It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: America Has Now Become a Nation of “Tent Cities”

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   

justreleased
reply to post by nighthawk1954

I think people are just lazy. They want a home, a car they want to go on vacation but they don't want to work.

For most of us it's a fact that if you want a paycheck you need to work for somebody else . Don't tell me there's no work available because that's bs. It may not be the job you want but I'm sure it's better than living in a "tent city".

Are you kidding me? I'm sure someone would rather have a job than live in a tent city. And I happen to know that the economic hit to the generation of people under 30 is so bad, that for the first time in American history, they are projected to be worse off than their parents -

And guess what, by 50%. That's right, people under 30 are projected to be worth 50% less than their parents were. And most of them I know are hard-working and care a lot about their community -

I've seen more hard work out of people under 30 than I ever saw from the Baby Boomer generation, and I grew up with them, I'm just being realistic here.

I will explain this in a bit, though - I think you might be right about people under 30 being gun-shy of a 9-5 job. But the availability of them is probably an equal factor.

-----

So people under 30 might not have an easy job that pays a $40,000 salary and is guaranteed with retirement - but that's not entirely their fault, the system where the 9-5, Monday through Friday job with job security and retirement that is guaranteed to you after graduating college does not exist anymore.

Now, even after graduating college, people are having to snag jobs like pizza delivery - where they might not even get compensated for gas, and end up working odd hours, not getting full-time, and in addition to that, they are earning less than minimum wage because of all of the shenanigans.

I have had to work door-to-door sales, computer tech (I got 4 hours a month there), math tutoring, freelance reporting, and I finally started my own business and also have a band going. Now, I'm looking for a more solid job - but at least I managed to keep doing something productive for 4 years after graduating college.

I will allow, though, that some people under 30 are gun-shy about the 9-5 job - I was for a while after college - but I actually think if it is possible to get one, it provides a lot more job security, and hobbies or other interests can be pursued after work at any rate.

I found it was really stressful to be pursuing my business and band as my main income source, I would much rather have them be hobbies.

As I continue on with this path of thinking, I don't want to have my source of income be unpredictable, and even though I like creative projects, there is more freedom with them if I have a budget related to my boring, predictable work week.
edit on 14amSat, 14 Dec 2013 03:20:15 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 14amSat, 14 Dec 2013 03:21:34 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 14amSat, 14 Dec 2013 03:23:28 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   

justreleased

I think people are just lazy. They want a home, a car they want to go on vacation but they don't want to work.

For most of us it's a fact that if you want a paycheck you need to work for somebody else . Don't tell me there's no work available because that's bs. It may not be the job you want but I'm sure it's better than living in a "tent city".

I'm honestly sickened to the core by this response. It's people like you, with attitudes like yours and the propensity to be able to put horse binders on when it suits you, that have aided to the deterioration of your once fine country and enable those with money to further rort and extort the rest of the populace.

But go ahead, keep those binders on. I, for one, cannot take somebody like you seriously and I most certainly will not be reading any of your posts in the future as being anything other than a steaming pile of fecal matter.

For shame.

edit on 14/12/2013 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   

yes exactly nighthawk. well said.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

fenian8

beezzer

fenian8
Beezer, i have seen your posts on ATS a lot and have always read them and come to the conclusion that you are a well balanced, understanding, compassionate and knowledgeable human being. Until this thread.

I'm the same person that I've always been.

Well fair enough and Merry Christmas from someone who can`t get work, can`t afford running hot water in my own home let alone heating, will not be having a turkey dinner this xmas day and can`t afford to go and spend time with relatives this coming festive season, nor them with me.

If only i had your spirit and good fortune hey.

Maybe if a few million other people had your spirit, good fortune and attitude we could accomplish an idealistic world with decent paid jobs for everyone, no matter what their circumstance or disabilities may be and we could pretend that poverty and the reasons for it don`t exsist anymore????

Brilliant. Again, Merry Christmas.

Can't afford hot water, heat, or turkey dinner yet here you are on the internet?

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Attack the messenger not the message?

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Someones clearly never heard of public Wifi.

Nor has that same someone heard of 3G internet on a prepaid plan.

This certain someone also mustn't have heard of friends who might kindly let one use their PC and Internet.

Shall I go on?

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Friends that would offer the use of internet and computer, but not share turkey dinner on xmas? Using public wifi also requires a device that would connect to said wifi that could surely be sold for heat instead? I could also go on.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

You're really clutching at straws aren't you?

Perhaps you and that other poster could share a set of horse blinders?

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Clutching the same straws that you are, just on the other end is all. Maybe we can share a pair of horse blinders as well?

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Kryties
reply to post by SpaDe_

You're really clutching at straws aren't you?

Perhaps you and that other poster could share a set of horse blinders?

Perhaps you could post a on topic reply?

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

My reply IS on-topic. It is showing absolute disgust at the psychopathic way people who have money treat those who don't.

It's the "dog eat dog" attitude that comes from people with psychopathic tendencies that has caused most of the economic and poverty related issues that are saturating the world today.

These people prefer to wear blinders and blame it on the poor people than look at the ACTUAL reasons that cause the issues in the first place.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Oh really genius? sell your device that can connect to the internet for heat? You're an economic and intellectual freaking titan aren't you?

Seriously man? have you tried to do ANYTHING without a working phone, email account, place to store non hard copy digital information etc?

Hint: IT"S IMPOSSIBLE TO LIVE THAT WAY GENIUS

God people like you are sickening

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by roguetechie

If the situation is that bad surely they could get an Obamaphone? And yes you can live without those things, but food and shelter you cannot. So selling those things for food,heat, and shelter would be the "economically correct" thing to do in a situation like that. Sorry, but I will not suffer in the cold with an empty stomach while clutching an Iphone or any other piece of tech because some genius tells me it's important.
edit on 12/14/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

(post by Kryties removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

oh and just wanted to say...

My turkey dinner... yeah it's already bought and in the freezer and cupboards... my heat... yeah my home is a nice toasty 70 degrees (we turn it down to 65 at night to economize). We have a car we have multiple internet connected devices we have multiple income streams and really comparatively we're not anywhere close to middle class but things could be a hell of a lot worse!

With all that being said though, 3 years ago I ate thanksgiving at a church and only got that because there are still some people in the world that realize their good fortune could evaporate at any time and act accordingly.

The one thing i'm seeing in this thread is a dog eat dog race to the bottom mentality that helps no one but the uber rich!

Politically I'm more or less a rabid conservative but being a conservative and even having a strong belief in personal responsibility doesn't mean you have to believe that people should be made to suffer the rest of their lives for a mistake or miscalculation. It means that I refuse to take what I don't need if it's offered to me by people trying to give back. It means that I can hold my head up knowing that I fought my way back from adversity while still acknowledging the people who held their hand out at just the right time to help me back up. It means that I can, will, and do fight extra hard to carve out a nice secure place for myself in the world so when the time comes for me to reach out my hand to the next guy or girl who's fighting their way back up I've got solid ground to stand on while i grab their hand and hold on for dear life! You know why?

Not because anyone is looking or because i want kudos but because it's the RIGHT THING TO DO GODDAMNIT!

If you're one of those people with an indomitable spirit and drive that has fought for your place in the world and life is good, you are to be congratulated. But what you should NOT be is so self satisfied and smug as to think all of your hard work can't vanish in a split second! What you should NOT be is so selfish as to think that because you had it hard and fought your way through it that everyone should have to go through that! What you should NOT be is unwilling to reach out and grab one of the good people reaching up from the sea of hopelessness to give them a hand!

Because that ladies and gentlemen is what communities are made of! Communities are a bond forged in both good times and bad! Communities are the people you have laughed with, cried with, and bled with. That is what made this country great at one point! The fact that you could screw your life up elsewhere and come here and get another opportunity! That you weren't judged by your name or your pedigree or how posh your accent was (or in modern times by how clean your background check is and how high your credit score is) You were judged on WHAT YOU COULD DO! the strength of your character!

So I hope maybe just one of you thinks about this for even a second, because right now we're sorely in need of people willing to fight to make things better not just carve out their own place in the world.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by justreleased

So OP, if I understand you correctly, you bought your house and car cash? All paid-off and all that? You have no debt, no loans, you pay everything cash as you go?

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

People who are homeless, will chose to stay in a tent city or on the streets, because of the crime in most shelters.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

roguetechie

Not because anyone is looking or because i want kudos but because it's the RIGHT THING TO DO GODDAMNIT!

Because that ladies and gentlemen is what communities are made of! Communities are a bond forged in both good times and bad! Communities are the people you have laughed with, cried with, and bled with. That is what made this country great at one point! The fact that you could screw your life up elsewhere and come here and get another opportunity! That you weren't judged by your name or your pedigree or how posh your accent was (or in modern times by how clean your background check is and how high your credit score is) You were judged on WHAT YOU COULD DO! the strength of your character!

Right on, man. Your good fortune can vanish in a flash. We need to get back together as communities, not asking government to do it for us, or assume that someone else will help. Our communities need to unite to provide the kind of world we want to see.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

beezzer

Have you ever noticed that when a republican is in office, all the news is about is the homeless and tent cities.

Yet when a liberal gets in office, the homeless problem never makes the news anymore.

SnF for your noble efforts!

Nope, haven't noticed that.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

justreleased

So what you're saying is that we have a sudden outbreak of laziness. Plenty of jobs out there. Get to work America. Learn to live on subsistence wages. It's the future. Of course there is always going the genius who is going to be able to operate within the system at great advantage to himself. Those people less skilled, f**k em.

I think we are all going to be reminded what hunger can do to a person. "To much of nothing just makes a fellow mean."

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join