type of commercial products will become available. Maybe even the space elevator will start to get some consideration by policy makers now.

Related News Links:
www.betterhumans.com
www.betterhumans.com
www.betterhumans.com
www.betterhumans.com

[edit on 11-19-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Good article sardion2000.

I hope their method can be scaled up.

Surf

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Hey surfup did you check any of the related stories attached? You may have already heard or read about some of these stories they are interesting reads nontheless.

Nanotech Bikes Rolling Out

Nanotube Superfibers

Nano Conveyor belt

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Hey surfup did you check any of the related stories attached? You may have already heard or read about some of these stories they are interesting reads nontheless.

Nanotech Bikes Rolling Out

Nanotube Superfibers

Nano Conveyor belt

Will do now.

Surf

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Here are more links that is sorta related.

www.spaceelevator.com...

and here is yet another new story about Nanofibers...i guess I'll have to write an ATSNN story for this one as well(that is unless someone already beat me to the punch)

www.betterhumans.com...

And here is my ATSNN submission.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 19-11-2004 by sardion2000]

top topics

join